• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Nicknames

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
Years
  • Of course, I always name my Pokémon!

I like my nicknames to have some meaning behind them, even if they're stupid or silly. It's rare, but sometimes I do just give them random names like "Charles", my Liepard in my monodark Black run.

Right now I'm doing the Alfheim challenge, and my team is Milo the Skorupi (Because Scorpio Milo), Barbara the Zubat (Barbara Gordon), Davey the Tentacool (Davy Jones has tentacles on his face :P) and Megara the Heracross (Megara is Heracles' wife in Greek Mythology).

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2021
    I try to always nickname my shinies, but after all these years, I am not so attached to others, and nuzlockes are not for me. The effort it takes to acquire shinies means that I can more easily grow attached to them, though there are still a lot of them I have not decided on the nicknames for. Below are some of the ones I have done already - as you can see, I do not go with one style when nicknaming.

Spoiler:

Prominent among those I am working on nicknames for at the moment is my gorgeous Crobat, who performed far above expectations recently with a Nasty Plot/Salac Berry combination that took my opponent quite by surprise. I am thinking of going with Skypiercer, but would not mind suggestions.

Last edited:

Shin'en

Shin
    Years
  • I nickname my Pokemon if I had the time, I usually Name them Unique Words or Just Names That Fits Them.

I Nicknamed My Adamant Necrozma : Adamantium

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • As much as I'd like some cool nicknames for Pokemon, I've got a small dumb idiot brain and can't think of them most of the time.

Usually its just random name that I think of, but the ones that stick the most just sort of come when they come. My best ones are usually the actually clever/ones I made as a kid.

Personal favourite nicknames for me would be Precious for the Dragonite line (specifically I aim for Female ones) and the duo of Lacie and Lacey for Glaceon and Sylveon.

Years
  • favourite nicknames for me would be Precious for the Dragonite line (specifically I aim for Female ones) and the duo of Lacie and Lacey for Glaceon and Sylveon.

These are incredibly cute! I have a few nicknames I'm especially attached to and if I thought of these myself they'd probably be one of those haha. Lacey and Lacie is especially adorable ❤️

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I just started nicknaming pokemon, and honestly I don't know how i got through the games without it before.
    I usually only name my favorites though, ones that will for sure have a place in my time, but also only when I feel it fits.
    nevermind I already named my bidoof Shaggy. ;)

Shaggy? Yay I like it. I'll keep it in mind for my next bidoof.
    And YES! I never nicknamed Pokemon before. It's weird. I do it now for all pokemon i think I'll be using in my main team but earlier I liked following the anime.

My main team gets nicknamed.

HM slaves are named "Cut" or "Rock Smash". (Whatever HM I need them for)..

XD This made my day. Wohoho didn't actually think someone would do that. That's actually convenient!

I usually use pop culture references for mine. My favorite is Leonardo for my Squirtle.
    I didn't get the reference ;-; I'm not well versed with pop culture but this piques my interest.

I used to dislike nicknaming pokemon as a child but then I got used to it. THought it was more personal. I mostly make up names, if not I use names of characters from other games. For example, Alex, a Gyarados I have in Omega Ruby, is named after the Golden Sun character Alex, who's a really powerful water magic user. Stuff like that.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I play Pokemon while on the bus, so I name them after stuff I see passing by.

Opening up my gameboy crystal right now
    -Shopi the Zubat
    -Beta the Wooper
    -Snowflake the Cleffa
    -Flan the Geodude
    -Air the Stantler
    -Chew the Rattata

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Shaggy? Yay I like it. I'll keep it in mind for my next bidoof.
    And YES! I never nicknamed Pokemon before. It's weird. I do it now for all pokemon i think I'll be using in my main team but earlier I liked following the anime.

I didn't get the reference ;-; I'm not well versed with pop culture but this piques my interest.

Ok I can tell you what it references. its tmnt the old cartoon teenage mutant ninja turtles because squirtle is a cool turtle.
    One of the turtles is named Leonardo.

Oh and naming my bidoof shaggy is also a reference, its not just scooby doo, but the whole ultra instinct(dragon ball super reference) shaggy meme. you should check it if you missed it, so hilarious.

here's one of my favorites
    -meme post - warning includes song with light swearing.

because in blaze black bidoof has moody. and then I gave my bidoof the move stored power XD. so its op as heck.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I play Pokemon while on the bus, so I name them after stuff I see passing by.

Opening up my gameboy crystal right now
    -Shopi the Zubat
    -Beta the Wooper
    -Snowflake the Cleffa
    -Flan the Geodude
    -Air the Stantler
    -Chew the Rattata

Ok now I'm wondering what you saw when you named that Wooper.. and that Stantler lol.

Years
  • I never nickname my Pokemon during my personal playthroughs because I suck at coming up with names. However recently on my Twitch streams we have been picking names based on things like food and it's been fun, so maybe in my next personal playthrough I actually will.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Never nicknames during casual playthroughs. Agonizes over creating good names. Applies to all games. Prefers to spend that time playing instead.

Nicknames Pokemon for challenge runs. Follows the theme of the run. Helps to have a list to choose from.

Back