• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adobe: Flash to be shelved by end of 2020

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Hopefully webmasters able to shift their content to HTML5 before the deadline or suffers heavy drawback of abandoned flash

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • One thing I can be sure of is that it will be remembered, I still recall years ago when YouTube used Adobe Flash player to play videos on the platform and so I had to install it separately every time I formatted a PC, but that certainly became a thing of the past. This is overall a victory for the internet, no more need for external plugins which are annoying to deal with and that can also leave huge security breaches like the ones we heard about Adobe Flash.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I have a soft spot for Flash animations and the like, so it's disappointing news to me. (Heck, even did a high school programming project in Actionscript 2.0 within Flash.)

Is there even an alternative like it, curiously...?

Guest123_x1

I was wondering when we'd finally see an end-of-life for Flash as a product. That software has absolutely gone down the toilet since Adobe took over previous owner Macromedia. (Same story for Java since Oracle took over Sun Microsystems.) Then again, the vast majority of Adobe's products are utterly bloated crap. (Heck, I prefer to use the built-in PDF capabilities in recent browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and Edge over downloading Adobe Reader. Plus, even if I could afford them, I wouldn't touch Photoshop or Creative Cloud with a ten-foot pole!)

Web developers, especially for games and multimedia, will have a whole ton of work to do over the next couple of years to get their content off of Flash and onto HTML5.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Good. Hopefully this forces MLBAM to update their GameDay Audio player to something that isn't Flash.

Years
  • Finally! Flash has been a massive security risk and its even bigger for me because I'm using Linux. 2020 is a long time away, hopefully developers can move swiftly to alternatives.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    I also have a soft spot for Flash.. One of my very first projects back when I was studying game design was an Asteroids clone in Actionscript..

While I've always kinda liked Flash, it never really managed to follow the fast development of other techs. On the other hand, html5 hasn't really improved in the past few years either and is still quite vulnerable security-wise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but html5 is mostly client-side, which opens up a lot of opportunities for abuse.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how web devs react and adapt to the situation. This is a topic I'll be following closely for the next few years!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I have some concerns about Flash when it's slated to close down anytime soon, because I think some sites are still depending on Flash (including some video/streaming sites that I visited on), and I'm still digging some animations/interaction games that are done with Flash in a way. Besides, I used to work on personal projects on Flash back in the day as well, so it's a sad news for me.

Now I'm wondering if any kind of Flash games or interactivity type can be ported to HTML5, or alternatively, hoping that HTML5 can be capable of processing Flash files without any vulnerability stuffs, so that the Flash still relevant in a way.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have some concerns about Flash when it's slated to close down anytime soon, because I think some sites are still depending on Flash (including some video/streaming sites that I visited on)
    And honestly, if these sites have plans to stay around or even keep visitors, they need to transition away from Flash and move towards utilizing HTML5 content.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Is this a victory for the internet in general? How many people really will heed Adobe's advice to hurry up and transition? When the date in 2020 comes that the final update is released and the final nail in Flash's coffin is hammered in, will it go out with a bang or will it silently draw the curtains and recede into the darkness?
    This is big victory for the Internet. Flash will silently draw the curtains and recede into the darkness because it's already pretty dead, Adobe has killed it on mobile devices.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I wonder what'll become of Flash animation, then...

Though, tbh, it was time. Flash is really old these days, and HTML5 is far superior.

Back