• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The best batch of fire

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    So I was thinking about how when Pokemon first came out I loved fire type Pokemon. They were easily my favorite type and I loved every single one. As the generations went on there were still ones I liked here and there, but I felt like overall they were declining as a type until the 5th generation brought out a few I really liked. Which brings me to my question, which generation released the best fire types in your opinion? Here's a link of all the fire types in order of generation as a refresher (newest generation picks up at the next starter except for victini in the 5th gen) ***NOTE: this isn't a favorite fire type thread it's a favorite generation of fire types***

Now when I say best I mean your definition of best, this can be based on anything. Whether you think they're the best because they're some of the strongest, best designed, most enjoyable to use, or your own biased opinion.

- In my opinion (I hate to be that person but...) I can't help but find the first generation of fire Pokemon to by my favorites. They're the only group where I find all the designs to be pleasing in some way (magmar took some time) and I've always just had the most enjoyable time when using them.

ZenonPrototype

Prodigy of Ice
    Years
  • Overall, I did enjoy first Gen more than any of the others. When Charizard was introduced, I guess I just grew sort of a liking to him. So I guess this is a biased opinion, if anything. I remember his Flamethrower very well...

Sirfetch’d

Idk really. 1st gen had the most enjoyable ones as I loved them all, but gen 3 had my two overall favorite fire types; Torchic and Blaziken. I'd say its a tie between those two generations.

Years
  • Now I might sound like that biased 5th gen nut saying this, but Generation V. It had Chandelure and Volcarona, two of the strongest Fire-types out there, and Darmanitan which hits for gigantic damage with Sheer Force. Victini certainly helped, too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have to agree with Flare here; although generation five might not have introduced as much fire-types as others, most that they actually had were all great and notable.

Volcarona is one of those which I personally find to be pretty outstanding. It's bug-fire, which is very unique and original, as there aren't any other Pokémon categorized in this particular type-combination aside from its own pre-evo, Larvesta. In terms of design, it looks pretty amazing also. As far as competitiveness goes, it's actually easy to utilize when it comes to that. Even if you're new to the scene, you should have no trouble using this Pokémon. As I've said in other threads, after only one use of Quiver Dance, Volcarona would instantly be ready for some heavy sweeping.

Alongside, Chandelure is another fire-type that out-stood in generation five of games, I believe. It's got a never-before-seen design, and thanks to its Shadow Tag ability, you're able to set up strategies without much trouble. Shadow Tag locks your opponent onto the field as long as you have Chandelure sent out, and you take advantage of this moment to bring your foe's Pokémon down. Have used this method plenty of times, and it's always worked.

Only fire Pokémon I'm personally not too fond of from Black and White is Emboar, but that's mostly because of its design; if only they'd put more thought into it.

Years
  • Based on numbers alone of the Pokemon that I like, I'm going to have to stick with the first generation as having the best Fire type Pokemon. Ninetales and Arcanine are already my two favorite Fire Pokemon overall, and adding Charizard, and even Moltres to the mix puts them ahead of the other generations in my eyes.

After Kanto, I would put Unova and Kalos in a tie for second place, as I like multiple Pokemon from each of those regions as well (Victini + Chandelure, Talonflame + Pyroar). As for Hoenn and Sinnoh, I can't say any of the Fire type Pokemon really caught my eye.

Years
  • I'm with Pendraflare and Peitharchia here as well and I'll say 5th Gen. I know I'm sounding biased because it's my fave generation but it had the most powerful Fire-types out there.

Volcarona was majestic but becomes a really potent special sweeper with the moves it needs to do the job well, and it does have a unique Bug/Fire typing which makes it all that more interesting.

Darmanitan is another hard-hitter on the physical end thanks to Sheer Force and the movepool to easily abuse it, a Fire Punch or Flare Blitz coming off that ape is destined to leave a dent on your team.

Chandelure is my fave of the bunch, with those purple ghostly flames, sky-high Special Attack stat and a unique Ghost/Fire combination. Also, all three members of its evolution line are also very cute, and comes with some nice abilities to use.

Emboar is surprisingly a Fire starter I actually like, and I do feel sorry for all the distaste the piggy gets and Tepig happens to be tied with Snivy for my second fave Unova starter (Oshawott's line will always be my fave, but I loved all the Unova starters in general). It's slower than the other two Fire/Fighting starters, but still has something to make it not too similar to the others.

And there's also the legendaries Victini and Reshiram, both of whom are also very majestic (cute in Victini's case) and strong.

Years
  • For me my favourite gens (in terms of fire) in order would be: 1, 2, 6, 3, 4 and 5.

I'm basing this on how many I like in each generation :) With Kanto I like 5 (Ninetales, Moltres, Charizard, Magmar and Rapidash); Johto is 4 (Typhlosion, Houndoom, Magby, Ho-Oh); Kalos is 2 (Fletchinder and Pyroar); Hoenn is also 2 (Torchic and Torkoal); Sinnoh is 1 (Magmortar) and Unova is also 1 (Reshiram) :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Even though Gen 5 has some cool ones like Volcarona, Chandelure and Reshiram, I still have to say Gen 1 wins this. The fire tiger and fox, the fire dragon, the phoenix bird and the fire unicorn. And as a bonus a weird magma 'mon and a cute lil rabbit/cat/fluffball thing. They just feel the most genuine still, compared to cartooney Pyroar or Fennekin, overly ambitious Darmanitan and Simisear, the frank lack of many fire types in Gen 3 and 4, and the more odd shapes of Gen 2 (even though Ho-oh is love).

Back