• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokémon Yellow - Gen. II Graphics Patch V1.1

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Pok?mon Yellow - Gen. II Graphics Patch V1.1

Hack Name: Pok?mon Yellow - Gen. II Graphics Patch

Hack of: Pok?mon Yellow

Pok?mon Yellow - Gen. II Graphics Repository

You guys have waited a long time for this, but here it is!

I finally remade my Gen II Graphics Hack for Pok?mon Yellow!

* Update: The EXP bar is now blue while playing in GBC mode! *

Summary of Features:
    • Pok?mon and trainer sprites taken from GSC
    • A few trainer sprites devamped from FRLG that did not exist in GSC
    • Updated all Pok?mon palettes, and added individual trainer class palettes, to match GSC
    • Pok?mon back sprites are now 48x48 and not zoomed in and pixelated
    • Many graphics updated to match GSC, such as battle HUD, font, and text box border
    • The Pok?ball tile is always red (instead of goofy colors) in battles, in the Pok?dex, and in the PC
    • The "Pok?mon owned" Pok?ball tile in wild battles, from GSC
    • Fully functional in-battle experience bar, from GSC

Videos:

Note that these are videos of my Red hack, but it works the same in this Yellow hack

Screenshots:
    Colorized Oak intro:
    rGY0oh2.png
    s5OKcEJ.png
    Cz3Mn5n.png
    nGU5XuT.png

New Trainer Sprites/Palettes:
    PePFo6q.png
    Uexdzdo.png

New Pok?mon Sprites/Palettes:
    NXgHs7U.png
    8lOyzpA.png

Oak:
    Cn2WTpX.png
    K0npu20.png

Old Man:
    FVlK9Ua.png
    XqCQwov.png

Blue EXP Bar (GBC mode only):
    hi3mpPp.png

"Pok?mon Owned" Pok?ball Tile:
    6EIhWp6.png

Colorized Box List and Pok?dex:
    2Rwov64.png
    1xJmS8x.png

Poketto's Sprites:
    UhiOnF4.png

Red Backsprite Revamp - Gambler Recolor - Channeler Recolor - Giovanni Recolor

Fire Red/Leaf Green Devamps:
    elalrFY.png

Old Man Backsprite (Mateo) - Enigneer (Luigi-San) - Cueball - Tamer - Lorelei - Agatha

Mateo's Oak Revamp:
    WZjuBEP.png

5LgZPXB.png
    Download:
    Pok?mon Yellow Graphics V1.1 IPS

See Also:
    Pok?mon Red - Gen. II Graphics Patch
    Pokemon Red Full Color Hack

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    nice
    distinct lack of Yellow hacks around, hopefully someone builds upon this...Yellow++ maybe? :-)

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • FINALLY YOU MADE IT!!! DAAANNNNNYYYY! I have always asked you to do so my dear friend!!!
    Remmember DANNY.jpg <- Clcik and SEE!
    Look It has been 3 years, I am going to play It right away YEAH BRUH! My friends willl be like whaaaaaaatt!! Dude you rock! your patch I will make It famous around my city!

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Haha!! Yes, I know it took me a while! ^__^'

But really, I would greatly appreciate any time you spend spreading this hack around!!

Again, just like with the Red/Blue version of this hack, it was made possible with our (recently finished) Pokémon Yellow disassembly! [click]

The Pokémon Yellow disassembly was mostly completed through the hard work of luckytyphlosion and PikalaxALT, as well as the rest of us original contributors to the Pokémon Red disassembly.

Reactions: Del

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • I already did sent the patched ROMs to my friends they were really surprised and happy especially after showing them the videos you provided!
    My thanks to you Danny and luckytyphlosion, PikalaxALT and all the team who helped in the project of disassembly, I saw the list GitHub and I am really amazed with the collaboration of all contributors! THANK YOU!

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    hi sorry for asking, but it just a request, could you make all the pokemon catchable in this game? if mateo could make a yellow++ with its feature could make this game even better ^^

Reactions: Del

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Sorry, I won't be making this hack in a way that changes gameplay. But I encourage those who want to make a hack out of this to do so!

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2021
    Holy hot damn!
    I was waiting for this for a long time. :)

Finally, Pokemon Yellow with Gen II graphics!
    Thank you so much for your work and for the work of those involved in the disassembly too, some nice stuff will come out of this, I'm sure!

One question, are you planning on also doing a Full Colour Hack for Pokemon Yellow too?
    I would love to have Pokemon Yellow in the same level as the Pokemon Red hacks with Full colour + GFX + Gen II sprites. :)

Thanks for this amazing hack!

Roger Davis

Goofball
    Years
  • One question, are you planning on also doing a Full Colour Hack for Pokemon Yellow too?
    I would love to have Pokemon Yellow in the same level as the Pokemon Red hacks with Full colour + GFX + Gen II sprites. :)

Just to clear up some confusion, he wasn't the one who made the full color hack for Pokemon Red. He has implemented the Battle sprites and bar, as well as the music, but he's not the one who took Pokemon Red and made it a gbc file with tiles from Pokemon gold on the overworld. I don't know the user who did do that, but I believe it was also on Skeetendo and not here. I could be mistaken however.

Hey Danny, I'm just curious, have you ever considered making a version of this patch which does the trainers and backsprites, but the front sprites of the Pokemon are the same as yellow version? Or even the RBG ones. I love the way things are currently, I was just wondering if that had ever occurred to you and if it would be difficult or not to do that. In RBGY the main thing that annoyed me was the back sprites, since they were 2x the size and it just clashed horribly, whereas the majority of Yellow's front sprites are okay, with some people anyhow. I'm really glad you've done this with Yellow too now. I'm kind of wondering what it'd be like if someone took the Gen 3 games and put the Gen 2 UI for bars and such in it instead, since I never really was a fan of Gen 3 battle layout. Anyways, great job and thank you for this!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Will you make a GFX&Music Patch for Pokémon Yellow?
    Thank you for that awesome patch!

I will consider it. I'll probably get around to it eventually, but who knows when.
    And you're welcome!!

Holy hot damn!
    I was waiting for this for a long time. :)

Finally, Pokemon Yellow with Gen II graphics!
    Thank you so much for your work and for the work of those involved in the disassembly too, some nice stuff will come out of this, I'm sure!

One question, are you planning on also doing a Full Colour Hack for Pokemon Yellow too?

This is a little less likely, but it might happen someday too.
    And you're welcome! I'm glad you're excited about it!!

Just to clear up some confusion, he wasn't the one who made the full color hack for Pokemon Red. He has implemented the Battle sprites and bar, as well as the music, but he's not the one who took Pokemon Red and made it a gbc file with tiles from Pokemon gold on the overworld. I don't know the user who did do that, but I believe it was also on Skeetendo and not here. I could be mistaken however.

That's not completely accurate. Here's how it happened. The full color hack for Pokemon Red was started back in 2012 by FroggestSpirit. He finished the over world colorization only, and it was full of bugs too. Then he gave up.

In 2013, Drenn continued where FroggestSpirit left off. Drenn fixed some of the bugs in the over world and colorized more of the game, like the title screen, and the battle screen. Then he took the time to add the features from my Gen II graphics hack, like the gen II sprites and battle hud. Then he gave up.

From 2014 to now, I have been maintaining the hack. I've done even more bug fixing in the over world, in battles, and other places (like trade animations) where Froggest and Drenn left bugs. I've also been continuing to add features like the exp bar and other updates from the Gen II graphics hack.

So while I admit FroggestSpirit and Drenn did the harder parts of the job than me, we are all co-creators of the hack. And there has never been a time where more than one of us was working on the hack at the same time.

(also, to clarify a little more misinformation, the full color hack actually uses all of the original Red music, that has not been modified. The same is true for the over world tilesets. While the tilesets have been colorized similarly to GSC, the actual tile graphics are the original Red tile graphics)

Hey Danny, I'm just curious, have you ever considered making a version of this patch which does the trainers and backsprites, but the front sprites of the Pokemon are the same as yellow version? Or even the RBG ones. I love the way things are currently, I was just wondering if that had ever occurred to you and if it would be difficult or not to do that. In RBGY the main thing that annoyed me was the back sprites, since they were 2x the size and it just clashed horribly, whereas the majority of Yellow's front sprites are okay, with some people anyhow. I'm really glad you've done this with Yellow too now. I'm kind of wondering what it'd be like if someone took the Gen 3 games and put the Gen 2 UI for bars and such in it instead, since I never really was a fan of Gen 3 battle layout. Anyways, great job and thank you for this!

Making all the Pokemon use their original Yellow front sprites would be very easy. The only thing is I would have to make sure the Gen II back sprites look okay with the original Yellow palettes. But this is not really a variation of this hack that I am interested in.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2021
    This is a little less likely, but it might happen someday too.
    And you're welcome! I'm glad you're excited about it!!
    A shame, but hopefully someone jumps on the wagon and tries to do so.
    I'll wait patiently for when that day comes. :P

Another thing I wanted to touch on...
    I was wondering if you could leave the Pikachu sprite that Yellow used, but revamp it with proper colours to that of GSC.

Something like this:
    pikachu_revamp__yellow_by_kawaiiusa_chan.png

For some reason I don't find any of the GSC sprites for Pikachu as appealing as his Yellow sprite.
    You could follow the same kind of revamp for the rest of the sprite sheet used for the Pikachu animations in the game. With the example I posted a few lines back, the colourization for the animations could be rather easy following that one as the base.

I'm talking about these animations:
    pikachu-2.png

Of course, the backsprite for Pikachu should still be the GSC and not the horrible RGBY one. xD

PS: BTW, thanks for the explanation on the brief history of the Red Color hack. :)

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    In case you are not aware, RBY and GSC style sprites both have the same limitation of 4 colors per sprite.

Regarding the idea of a revamped Yellow Pikachu sprite in general, I would definitely consider it. But the sprite you posted is more RSE style.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2021
    Oh I am aware, I know the NES/GBC palettes were limited to 4 colours (including transparency) for their tiles, which basically limits the amount of colours usable to 3 since the fourth one is reserved for transparency/BG.
    I simply threw in what I had at hand to make my point. :P

I did a quick mockup of a fully coloured Pikachu:
    attachment.php

I would only modify the red colour a little bit to tone it down in contrast so that the shading on his ears and chin don't look so prominent. :P

Attachments

• PikaColor.png
      PikaColor.png
      970 bytes · Views: 3,091
    Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I just uploaded version 1.1 which now makes the exp bar blue while playing in GBC mode!

hi3mpPp.png

Note that when playing this in SGB mode, the exp bar will still share the color of your health bar.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2016
    Just patched my yellow i can confirm that update 1.1 has fixed the exp bar as it now displays in blue.
    Tested on My Oldboy!

Awesome work! ✌

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2021
    hi sorry for asking, but it just a request, could you make all the pokemon catchable in this game? if mateo could make a yellow++ with its feature could make this game even better
    20.%20boogie.gif

Sorry, I won't be making this hack in a way that changes gameplay. But I encourage those who want to make a hack out of this to do so!

Just wanted to mention that this hack seems to be compatible with the Thunder Yellow patch which makes all 151 pokemon available. :)
    You should apply Thunder Yellow first and then the Gen 2 patch in order for it to work properly.

I hope someone jumps on the Full Yellow Color wagon to make it possible. :)

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    You'll be happy to know someone is making use of this. -eyebrowwaggle- And some of the Red++ code, making it a bit like a Yellow++, though of course I wouldn't want to steal the name from Mateo. I probably won't port all of it, either; if people want Red++ they can go play that.

Although I'm not nearly as experienced as you guys, obviously. Still messing stuff up frequently. But, I got more than just Pikachu following, and she/he evolves by happiness now. Raichu can follow too. :3 But making the walking sprite change species is kind of a pain; it looks like there are two different methods for pikachu following, one indoors and one outdoors? Do you know anything about that? It's the outdoors one I'm having trouble with.

I did decide to keep a few of Yellow's gen 1 front sprites, namely Pikachu, Eevee, Charmander, and Bulbasaur, because, well, their gen 2 versions look kinda goofball to me, especially Charmander. Although Pikachu's Gen 2 sprite is okay, it's not quite as nostalgic to me.

Back