• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Firered/Leafgreen has killed Red/Blue and Heartgold/Soulsilver killed Gold/Silver

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Pokemon Red and blue are good for nostalgia

I just played it earlier :rambo:

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Yh but its a new experience and the old games have to get iwth the times you know

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Way to be rude. There would be no HGSS if it weren't for the originals. FRLG was an awful rendition of Red and Blue. HGSS is a much, much better remake, but you can never replace your roots, kiddo. Pick up the GBC another round or two before you go spouting off that nostalgia's been murdered. Classics ain't dead.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    I never actuually played the originals after I got FR . They were fairly good and I don't think that FRLG are awful . They are good-average remakes , they get rid of glitches at least ...

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    I'm sorry, but I'm a sucker for graphics. The originals have their place, and they will always be great, but I can never go back to them.

Makes me kind of sad, actually.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
    Mate, Red & Blue will never die. Sure Fire Red & Leaf Green were utter crap (In MY opinion fokes) but I think it was just to introduce Kanto to the new generation of Pokemon fans, I mean if you were young and just getting into Pokemon around 2004-2005 and you wanted to play one of the games, it would make sense to go for the one with the better graphics rather than the ones that were out almost a decade earlier. (It's like becoming a tennis fan, wanting a tennis game, then buying Pong instead of the higher quality games we have now lol) Sure Red & Blue were fun for us older gamers because we didn't have the technology we have today to produce brilliant graphics but now kids expect the best graphics for their games. But hopefully when they're older they'll go back and play Red & Blue just to see what we considered a brilliant game back then and see where the franchise started. :]

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Mate, Red & Blue will never die. Sure Fire Red & Leaf Green were utter crap (In MY opinion fokes) but I think it was just to introduce Kanto to the new generation of Pokemon fans, I mean if you were young and just getting into Pokemon around 2004-2005 and you wanted to play one of the games, it would make sense to go for the one with the better graphics rather than the ones that were out almost a decade earlier. (It's like becoming a tennis fan, wanting a tennis game, then buying Pong instead of the higher quality games we have now lol) Sure Red & Blue were fun for us older gamers because we didn't have the technology we have today to produce brilliant graphics but now kids expect the best graphics for their games. But hopefully when they're older they'll go back and play Red & Blue just to see what we considered a brilliant game back then and see where the franchise started. :]

Thank you. Saying they were killed is just too harsh for my tastes. This section isn't for hatin' on the old games. They're the roots of HGSS and FRLG. They're great games, but you can't really compare them to the old ones in every aspect. Back then, those graphics were mind blowing. Except for Golbat's sprite.

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
    They are just remakes, a few upgrades and updated graphics. Thats cool and that but nothing beats the originals, especially when they were a big part of your childhood.

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
    I really could care less for graphics, R/B has better music for sure (Was so excited to battle champion rival in leafgreen only to find out they butchered his song :'() and I really guess it depends on what you grew up with. If you started out on R/B/Y that sense of nostalgia will be hard to replace while if you entered the franchise at FR/LG it will be an akward transition backwards.

(BTW Silver version was the best game imo)

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    Firered and Leafgreen were crap, but it made me remember R/B again. :)
    Same with HG/SS. >.<

I think they shouldve done a Yellow remake. That would be just awesome!

Blue Trainer

Do iT FuR TeH LulZ
    Years
    Ok looking back and in comparison to modern times - the graphics are terrible...but back then - I loved Red & Blue...I still remember opening them up on christmas day and being delighted!! My first Pokémon I ever got was a Charmander - called it Candle....(come on I was like 9!) and I trained it right up to level 100 charizard - I was chuffed!! And I played the hell outa that game...

But the new ones, 11 years later I'm still playing - and only because of those awesome moments as kids - that we still all love the game ^^

EPIC!!

Blue

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Thank you. Saying they were killed is just too harsh for my tastes. This section isn't for hatin' on the old games. They're the roots of HGSS and FRLG. They're great games, but you can't really compare them to the old ones in every aspect. Back then, those graphics were mind blowing. Except for Golbat's sprite.

Not really. Their bad graphics were put down then too. People just liked them in spite of that.

It's not just the graphics either though. The old games had some arkwardness in gameplay. Tiny bag, no pockets, no select button to get on bike, no easy experience to next level checking, no quick HM using, no move descriptions when they're being taught, etc.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Not really. Their bad graphics were put down then too. People just liked them in spite of that.

It's not just the graphics either though. The old games had some awkwardness in gameplay. Tiny bag, no pockets, no select button to get on bike, no easy experience to next level checking, no quick HM using, no move descriptions when they're being taught, etc.

I dont really feel to see the need to suffer the awfulness of a tiny bag and no use of the select button. Didn't notice a problem back then though :)

Nightrider434343

Intermediate Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2010
    I didn't think FRLG were that terrible, I mean the only reason I pick up the originals now is to mess with glitches. Yeah, the original silver and gold were my all-time favorite games, but the graphics just weren't that good.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I dont really feel to see the need to suffer the awfulness of a tiny bag and no use of the select button. Didn't notice a problem back then though :)

Seriously? Walking through those buildings between routes was really annoying with the need to go through the bag every time.

And never being able to store TMs in your bag. Never being able to pick up a loose item on the ground. All you could store was:

Poke Balls
    Great Balls
    Ultra Balls
    Potions
    Super Potions
    Hyper Potions
    Full Restores
    Repels
    Super Repels
    Escape Ropes
    Revives
    Ethers
    Bike
    Old Rod
    Good Rod
    Super Rod
    Item Finder
    Town Map

And then only two more spaces for Master Balls, Rare Candies, TMs, vitamins, stones, story items, random items on the ground, etc.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Huh, funny.

I've barely even played Gold or Silver, but the moment I started playing through HeartGold, I suddenly wanted to. To go back to "the good old days" of Pokemon and play "the best generation ever".

It invoked nostalgia that I didn't even know I had.

Seriously, the Goldenrod and Azalea themes hit me with nostalgia even though that was the first time I've heard them properly.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
    Oh wow, updated graphics and a pedometer! This is a totally good way to murder an established generation that millions of people are playing! Wrong.

In general remakes are just a way for Nintendo to pull in the generation who missed G/S/C. If you want it to transfer stuff to D/P/Pt, that's cool, but I'm going to stick to the games with bad graphics, poor music, and sprites that made us go "Holy s**t, that Zubat's blue and purple! And black!"

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    i never really understood why people take graphics in games so seriously. I guess im kind of the person that can go back and play ANY single game and not say *wow these graphics are horrible* because in all honesty it is what is...

anyway, red and blue are deffinately not dead, and neither are gold and silver. I mean they couldve done a better job with frlg and i agree with that, but without the originals they would've never been remade. But yea like someone said above^ dont mess with HGSS lol, the game is amazing to both old and new fans.

But i dont understand,the reasoning behind most people who back the old ones are the ones who like the glitching. I, however, liked the old ones for what they did, aka bring about pokemon, choose which type you want to start with, a rival, alot of *firsts* that bring about MY nostalgia...i sometimes feel like im the only one that feels this way =/ lol

Back