• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Firered/Leafgreen has killed Red/Blue and Heartgold/Soulsilver killed Gold/Silver

Zakki-C-Mo

strategic trainer
    Years
    I agree that the new games did fix things, but gold ad silver (the originals) were in my opinion the best gen, i mean, they made moves the types they should have been, they had puzzles that made you think, but were still pretty simple, and the in battle graphics were still pretty good, and if you played type advantage, and attack boosting items (nevermeltice, charcoal, etc.) the gym leaders and even the elite 4 are quite simple to beat. (my 1st time beating the elite 4 i had a lv. 43 Raikou (i used my masterball to cap it), lv.40 Kadabra, lv. 38 Typhlosion, lv.39 lapras, lv. 40 suicune, and lv. 38 pidgeot) well i was playing crystal tho, lol

Ryuusei Red

"King of Games"
    Years
    Pokemon Red will always remain my favorite Pokemon game. I was a little disappointed to find out just how different Pokemon FireRed was from Pokemon Red... -sighs- I guess the added islands messed up the game for me, and the remastered music... I miss the 8-bit tracks from Pokemon Red....such nostalgia, but lucky for me, I can play the original anytime. Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver are ok remakes, but for some reason....they just will not beat the original G&S series, and I believe that alot of people will agree with me. The old school trainers that is.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
    G/S/C will never properly die IMO :3
    Even if HGSS was terrible G/S/C would still live on as I know a big group of people who would continue playing the games because the originals kick ass.
    And same goes for R/B/Y...

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    I guess the added islands messed up the game for me, and the remastered music... I miss the 8-bit tracks from Pokemon Red....such nostalgia, but lucky for me, I can play the original anytime.
    the music from the originals games were amazing like symphonies they were. i never realized it as a kid but playing it through now i love it

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Killed them, I wouldn't go so far as to say that... but I think the remakes were for the best.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    I would of liked FR/LG a lot more if they would have stick to the original 150+1 pokemon :(

Years
    I couldn't play HG for more than 30 minutes straight, and then a friend of mine redirected me to a 17-in-1 Pokemon emulator including all the games before Platinum. I immediately spent the rest of the day playing Crystal and Blue :S

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    My first Pokemon game was Sapphire, so when I got LeafGreen, I didn't have any nostalgia for R/B/Y to compare it to. I eventually did play Blue later, and I lost interest pretty quickly... It just wasn't the same for me. I missed the full color graphics and the music of LeafGreen.

In addition, I did play G/S/C (all three of 'em) due to lack of a Johto remake. I had always wished that they would remake Johto, because I wasn't fond of the old graphics. Needless to say, I was VERY happy when I found out about HG/SS, and I prefer it over G/S/C.

I honestly don't think the remakes are intended to replace the originals -- rather, they're intended to introduce the younger generations to the classics with something they won't discard as "too old". It may be a "remake", but I see them as completely different games -- a new experience for new fans. They don't kill anything.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    The classics aren't dead! Dammit, I've got Pokemon Yellow, FireRed, LeafGreen, Gold, SoulSilver, and Crystal so don't you go spoutin off that they're dead!

Seriously though, you can't replace the originals, only remake and update for next generation systems and gamers. I haven't played RBY in AGES so I can't honestly compare them to the remakes but I just beat Crystal(for the 35th time)and I can tell you that HGSS took what made the original GSC awesome and multiplied it several times over. But I still play my good old Gold and Crystal, because they're still good, still working(thank God), and still alive.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    I'm sorry, but I'm a sucker for graphics. The originals have their place, and they will always be great, but I can never go back to them.

Makes me kind of sad, actually.

They were an upgrade in graphics, though the originals are awesome. Another thing is that now you can also be a girl, in the originals, you couldn't.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. I have great memories playing my Red version to death when it first came out, but looking back on it, I dunno how I was able to stand the gameplay. Also, how the original Gameboy's screen blurred when you walked around. The originals will always have a place in my childhood memories, but the new gameplay and graphics are what I'm all about now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2015
    Agreed. FRLG sucked, I hated it. I wanted a gold/silver remake for YEARS, and FINALLY its out

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    I've never got why people hated on FR/LG. I'm doing a monotype challenge right now and I'm on blue. And I keep thinking, "my god, I wish I'd done this on the remakes instead".

I had blue when I was young, so it's not like I don't have nostalgia...but FR/LG is just R/B with better graphics and a few extra, completely optional bits.

And the music? R/B music was tinny and annoying, just like most game music for the Gameboy. At least the FR/LG music doesn't make your ears bleed.

Somber

Dark Trainer..
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2010
    The Remakes, though are technically much better, will never replace the original red/blue/silver/gold in my heart

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I never thought that they killed them, with Fr/Lg being so bad(IMO) I wanted to play R/B again even more.

Seriously? Walking through those buildings between routes was really annoying with the need to go through the bag every time.

And never being able to store TMs in your bag. Never being able to pick up a loose item on the ground. All you could store was:

Poke Balls
    Great Balls
    Ultra Balls
    Potions
    Super Potions
    Hyper Potions
    Full Restores
    Repels
    Super Repels
    Escape Ropes
    Revives
    Ethers
    Bike
    Old Rod
    Good Rod
    Super Rod
    Item Finder
    Town Map

And then only two more spaces for Master Balls, Rare Candies, TMs, vitamins, stones, story items, random items on the ground, etc.

The sad part was I put everything I wanted in the PC and that filled up is well.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2014
    What's with all the FireRed/LeafGreen hate? I thought they took what was wrong with Red and Blue and fixed it. Then again, Gold was the first one I had, which looked WAY better than Red/Blue. I like Red/Blue, but I think that the graphics REALLY could have been better. Come on, the gameboy should have been at least able to support non-pixellated back sprites! And this is coming from someone who really doesn't care that much about graphics...

I generally treat the remakes as different games, although I do compare them to their corresponding originals. After all, there are enough modifications to be considered different.

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
    I, personally, didn't enjoy Fire-Red, or Leaf-Green. Not because they weren't good additions to the Pokemon franchise, which they were, but because I felt I kept getting a feeling of nostalgia, and not the good kind either. More of the 'I've been here, I already know what I have to do, can we just get this over with already?' kind of nostalgia. Fire-Red and Leaf-Green both had their good points, but, to me, I felt that they were the worst versions in the series. I just didn't feel the spark that I did when I first picked up Pokemon Red and plugged it into my Gameboy Pocket. The rush was just... gone.

HeartGold and SoulSilver however, is a different story entirely. I didn't really appreciate the female lead changing, since I felt that that changing it was taking away from the memories and idealistic fantasies I had about the Gold and Silver remakes. I always imagined Gold, Kris, and Silver in 3D, running around Johto and Kanto. Instead, I got Gold (or Jimmy, depending on who you ask), Lyra (or Kotone, once again, depending on who you ask), and Silver (who's history was actually explained this time). The nostalgia was there in HeartGold and SoulSilver, but there were enough changes to make the experience fresh. From having a Pokemon follow behind you (a throwback to Pokemon Yellow), to chasing down the Legendary Dogs, to battling Red atop Mt. Silver. Every memory from my childhood was brought to life in HeartGold and SoulSilver, and they brought friends.

I think HeartGold and SoulSilver were the best games of the 4th generation, just because I didn't feel like Diamond/Platinum/Pearl were really adding anything to the series as a whole. Yes, some new Pokemon, along with new abilities, were added, and (obviously) everything was in 3D, which I felt was a big step in the right direction with Pokemon. But, in the end, to me, it just felt lacking of something. Platinum didn't change much from Diamond/Pearl, besides the Competitive Meta-Game, move accuracy changes, 'formes', and the Lost Dimension (which I nicknamed the Negative Dimension).

So, in my opinion, this is the list of how the Pokemon...

1.) Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow
    2.) Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
    3.) Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
    4.) Pokemon Diamond/Platinum/Pearl
    5.) Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    6.) Pokemon Fire-Red/Leaf-Green

UmbreonUniverse

ブラッキー
    Years
    I am playing pokemon heart gold and sometimes pokemon red but I hate it when people say the re-makes are more better then the original with some things thay are but COME ON!!! its the original you can get more nastalgic then that!

Back