• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Firered/Leafgreen has killed Red/Blue and Heartgold/Soulsilver killed Gold/Silver

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    Seriously? Walking through those buildings between routes was really annoying with the need to go through the bag every time.

And never being able to store TMs in your bag. Never being able to pick up a loose item on the ground. All you could store was:

Poke Balls
    Great Balls
    Ultra Balls
    Potions
    Super Potions
    Hyper Potions
    Full Restores
    Repels
    Super Repels
    Escape Ropes
    Revives
    Ethers
    Bike
    Old Rod
    Good Rod
    Super Rod
    Item Finder
    Town Map

And then only two more spaces for Master Balls, Rare Candies, TMs, vitamins, stones, story items, random items on the ground, etc.

Makes the game seem more challenging then the other pokemon games. Guess they wanted to make everything alot easier in Gold/Silver. I feel that Pokemon Red/Blue was rushed out which is the reason why missingno wasn't removed from Cinnabar Island. Mind you the small Kanto in Gold/Silver was a any excuse not to do alot of work ;)

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    Makes the game seem more challenging then the other pokemon games. Guess they wanted to make everything alot easier in Gold/Silver. I feel that Pokemon Red/Blue was rushed out which is the reason why missingno wasn't removed from Cinnabar Island. Mind you the small Kanto in Gold/Silver was a any excuse not to do alot of work ;)

It actually IS more challenging, but I think it'd quite annoying when you have to go through a cave, pick up an item and find out that you don't have any more space left!^^ (Groundless Item Bag FTW!)

Fr/Lg are killing R/B/Y (same sentence with G/S/C and HG/SS. ) ? Never!^^ FR/LG were epic but they will never be as good as the originals (if you can see above lots of glitches, of course...^^) ! Because I know they're trying hard to make them equal but it's impossible cuz they have a special feeling you only experience when you play the original!^^

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    It actually IS more challenging, but I think it'd quite annoying when you have to go through a cave, pick up an item and find out that you don't have any more space left!^^ (Groundless Item Bag FTW!)

Fr/Lg are killing R/B/Y (same sentence with G/S/C and HG/SS. ) ? Never!^^ FR/LG were epic but they will never be as good as the originals (if you can see above lots of glitches, of course...^^) ! Because I know they're trying hard to make them equal but it's impossible cuz they have a special feeling you only experience when you play the original!^^

As far as the items go, I didn't find it more challenging: I simply found it annoying. I never used in-battle items to be sure, but sometimes not being able to pick up my Moonstones because of worthless Potions was frustrating.

Sadly, I don't think the youngsters or newcomers to Pokemon will find much room for 1st/2nd Generations. I still play them on occasion, but honestly the only thing the earlier games have over the remakes are being first, numerous glitches, lack of future Pokemon and many minor features. Sure, FR/LG will never replace R/B/Y for us, but I just don't see too many people going back if they entered in the 3rd/4th Generations.

So, it's up to us to keep them alive! But I'm doing a horrible job...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Not really. Their bad graphics were put down then too. People just liked them in spite of that.

What the heck? Maybe we're just simple minded here, but we thought they were the greatest things ever. Who honestly cared about graphics on the GameBoy back then? I know we would have cared for the major consoles because of the console wars, but for a portable, I don't think it was regarded in the same way.

It's not just the graphics either though. The old games had some arkwardness in gameplay. Tiny bag, no pockets, no select button to get on bike, no easy experience to next level checking, no quick HM using, no move descriptions when they're being taught, etc.

That's what we call roughin' it. You honestly think a bag in real life could hold infinite amounts of items? I think it's ridiculous that the DPPHGSS bags can do that. I'll admit, it is nice, but it's not that hard to go to the PC and deposit any items you don't think you'll need. Make room.

Makes the game seem more challenging then the other pokemon games. Guess they wanted to make everything alot easier in Gold/Silver. I feel that Pokemon Red/Blue was rushed out which is the reason why missingno wasn't removed from Cinnabar Island. Mind you the small Kanto in Gold/Silver was a any excuse not to do alot of work

You said in your first post that you only play RBY for the glitches, which implies that you like them. The missingno. glitch is something that most people seem to enjoy. Even new games have glitches, however minor and unmemorable they may be.

i never really understood why people take graphics in games so seriously. I guess im kind of the person that can go back and play ANY single game and not say *wow these graphics are horrible* because in all honesty it is what is...

anyway, red and blue are deffinately not dead, and neither are gold and silver. I mean they couldve done a better job with frlg and i agree with that, but without the originals they would've never been remade. But yea like someone said above^ dont mess with HGSS lol, the game is amazing to both old and new fans.

But i dont understand,the reasoning behind most people who back the old ones are the ones who like the glitching. I, however, liked the old ones for what they did, aka bring about pokemon, choose which type you want to start with, a rival, alot of *firsts* that bring about MY nostalgia...i sometimes feel like im the only one that feels this way =/ lol

Oh wow, updated graphics and a pedometer! This is a totally good way to murder an established generation that millions of people are playing! Wrong.

In general remakes are just a way for Nintendo to pull in the generation who missed G/S/C. If you want it to transfer stuff to D/P/Pt, that's cool, but I'm going to stick to the games with bad graphics, poor music, and sprites that made us go "Holy s**t, that Zubat's blue and purple! And black!"

I like y'all.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    What the heck? Maybe we're just simple minded here, but we thought they were the greatest things ever. Who honestly cared about graphics on the GameBoy back then? I know we would have cared for the major consoles because of the console wars, but for a portable, I don't think it was regarded in the same way.

The graphics is one of the bigger things Pokemon got mocked for by haters. And there's nothing worse than a back sprite to kill an otherwise good looking Charizard. Compared to other Game Boy games of its time, it was under par. You can't really blame it for that, but it's true.

And by how good the GBC and GBA were, I'd say people do care about graphics on their Game Boy.

That's what we call roughin' it. You honestly think a bag in real life could hold infinite amounts of items? I think it's ridiculous that the DPPHGSS bags can do that. I'll admit, it is nice, but it's not that hard to go to the PC and deposit any items you don't think you'll need. Make room.

It doesn't have to be infinite. GSC did well on fixing all those little problems. But pre to that, those little quirks were quite annoying.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    Nothing beats the originals. I will still play the originals, even though I own both HeartGold and SoulSilver. Gold, Silver, and Crystal will never die... At least in my eyes. They were a big, actually, rather huge part of my life as a child. I was never caught anywhere without my Gameboy with G/S or C. I wouldn't be caught dead without it.

The new versions are really cool, but there are a lot of things about the originals that I love over the updated. But I do love the updated. They just aren't really as close to my heart.

The Red Chain

You know, I really like the crappy graphics of old school Pokemon for one reason :
    It made us use our imagination. Something that seems long ignored now.
    The graphics these days paint the picture for you.. so it leaves no room for wild imagination like the old days.
    Back then you could go as far as imagining Pokemon in rainbow colors on the old black and white GB.

Or something else silly and obnoxious like that.
    But man was that fun. XD

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
    Remakes kills Originals??? Not in my dictionary...lol
    I've been a pokemon fan for a decade now.And what I've noticed is that the originals will always be originals.They are simply fun to play.Simple.
    But nowadays it's not simply fun to play with the new gens,I just get fed up with them right away,I just don't know why(it's just my opinion)...oh well.. :)
    It's true that the updated graphics and new add-ons are great,especially in HG/SS...(I don't really like the remakes FR and LF)
    but just think of it,why did Nintendo make or have to make the remakes(FR/LG/HG/SS or possibly the remakes of R/S in the future if they will release a new story/version)?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I've been a Pokemon fan since the release of Pokemon Red wayyy back lol and nothing killed it; I really enjoyed FRLG and I'm going to enjoy HGSS even more, since S/G/C were the best of the series (got crappy after that, storyline-wise - the addition of new Pokemon does NOT make the game better lol!).

I don't believe that these remakes "killed" anything; Since 2005, I couldn't even touch S/G/C anymore. The graphics were just too outdated, it made me want to regurgitate. The DS really highlights the Johto part of the game series and in my opinion, it's better. It can't take the place of the original, but in present day, it's better than the originals. Graphics are very, very important in any game for 99% of gamers. Music, too, is another major factor. HGSS pulls off both perfectly.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    The battle system even in the advance generation sucked, let a lone r/b/s/g/s/c, I wouldn't play any of them again anyway, unless it was for a trip down memory lane.

I mean come on, physical attack and special attack were only separated from move types in D/P/P, and that right there seems pretty essential to a balanced system.

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
    The DS really highlights the Johto part of the game series and in my opinion, it's better. It can't take the place of the original, but in present day, it's better than the originals.

Well,what's the purpose of remakes? Is it not to make it better from the originals and to update so that the game itself won't wither away and make it better?

Graphics are very, very important in any game for 99% of gamers. Music, too, is another major factor. HGSS pulls off both perfectly.

I agree with that...

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Remakes are to update and to allow the newer generation to experience an older generation in better graphics.

So, as said, it's better than the originals, because it improves on the graphics and the music to modern standards. It can't take its place though; the game will always feel nostalgic towards the older versions for those who played the original Gold/Silver/Crystal (like myself).

Since I'm a huge Graphics/Music adorer, I prefer HGSS. Naturally. But G/S/C has its special spot.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    And by how good the GBC and GBA were, I'd say people do care about graphics on their Game Boy.

GBC and GBA? I meant the original Game Boy. Not Color nor Advanced. Obviously those are going to have an enhancement. Look at any other game on the GB. Not exactly the prettiest.

It doesn't have to be infinite. GSC did well on fixing all those little problems. But pre to that, those little quirks were quite annoying.

To reiterate, it's not that hard to dump stuff you won't need til later into your PC. Heck, sell stuff you know you won't use. Even RSE had the "Too bad! Your bag is full!" problem.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    The fun part of a videogame is the gameplay, not the graphics. Super Mario Bros had 8 bit graphics but it's regarded as one of the best games ever. Ocarina of Time is outdated and most people consider it the greatest masterpiece of Nintendo even today.

Back in the old times, we only had 20 empty spots in the bag, because there were some technical limitations. And we lived with them. In fact, it only made the games harder and trickier.

The originals are good, in their own ways. HGSS have improved them by far, but they'll never have the special magic the originals had.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    I'm playing my friends' LeafGreen at the minute and I actually like it. True they'll never replace the originals but I'm another sucker for good graphics. It was interesting to see the remakes of certan features like the zoo in front of the Safari Zone and the Dojo Gym in Saffron. It made me go "OMG!" today when I was playing it :P

Not saying that just cause there's a remake I shun the old games, the old graphics were actually brilliant for their time :P

Fli

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    My first pokemon game was FireRed (I was a deprived child and not allowed to play video games until around 2005- leave me alone) and I happened to really love the game. Did it kill the originals? No, I don't think so (yes I have played r/b/y- gotta love ebay). Besides kill is like hate. It is such a strong word that should be used rarely. And unfortunately for me, I don't have Hg/Ss yet (I don't have enough money) to answer that part of the topic (of course I haven't played G/S/C so I really couldn't answer it anyway).

Summary of my rambling: The originals had a certain charm (glitches being only one of the factors), but the remake (Fr) will always be special to me. Neither "died" imo. :D

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Dude, put "I think ..." before because that is not true.
    It's your opinion.

I mean, it's crazy the way that people think of Gen 1/2 these days. Sure, better graphics. But Gen 1/2 are the originals. Like Sydian said, there would be no FireRed/LeafGreen or HeartGold/SoulSilver without Red/Blue or Gold/Silver.

Stop making assumptions, n00b.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    No they did not kill them off.

IMO the 8-bit style music is better than the failed remixes of the remakes, just try to compare The Champion theme from RBY to FRLG. The FRLG one sounds so bad, also the dark cave remix sounds horrible. The GSC one sounds dark, eerie, and bass heavy; that made me think I was actually exploring the cave with the player. While the HGSS one sounds optimistic and light hearted

Back