• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you lie you will steal, if you steal you'll kill

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Eh. I don't agree with that proverb to the letter, but I do agree with the spirit of the phrase.

You won't kill someone just because you lie to someone, but smaller habits like that can certainly lead to larger problems in one's life.

Bologna

One might call me "hip"
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2014
    I would agree with the phrase to an extent, because it says that if there's something out there that would cause you to lie, then there's probably going to be something out there that could get you to steal, and then maybe even to kill. It's not necessarily saying that liars turn into thieves and then killers, but that if there's something out there that can tempt you to lie, maybe something else could tempt you to steal or kill.

And really.... wouldn't you think that that's true? Isn't there always something that could possess you to do that? I mean, I wouldn't like to think that I would ever steal or kill. But what if I was put in a hard situation? What if a family member's life was on the line? I'm just not sure how far anyone could be pushed if the stakes were that high.

And I think that all goes along with the message of this message:
    If you'd be willing to lie for something, you'd be willing to steal for something. And if you'd be willing to steal for something, you'd be willing to kill for something.

That's just how I read it.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    It depends on the situation, really. If you lied that you didn't stole the lollipop that your brother was eating even though you did, then that would be lying and stealing. But that wouldn't kill right? @_@

Exothermic

Keeper of the Hammer
    Years
    I don't agree with that saying.

Just because I have lied, doesn't necessarily mean I'll steal; just because I have stolen, doesn't always mean I'll kill. And vice versa. xD

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Where'd you hear that saying?

Naaah. A person has lied at least once in his life. Either consciously or unconsciously. But I do not believe that a lie will lead to theft, and theft to murder.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    There is really very little in common between lying, thievery and murder. The proverb merely groups them together on the basis that they are 'bad' things. The first is usually to avoid trouble, the second to make worldly gain, the third comes oft from hatred.

I suspect the real point of the proverb is simply to say that, in life, one thing leads to another, to another, et alii. Its example is preposterous but the general point it makes is valid enough; but it's the natural progression of our individual lives, shouldn't we not need words like these to inform us of our current reality?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I really don't agree , though I know the intent of the saying and it is true to an extent. Almost everybody has lied, a large number of people have stolen something (however minor) but relatively few have committed murder. There's a pretty big jump between stealing candy and putting a bullet in a person's head, and thankfully most people never make that jump.

Years
    Lie...? Truth...? Oh yeah... That ones... In my environment, truth and lie are relative concepts. I lie, when I must. I tell the truth, when I must. I do not have to explain about my lies to anyone. As I make my bed so I must lie on it.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I don't believe it. Lying doesn't always lead to stealing or killing. I lie most of the time, never stole, and I certainly will never kill, as I am against it.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    My mom has told me this when I was young

I also believe it depends on the person. I admit I have lied and have stole things before but I'm not going to upright go and kill someone without a valid reason :3.

Years
    I think it depends on the person, like others have said. If I lie, it doesn't necessarily mean I will steal, and later on kill.

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
    I don't think it means you have to take it literally from the point of view that you are the one doing the lying... Let's assume others have never done any bad deeds; then to everyone else, if you do one bad deed, it could very well mean you are more likely than the others to do a worse deed. It's a bit misleading...

If someone says to you: "if you lie you will steal" and you immediately think "no I won't!" or "that doesn't neccessarily mean I'll steal!" that may or may not be true to you but it doesn't stop anyone else from suspecting you of that second deed, based purely on the knowledge of the first deed. Let's face it, if you're thinking about your own deeds it's different to how you think of others'.

That's just how I see it anyway, sorry if I'm wrong.

Back