• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Basing 'Unova' on New York [ #6 ]

Was it a good idea?

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    B/W Weekly Poll #6
    Isshu = New York
    (And yes, it has been confirmed).

As you may be aware, the Isshu region is based on New York, rather than somewhere in Japan, which was the trend of the older games. This was done to show that Isshu is far away from every other region.

★ Do you think basing it on New York was a good idea?
    ★ If not, what would have you preferred instead?
    ★ Do you think future games will follow this trend of basing the region off other influential locations?

If you have any poll ideas, feel free to PM Kaori or myself with them. We may not use them the following week after you have suggested them, but we're likely to consider them in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • Oh god, now a whole bunch of people are going to be posting "LOL ISSHU ISN'T BASED ON NY" when it's been confirmed. :|

Anyways, I think it matches the theme of the game (the theme of a new beginning) so yes, I think it was a good idea.

Years
  • Heeell yes!!
    Well, I probably only think so because I was born in New York n' stuff, but I'm glad that there's finally a Pokemon game that's NOT based off of a location in Japan. I don't know, I just think it makes me feel at home... x3 It's also pretty neat that you get to battle some football players, tennis players, basketball players, and even soccer players. :3

But at the same time... I feel kinda conceited that I'm all excited for an American based Pokemon game when I just so happen to be an American. >.> I'm sure most Americans are happy about Isshu being based off of New York, too. But the funny thing is, is that Japan is getting an American based Pokemon game before the Americans themselves. XD

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • I like the idea. Basing them on famous places will be cool. And I really like New York too, so it's a good place to start. I doubt they'll be going back to Japan any time soon. So I think we can look forward to other famous places.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was actually happy when I found out Isshu was based on New York. The Liberty Tower was what made me think that Isshu was based on NY back then.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I don't really care :\ It's still Pokemon, though it's good that they branched out of Japan. Some elements that I didn't want them to keep are still there so that's why I chose "Don't really care".

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • It's just okay for me. Since Isshu had Route 1 again instead of continuing what was left on DPPt, which makes Isshu really a far new place with new discoveries.

Years
  • I like the idea of Isshu based on a region outside of Japan. In my opinion it symbolises a new beginning like Amai wrote earlier and I guess we can hope for a region based on Britain or other countries outside of Japan.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I like the new prefix thing, haha. Hm... I don't really care much. I didn't pay attention to the facts the other Pokemon games were based on Japan. It's just a game, new stuff in it. xD Though I've been to New York, and it was AWESOME. So if choosing a region outside of Japan, then New York would be my choice also. (=

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    It doesn't really matter to me whether Isshu is based on New York or New Guinea or whatever. XD;
    It is just the quality of the game that matters to me.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Needs more Florida

I honestly do not care as long as I can explore a new world with new Pokemon... I also did not pay attention to the facts the other Pokemon games were based on Japan. :C

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Mostly a good thing, though I can think of a handful aspects that I'm not so keen about and would have rather done without... and said aspects would not have been present if it wasn't for the fact that Isshu was based on NYC. Regardless, it's only a couple minor things, so I'm not even going to mention what bugged me a bit, lol. :3

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I think it was a great idea. Very original. New York is a diverse city, and America is a diverse country. America's freedom of the thought plays a major role in the game. We have a diversity of characters, thoughts, etc. We have the player who sees the grey areas of the world and believes Pokemon and humans can coexist and be friends, and we have N and Team Plasma who see the world in black and white and believe that Pokemon and humans should be separated. While everyone has differences in beliefs, everyone must respect each other, agree to disagree, to coexist with one another.

If B/W had been based on Japan, it would've been just another add on game,like Gen II, III,IV, all of which are great, but it wouldn't have been a rebirth of Pokemon.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • Well,i would prefer it to stay in "Japan",or a land which doesn't exist at all. A custom one. Why? The regions had many aspects based on the islands but they're almost whole new world, the only REALLY Japanese things i remembered were Kimono girls. It was all mixed up,like a custom land.
    I feel Isshu is based on NY a bit parodially. Soccer players were awkward,like all those businessmen etc. I think they really want us to believe we're in a bit parodied US. No idea why,but i don't think that's right...

Last edited:

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • I'm a little 'iffy about whether I like the idea or not. But I guess I like the change-up in the games. I like that it's based on a really cool place like New York, which is home to many cool events and buildings, but I also dislike that they pulled away from the trend of the Pokemon games.

I like when It's in Japan because it gives that Pokemon vibe. Now, personally, it doesn't feel as 'Pokemon-like' anymore.

xMiZx

Lazy Battler
    Years
  • Being a new game, I don't mind it based off of NY. Actually, it's rather interesting. It sounds as if they're going to build up and expand out as they did in the previous generations with Kanto, Johto, the Orange Islands, Hoenn and Shinnoh close together

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
    Years
  • I would normally say that I don't really care, but I think it's neat, mainly for one reason.

A few weeks ago, I went to Brooklyn for my aunt's wedding, and the view outside the building where it was held, reminded me so much of this.

lookout.png

I kid you not, it was almost exactly like that.

Years
  • I don't mind, really. It's nice for it to be a place close to home, but All that I care about is catching the Pokemon and playing the game. I wouldn't care if Isshu was based on Mars.

Back