• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if: The world went vegetarian

KieronGames

May be more active
Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2012
    This is for opinions on what people think. Would we be healthier? Would be over populated? Would we die? Or something else?

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    We're already pretty overpopulated, so that point is sort of answered. I think the world would be a lot better place if we were all vegetarian, as it means food would be more plentiful, water more accessible, and a better quality of life for most if not all. It takes a lot more work and water to produce meat than vegetables, and much of the crops we feed to the farm animals could be used to feed the hungry in poorer nations.
    In addition, cow farming produces a significant amount of methane, and vegetarianism on a global scale would offset a decent part of our current gas-in this case methane-emissions.
    There is no real downside to the world becoming vegetarian.

Years
  • I welcome the rest of the world to their new-found dietary horizons.

Since vegetarians are usually more concerned with nutrition and having balanced diets I imagine society as a whole would turn out more health-conscious. There might be some trouble adjusting initially (what are we gonna do with all those cows?), but in the end nothing bad will happen and I'll be able to go into any restaurant or grocery store and not have to worry about finding something good to eat.

And yeah, all that environmental stuff too is a plus.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I'D DIE CAUSE I LOVE MEAT AND CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT Truthfully I'd probably suffer at first because I eat a lot of meat. Hopefully I'd probably survive it in the end and get used to it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As zappyspiker said, I'd suffer first, then become used to the new lifestyle, since I mostly eat meat. Also, the world would be overpopulated by cows and chickens.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Animals will be overpopulated for not being eaten, humans will also be overpopulated for being healthier and some people will lose their jobs. Aaand, unlike Zappyspiker and PlatinumDude, I am a vegetarian so I wouldn't suffer. :D

OriginGiratina

Dragon-type Trainer
    Years
  • We would be weaker and sometimes sick because vegetables have nutrients that meat hasn't and the reverse. We need both things to survive.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'd personally commit suicide. And the population would be left without a good source of protein, farmers who deal mostly in meat would lose their jobs, and many restaurants and companies like meat-packers would go out of business. Basically it would result in nothing but ruin and chaos.

Such a world terrifies me.

Zet

Years
  • We're already pretty overpopulated, so that point is sort of answered. I think the world would be a lot better place if we were all vegetarian, as it means food would be more plentiful, water more accessible, and a better quality of life for most if not all. It takes a lot more work and water to produce meat than vegetables, and much of the crops we feed to the farm animals could be used to feed the hungry in poorer nations.
    In addition, cow farming produces a significant amount of methane, and vegetarianism on a global scale would offset a decent part of our current gas-in this case methane-emissions.
    There is no real downside to the world becoming vegetarian.
    We're not overpopulated.... just yet, with another 4 billion or so people we will actually be facing an overpopulation risk.

Food wouldn't be more plentiful because vegetarians require more fruit and veggies to meet the required health daily intake of a human being. So! ....A vegetarian world means an mass production of fruit and veggies without ever running out of supply and demand(we would need instant growth to replace what is being eaten). And water consumption would most likely triple just to keep the fruits and veggies nice and fresh.

Oh and smart idea mass killing animals by giving their food to poor nations just to end world hunger. The only upside to that genius idea is lower methane-emissions from cows but human emissions will still be high(yes everyone farts, you can't deny this fact).

I'm not trying to be a douche or attacking the ideals of vegetarians(I respect the choices they make in pursuit of a better healthier lifestyle) nor am I saying eating veggies/fruits is wrong but saying the world will better a place is currently an impossible goal.

As for me... it would take time adjusting to a new lifestyle choice, and I would miss Big Macs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    the world would be overpopulated by cows and chickens.
    We would be weaker and sometimes sick because vegetables have nutrients that meat hasn't and the reverse. We need both things to survive.
    No matter how many times I hear these, it's still always hilarious.

I don't think it would really make much of a difference, to be honest. I'd be happy to see that animal slaughter is over though.

Helping the environment and having a healthy diet is already within our grasp. Even if the world became vegetarian, it doesn't make it any easier to lead a healthy lifestyle; and it doesn't mean the industries and governments are suddenly going to start taking better care of the environment. They developed unhealthy and environment damaging ways to mass produce meat, they could do the same for vegetables. Still, there aren't any downsides compared to what the world is already like, so I'd be quite happy.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • We would be healthier... I guess. (But I seriously can't live without some meat, I'd probably be a skinny freak ew.)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    My family are vegetarians. I was raised to be a vegetarian so I don't really care if the world went veggie. We'd still be overpopulated so I don't see what you're getting at. Same with dying, you can't die from just eating vegetables. Healthier, it depends. I've seen some unhealthy vegetarians and healthy ones, depends what path you choose.

Years
    • Seen today
    That'd be amaaaazing! So many ignorant replies about protein this, farmers that in here, though. As someone who doesn't have a diet consisting of meat, I can safely say that I feel a lot more healthier than when I ate meat, and to assume that a vegetarian lifestyle is an unhealthy one is very foolish and ignorant of you. Do excuse me while I eat my baby carrot and continue to be a "skinny freak ew" while you commit suicide for no longer having the ability to eat a baby chicken.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Patchisou Yutohru said:
    Do excuse me while I eat my baby carrot and continue to be a "skinny freak ew" while you commit suicide for no longer having the ability to eat a baby chicken.
    (y)

I don't know about the differences between the nutrients in animals and vegetables so I'm going to leave those out here. Although I don't see vegetarians dropping dead from malnourishment so I expect that the idea of meat providing something that vegetables don't is complete rubbish tbqh.

And given that, I don't see why it matters. Sure current meat-eaters, myself included, would be bored at first but we'd get over it since you can make perfectly nice meals without any meat in them. And as far as human overpopulation goes... really? Switching to vegetarianism will, as far as I know, have no real noticeable effect on how long people live since eating meat isn't really unhealthy. Overpopulation of animals? Meh, doubt that one too; we stop intensively farming them and they stop intensively reproducing, after all.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • my family would surive if the world was vegantarian as we are mostly Vegan. we would be over run with chickens,sheep and cows.

we may be healther but as other people may have said we still have problems

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2013
    So. A big issue here is overpopulation, but are we really treating it the way it deserves? A common misconception is that overpopulation is bad. But overpopulation is a wonderful thing.

People. Everyone loves people. People create jobs, which in turn create a thriving economy. And what is better than that? Of course, it does come at a price - pollution, driving animals out of their natural habitats. However, this will happen anyway, and is a necessary if undesirable rung in mankind's ladder to success.

But anyway, back on topic. Should we all be vegetarian? The answer to that is no. In fact, I would go so far as to say that NONE of us should be vegetarian. Meat is a wonderful thing, we must embrace. Meat makes us strong. And if we are strong, we will rule! Western Civilisation and our culture of protein and burgers will triumph!

Thank you for taking the time to read my two cents.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Nope. Nope. Just nope. I have great respect for vegetarians, and a number of my friends are very comitted for a number of reasons, but it's just something I couldn't do. I don't think I'd kill myself, but I'd certainly end up being less healthy due to trying to get the 'pleasure' I get from meat from other sources, such as sugar and stuff.

oh poptart

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2011

I don't know about the differences between the nutrients in animals and vegetables so I'm going to leave those out here. Although I don't see vegetarians dropping dead from malnourishment so I expect that the idea of meat providing something that vegetables don't is complete rubbish tbqh.

It's a pretty well known fact that humans are carnivores, to be healthy we need a healthy portion of meat, vegetables and so on. A lot of the time vegans or vegetarians end up either having to load up on supplements that they can't get through their eccentric diet or stuff their faces with peanuts or faux meat to get those nutrients they're missing out on.

You really think meat and vegetables provide the same thing? "I expect the idea that meat provides anything veggies don't is rubbish"? What about protein, iron, omega 3, vitamin D, and anything else that I'm forgetting. I would say b12 which is essential in supporting a healthy immune system but some leaf eaters might whine about how you can get that in the odd vegetable or two that they've probably never eaten.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    "Overly sensitive about any negative comment towards their eating habit while they constantly point out that eating meat is disgusting?" Where did I say that? I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is to say that you're going to commit suicide for the fact that the world went vegetarian and how silly it sounds to think that vegetarians are skinny freaks. I don't see how that's hypocritical, but if you say so.

Back