• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Premier of Quebec makes you walk instead of taking the bus if you can't speak french

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
The Premier of Quebec wants to strengthen the law 101 which consist of making french the official language of the province of Quebec.

Anglos/ immigrants or tourists who can't order their tickets in French can WALK instead of taking the bus & subway.

Here is the story (If you can't read it, make sure to say so on your post)
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/you-can-...can-t-order-metro-tickets-in-french-1.1191752

What do you think about this?

Years
I don't like the idea of banning the use of other languages. I live in the US where most people speak English, but when I have to help someone who doesn't speak it very well I don't just tell them to go away until they can speak it better. I mean, really, that's not helpful at all.

You're better off encouraging people to speak a language. Give them a positive incentive.

Years
Quebec's always been weird with nationalist things like this, basically "if you aren't French or speak it, gtfo"

It's no different than idiots we have here that do the same to people speaking Spanish.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
The current Premier of Quebec is crazy, she got elected because of so many promises she said she would do. But the only thing she have been doing was making Quebec a pure french province. She even banned the word pasta from restaurants and wants to replace it with the french word 'pate'..

Back to topic, I don't think she's doing a good thing here. Montreal consist of a crap ton of immigrants and a lot of them can't speak french. According to studies, more than 45% of immigrants will go to Ontario if this keeps up.

What about the tourists and visitors that will go and visit there? They have to learn to speak french just to stay there for a couple of days?

I think that she's forgetting that Quebec is also part of Canada... and Canada is mostly English or bilingual.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think this is pretty unreasonable. Its very hard to learn foreign languages, and to learn it just because you might be taking a short visit to Quebec may not be worth it. Its one thing to encourage people to learn your native language, but anothetr for them to say "learn French or you get no transportation"

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Stupid idea. You're essentially telling other non-Francophone Canadians or English-speaking Quebecer, immigrants, businesses, and tourists that they aren't wanted.

You want them to walk? Fine. Enact this and they'll all walk right out of your province. Want to take the economic hit Quebec?

It says in our Constitution, or more specifically our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, that both official languages (English and French) "have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions". Provincial services are supposed to be provided regardless of language. French is Quebec's only official language since the '70s, but they're still required to follow the Federal legislation on this.

Parti Québécois and Bloc Québécois' constant nationalism and sovereignty stuff is tiresome.

She even banned the word pasta from restaurants and wants to replace it with the french word 'pate'.
She's a horrible person lol

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
She even banned the word pasta from restaurants and wants to replace it with the french word 'pate'.

You can ban words? Reminds me of back when they tried to get people to call French fries "freedom fries" instead. Didn't go over well, obviously. No one is still calling them that. Not even in the state of Alabama, folks!

Anyway, that is unreasonable. Especially in the case of tourists, because that would require learning a new language just to go on a, per se, week long vacation. Although I encourage learning new languages, especially French as I've been taking it for four years now, if you have no reason to learn it other than to be able to ride a bus when you visit Quebec, what's the point? If anything, it would deter people from even wanting to go there. But maybe this lady would like less tourists. Less tourists = less non-French speaking people!

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
This is just another step toward Quebec's secession from Canada. They're alienating everyone around them by doing things like this. No one likes them and they know it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This is, after all, the one province that banned certain foods based on color (No Cheese Whiz, Cheetos, etc).

WHAT LMAO. What if someone was color blind and they didn't know they were eating a cheesy orange snack? Crazy.

Well, there's one place in Canada I won't be going to now. It's funny that people think people in the southern US are a bunch of racists and unwelcoming foreigner-haters...at least we don't have laws preventing people from visiting and enjoying the states lmao. At least that I'm not aware of. ...Gee, something the US is doing right in comparison to another country. That's funny.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
This is, after all, the one province that banned certain foods based on color (No Cheese Whiz, Cheetos, etc).

What? That's hogwash, lol. We got tons of Cheese Whiz & Cheetos here.

Good thing that the Liberal party and the Coalition Quebec are against this idea. They want to keep the province bilingual. And Pauline Marois (The premier of Quebec) can't even speak English properly herself, she probably feels so bad that she wants everyone to be the same >.>

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
It's like other countries saying that if you can't speak their language, then gtfo also. It's not like French is gonna become non existent; A lot of places speak French in Europe and also in Africa. I mean, if you know even a tiny amount, then use it, but English is the universal language at this time.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Maybe some other part of Quebec don't have those as much as other regions.

She's also doing that because they think that the french language is dying in Montreal which is really not what's happening. There's just more languages in Montreal now, so it's not only 100% french everywhere.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
Well, there's one place in Canada I won't be going to now. It's funny that people think people in the southern US are a bunch of racists and unwelcoming foreigner-haters...at least we don't have laws preventing people from visiting and enjoying the states lmao. At least that I'm not aware of. ...Gee, something the US is doing right in comparison to another country. That's funny.

I'd reconsider hopefully. Quebec has a wonderfully rich history and is an absolute pleasure to visit. This sort of law won't even get far lmao.

You can ban words?

Or change them; I'd look up the Quebec Sign Law debacle if I were you.

I think that she's forgetting that Quebec is also part of Canada... and Canada is mostly English or bilingual.

You're joking right? Hardly anybody outside of Quebec can speak French fluently. The only reason I can speak French fluently is because my dad came from Quebec and he taught me. I'm still at risk of losing it if I don't practice.

I don't support these ideas at all, but I at least see where they're coming from. They're trying to preserve an identity (Since they are a minority don't forget that). It's just... ways like this are ridiculous and won't get you anywhere.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
That's why I wrote mostly english also :P

And I think the way Quebec is right now is good. Asides from Montreal, the rest of Quebec is like 95% french. And everything like restaurants, shops and other stores are all written in English unless they are trademarks or american stores.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Stupid idea. You're essentially telling other non-Francophone Canadians or English-speaking Quebecer, immigrants, businesses, and tourists that they aren't wanted.

You want them to walk? Fine. Enact this and they'll all walk right out of your province. Want to take the economic hit Quebec?

It says in our Constitution, or more specifically our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, that both official languages (English and French) "have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions". Provincial services are supposed to be provided regardless of language. French is Quebec's only official language since the '70s, but they're still required to follow the Federal legislation on this.

Parti Québécois and Bloc Québécois' constant nationalism and sovereignty stuff is tiresome.

She's a horrible person lol

This basically. I hate this attitude that they're adopting. It makes no sense to me. Everyone in Canada HAS to learn French as part of school.. and BOTH French and English are the national languages.. so.. why cut one out?
Imagine if it was someone Chinese, Indian, Korean, German, etc.. and they got kicked off the bus for not being able to speak French. How ridiculous! And it's discrimination!!

WTF is with their Quebecois elitist attitude? Damn government..

Wanting to separate and use the same currency? PFFTTT.. Yeah right.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Maybe English will be allowed as long as people speak half as loudly? XD [/only people who've been to Québec will get this]

Though seriously, first of all, I believe that the Parti Québecois only got elected because people were against the alternative Charest government that was planning huge tuition hikes. Not because they were supportive of the policies that Marois is implementing.

And think about it like this: if Francophones in Ontario were kicked off buses for not being able to speak English, French Canada would raise hell. So English Canada, you should exercise your right to do the same.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Though seriously, first of all, I believe that the Parti Québecois only got elected because people were against the alternative Charest government that was planning huge tuition hikes. Not because they were supportive of the policies that Marois is implementing.
A big mistake brought upon by some spoiled and uninformed kids. Quebec has the lowest tuition rates in the country. Other provinces pay about three times as much. And that's still nothing compared to the United States. It was going to raise by only a couple hundred dollars a year. And by the end of the proposed hike period, based on the numbers they were citing, it was still something that could be paid off in its entirety if you took a summer job and saved up.

That was so worth electing Parti Québecois for.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
She promised to freeze the tuiton fee for the students and that's why she got voted for. A few weeks ago she said that that was impossible and that the tuition rates will still go a little higher, lol.

Back