Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 6th, 2013 (7:06 PM). Edited June 7th, 2013 by Trev.
Trev's Avatar
Trev Trev is offline
starting my comeback tour
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: anywhere as long as I have dogs
    Age: 20
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Sassy
    Posts: 1,221
    Hi! Okay, so there's not a ton of tutorials that go into detail about how to expand sprites, even though it's very possible. Afaik, there also isn't a tutorial that shows how to give walking animations to the Pokemon (which imo should exist already, this is very crucial to a good hack). I have figured out how to both of these, and have decided to share my knowledge. This works for all overworld sprites, including the hero/heroine. You can completely eliminate the need to resize the sprites you want to insert with this simple trick.

    Prerequisites
    • Nameless Sprite Editor
    • Knowledge of how to use NSE
    • Overworld to Import (optional - you can draw it by hand if you want)
    • Advance-Map (optional - this is to see if the sprite works in-game by putting it on a map)

    Important Note: It should be recognized that repointing sprites takes a lot up space, and it should be done 1.) After any patch that takes up free space has been applied 2.) Before you edit anything else that could take up space. The sprite data is very space-conscious and will ruin anything that tries to overwrite it, so if you plan to change anything drastically e.g. expanding a map, do your sprites first. It'll save you the pain that I've gone through >.<

    Expanding the Dimensions of Sprites

    Step 1: Open your ROM in NSE.
    Spoiler:


    Step 2: Navigate to the Sprite you want to edit (I'll be changing the Kid Swimmer to the Mew from RSE, so I go to 36)
    Spoiler:


    Step 3: Click on Edit -> Preferences
    Spoiler:


    Step 4: Go to the Secondary Tab. If you want to have more/less frames than the current sprite has, change the amount now (it's best to leave it at the standard number - 9 [0-8]. The swimmer kid has a 9th frame that most sprites in FireRed have. This frame is never used and therefore never needs to be edited, so don't worry about it if it's there). If the box labelled "Copy Frames" is checked, uncheck it (I'll explain this later). After everything you want is set, click change and click yes on the notification that comes up.
    Spoiler:


    Congrats, your sprite has been successfully repointed! Now it won't overwrite any other sprites when we edit it, and it should still show up in-game.

    Step 5: Go back to the Primary tag and edit the height and/or width to what you want. Since the Mew OW from RSE is 16x32, I have to change my height from 16 to 32. Click save when you're satisfied. Your sprite should now be the size you want it to be.
    Spoiler:


    Don't edit your sprite yet! Even though the sprite itself was repointed, the frames still act as a the size of the previous sprite. If you draw your sprite in the box now and go to the next frame, you'll see that most of the sprite you just drew is now in the next frame. In my case, I went from a 16x16 sprite to a 16x32 sprite. The frames only have enough space to display a 16x16 sprite - anything else will write into the next frame, which looks terrible. In order to have enough space to add our sprite, we have to repoint every frame; yeah, it's a hassle, but NSE has a handy feature to save us the trouble of having to hex edit everything.

    Step 6: Next to the save button, there's a drop-down box with the word index on it. Click it and choose Frame. On the right side, you should see a box with the label "Pointer" and an offset written in it, alongside a magnifying glass. This is how we will change the offset of the frame to give us more space. Click on the magnifying glass, and the offset should change. Click save, and a box should come up - click Yes. The sprite box should go completely black - this is normal, it means that the frame has been repointed and is ready for use.
    Spoiler:





    Step 7: Repeat Step 6 until you have finished editing every frame for the sprite. You must repoint EVERY frame, or the sprite will look very weird in-game. Always repoint the frame before you edit the sprite to prevent it from writing over into the next frame (also because when you repoint the frame, it erases whatever is in it. This is okay for people who import stuff - not okay for people who draw it by hand). The picture below shows my imported Mew sprite - aka SUCCESS!
    Spoiler:


    Important Note: Be wary when going from 16x16 to 32x32 - the frames tend to not match up, which makes it look weird when the sprite walks. You could go around this by going from 16x16 to 16x32 and then to 32x32, but I haven't tested this so it's just theory.

    That's how to expand sprites! This could come in handy for a lot of things, like using DS sprites without having to resize them! Most DS sprites would use 32x32 as they are much larger than GBA sprites, but the same method for repointing the sprite and each frame still applies.

    Walking Animations for Pokemon

    You know how FireRed has Pokemon sprites built in? Well, yeah, duh! You need Pokemon sprites in a Pokemon game! However, the overworlds are just... pathetic. Almost all of them are 16x16, they look terrible, and none of them having walking animations! The first two are fixed by simply repointing and expanding the sprites. However, to add walking animation, there's a simple fix.

    Important Note: Some Pokemon only have 1 frame (0) e.g. Snorlax, so you'll need to change the number to 9 (0-8) for most of these Pokemon.

    Step 1: Open your ROM in NSE and navigate to the sprite you want to give walking animations to (I'll use Zapdos because f*ck yeah Zapdos [my Zapdos is pink in this because the Mew sprite from the last part changed the palette when I imported it])
    Spoiler:


    Step 2: Go to Edit -> Preferences and go to the Secondary tab. Before hitting Change, if you need to change the amount of frames, do so now. Uncheck "Copy Frames" and hit Change. Click Yes on the box that comes up.
    Spoiler:


    If you left Copy Frames checked, you're gonna have to repeat that step. If you don't uncheck the box, you'll be stuck with the same sprite in every frame - and that looks terrible.

    Step 3: Your Pokemon can now walk (or fly!) You can now edit the sprite to whatever you need it to be. If needed, you can resize it after unchecking Copy Frames, using Steps 5 & 6 from the section above (I could have combined these but lol).

    Important Note: Flying Types whose walking animations show them flying require a different frame structure. I'll use Pidgeot's HGSS sprite to demonstrate how this should look in NSE:

    Spoiler:
    Frame 0:
    Frame 1:
    Frame 2:
    Frame 3:
    Frame 4:
    Frame 5:
    Frame 6:
    Frame 7:
    Frame 8:


    This should make it look like the Pokemon is flying in-game. I recommend to have it constantly moving during the game, but it's okay to have it stationary (it'll look like it's roosting with it's wings up )

    Well, there's the tutorial! I hope to see games using larger sprites and animated Pokemon sprites come out soon after this. As another goody, I give to you all a wonderful gift: Indexed, ready to insert HGSS overworlds of a few Pokemon using FRLG palettes! Credit goes to AimayBee for recoloring these sprites in the correct palettes. These can be inserted directly into NSE with no indexing or recoloring.

    Okay, that's all I have. Thanks for reading, and good luck!
    Attached Files
    File Type: zip Indexed FR Pokemon Sprites.ZIP‎ (25.4 KB, 263 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    __________________
    Projects





    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old June 7th, 2013 (9:46 PM). Edited June 7th, 2013 by X-Tyranitar.
    X-Tyranitar's Avatar
    X-Tyranitar X-Tyranitar is offline
    Professional Rom Hacker
       
      Join Date: Jun 2013
      Location: Utah, United States
      Age: 20
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Naughty
      Posts: 53
      This was a great tutorial! Good job

      Maybe you would like to join my team? Project Hyperion , PM me if interested
      __________________
      'My Current Favorite Pokemon'
      ARCANINE
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old June 10th, 2013 (11:32 PM).
      hazy_moon's Avatar
      hazy_moon hazy_moon is offline
         
        Join Date: Dec 2012
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 1
        Early to bed and early to rise , makes a man healthy , wealthy and wise
        .(Benjamin Franklin , American president )
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old July 20th, 2013 (11:16 AM).
        Leaf Dragon's Avatar
        Leaf Dragon Leaf Dragon is offline
        Leaf Dragon
           
          Join Date: Jul 2013
          Location: Mesa, Arizona
          Age: 19
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 4
          Sometimes when I add new sprites into my game they change color if they are near each other.

          Does anyone know why? I really do not like my hero sprite to be green when in the presence of celebi.

          I have not tried to insert with NSE, so I will attempt it before I give up. I have been using Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition.
          __________________
          Leaf Dragon

          -Be what you love; love who you are-

          In a thousand-mile journey the 389th step matters as much as the first.
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old July 21st, 2013 (4:37 PM).
          Trev's Avatar
          Trev Trev is offline
          starting my comeback tour
             
            Join Date: May 2012
            Location: anywhere as long as I have dogs
            Age: 20
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Sassy
            Posts: 1,221
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Leaf Dragon View Post
            Sometimes when I add new sprites into my game they change color if they are near each other.

            Does anyone know why? I really do not like my hero sprite to be green when in the presence of celebi.

            I have not tried to insert with NSE, so I will attempt it before I give up. I have been using Overworld Editor Rebirth Edition.
            This should really be in the Simple Questions thread but whatever. The only thing that could be causing your problem is if you overwrite palette 10 with the Celebi palette. Palette 0 and Palette 10 are linked together, so if two overworlds on the screen are using one of each, they'll be the same color.
            __________________
            Projects





            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old October 1st, 2013 (11:11 AM).
            Chrisario's Avatar
            Chrisario Chrisario is offline
            Friend code :0018 2912 2366 let me know
               
              Join Date: Jul 2013
              Location: In friend Safari
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 113
              So can like put let say I want to put 32x32 size sprite to make it bigger how do I make like it looks like in the 4th and 5th games if you can help me with that that be cool
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old October 1st, 2013 (7:09 PM).
              Orifiel's Avatar
              Orifiel Orifiel is offline
              Priestess
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2013
                Location: Tokyo, Japan
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Lonely
                Posts: 421
                I was wondering how I change the size.
                Thanks a lot! Still I need to change mine without
                ruining the rest of the palette of the other sprites.
                __________________
                ~ Pair | Character | Previously L96 ~
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old October 18th, 2014 (6:29 AM).
                Lance32497's Avatar
                Lance32497 Lance32497 is offline
                LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2014
                  Location: Criscanto town-Ginoa Region xD
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Adamant
                  Posts: 793
                  What the Heck!
                  I dont know whats the problem,
                  I followed the tutorial correctly,, but my rom has been corrupted!
                  I made so many things in my rom!

                  Please help me!
                  How can I fix that?
                  __________________
                  This signature has been disabled.
                  Scrollbar appears
                  Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

                  You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

                  Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old September 4th, 2015 (12:43 PM).
                  thedarkdragon11's Avatar
                  thedarkdragon11 thedarkdragon11 is offline
                  New World Pirate
                     
                    Join Date: May 2009
                    Location: Raftel, New World
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Hasty
                    Posts: 672
                    Can I use custom palette without replacing any existing palette?
                    __________________
                    I'm still hoping that one day, I'll be contributing something helpful and significant to every ROM hackers out there...
                    Reply With Quote
                      #10    
                    Old October 9th, 2015 (7:13 AM).
                    zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2011
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 7
                      Your post's Attachment Link isn't working for me; Do you think that you could re-upload/re-attach it, preferably to a site like Mediafire?
                      Reply With Quote
                        #11    
                      Old May 15th, 2016 (7:06 PM).
                      Dwin3's Avatar
                      Dwin3 Dwin3 is offline
                         
                        Join Date: May 2016
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 3
                        Awesome tutorial!
                        but there was a problem with mine. I can't uncheck the "Copy Frames" on the Edit>Preferences>Secondary, Resulting weird frames when walking in-game. Please help
                        __________________

                        Live to the fullest!
                        Reply With Quote
                          #12    
                        Old August 19th, 2016 (10:56 PM).
                        The_learner's Avatar
                        The_learner The_learner is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Sep 2014
                          Location: Somewhere in this world.
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Brave
                          Posts: 495
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Awkward. View Post
                          Hi! Okay, so there's not a ton of tutorials that go into detail about how to expand sprites, even though it's very possible. Afaik, there also isn't a tutorial that shows how to give walking animations to the Pokemon (which imo should exist already, this is very crucial to a good hack). I have figured out how to both of these, and have decided to share my knowledge. This works for all overworld sprites, including the hero/heroine. You can completely eliminate the need to resize the sprites you want to insert with this simple trick.

                          Prerequisites
                          • Nameless Sprite Editor
                          • Knowledge of how to use NSE
                          • Overworld to Import (optional - you can draw it by hand if you want)
                          • Advance-Map (optional - this is to see if the sprite works in-game by putting it on a map)

                          Important Note: It should be recognized that repointing sprites takes a lot up space, and it should be done 1.) After any patch that takes up free space has been applied 2.) Before you edit anything else that could take up space. The sprite data is very space-conscious and will ruin anything that tries to overwrite it, so if you plan to change anything drastically e.g. expanding a map, do your sprites first. It'll save you the pain that I've gone through >.<

                          Expanding the Dimensions of Sprites

                          Step 1: Open your ROM in NSE.
                          Spoiler:


                          Step 2: Navigate to the Sprite you want to edit (I'll be changing the Kid Swimmer to the Mew from RSE, so I go to 36)
                          Spoiler:


                          Step 3: Click on Edit -> Preferences
                          Spoiler:


                          Step 4: Go to the Secondary Tab. If you want to have more/less frames than the current sprite has, change the amount now (it's best to leave it at the standard number - 9 [0-8]. The swimmer kid has a 9th frame that most sprites in FireRed have. This frame is never used and therefore never needs to be edited, so don't worry about it if it's there). If the box labelled "Copy Frames" is checked, uncheck it (I'll explain this later). After everything you want is set, click change and click yes on the notification that comes up.
                          Spoiler:


                          Congrats, your sprite has been successfully repointed! Now it won't overwrite any other sprites when we edit it, and it should still show up in-game.

                          Step 5: Go back to the Primary tag and edit the height and/or width to what you want. Since the Mew OW from RSE is 16x32, I have to change my height from 16 to 32. Click save when you're satisfied. Your sprite should now be the size you want it to be.
                          Spoiler:


                          Don't edit your sprite yet! Even though the sprite itself was repointed, the frames still act as a the size of the previous sprite. If you draw your sprite in the box now and go to the next frame, you'll see that most of the sprite you just drew is now in the next frame. In my case, I went from a 16x16 sprite to a 16x32 sprite. The frames only have enough space to display a 16x16 sprite - anything else will write into the next frame, which looks terrible. In order to have enough space to add our sprite, we have to repoint every frame; yeah, it's a hassle, but NSE has a handy feature to save us the trouble of having to hex edit everything.

                          Step 6: Next to the save button, there's a drop-down box with the word index on it. Click it and choose Frame. On the right side, you should see a box with the label "Pointer" and an offset written in it, alongside a magnifying glass. This is how we will change the offset of the frame to give us more space. Click on the magnifying glass, and the offset should change. Click save, and a box should come up - click Yes. The sprite box should go completely black - this is normal, it means that the frame has been repointed and is ready for use.
                          Spoiler:





                          Step 7: Repeat Step 6 until you have finished editing every frame for the sprite. You must repoint EVERY frame, or the sprite will look very weird in-game. Always repoint the frame before you edit the sprite to prevent it from writing over into the next frame (also because when you repoint the frame, it erases whatever is in it. This is okay for people who import stuff - not okay for people who draw it by hand). The picture below shows my imported Mew sprite - aka SUCCESS!
                          Spoiler:


                          Important Note: Be wary when going from 16x16 to 32x32 - the frames tend to not match up, which makes it look weird when the sprite walks. You could go around this by going from 16x16 to 16x32 and then to 32x32, but I haven't tested this so it's just theory.

                          That's how to expand sprites! This could come in handy for a lot of things, like using DS sprites without having to resize them! Most DS sprites would use 32x32 as they are much larger than GBA sprites, but the same method for repointing the sprite and each frame still applies.

                          Walking Animations for Pokemon

                          You know how FireRed has Pokemon sprites built in? Well, yeah, duh! You need Pokemon sprites in a Pokemon game! However, the overworlds are just... pathetic. Almost all of them are 16x16, they look terrible, and none of them having walking animations! The first two are fixed by simply repointing and expanding the sprites. However, to add walking animation, there's a simple fix.

                          Important Note: Some Pokemon only have 1 frame (0) e.g. Snorlax, so you'll need to change the number to 9 (0-8) for most of these Pokemon.

                          Step 1: Open your ROM in NSE and navigate to the sprite you want to give walking animations to (I'll use Zapdos because f*ck yeah Zapdos [my Zapdos is pink in this because the Mew sprite from the last part changed the palette when I imported it])
                          Spoiler:


                          Step 2: Go to Edit -> Preferences and go to the Secondary tab. Before hitting Change, if you need to change the amount of frames, do so now. Uncheck "Copy Frames" and hit Change. Click Yes on the box that comes up.
                          Spoiler:


                          If you left Copy Frames checked, you're gonna have to repeat that step. If you don't uncheck the box, you'll be stuck with the same sprite in every frame - and that looks terrible.

                          Step 3: Your Pokemon can now walk (or fly!) You can now edit the sprite to whatever you need it to be. If needed, you can resize it after unchecking Copy Frames, using Steps 5 & 6 from the section above (I could have combined these but lol).

                          Important Note: Flying Types whose walking animations show them flying require a different frame structure. I'll use Pidgeot's HGSS sprite to demonstrate how this should look in NSE:

                          Spoiler:
                          Frame 0:
                          Frame 1:
                          Frame 2:
                          Frame 3:
                          Frame 4:
                          Frame 5:
                          Frame 6:
                          Frame 7:
                          Frame 8:


                          This should make it look like the Pokemon is flying in-game. I recommend to have it constantly moving during the game, but it's okay to have it stationary (it'll look like it's roosting with it's wings up )

                          Well, there's the tutorial! I hope to see games using larger sprites and animated Pokemon sprites come out soon after this. As another goody, I give to you all a wonderful gift: Indexed, ready to insert HGSS overworlds of a few Pokemon using FRLG palettes! Credit goes to AimayBee for recoloring these sprites in the correct palettes. These can be inserted directly into NSE with no indexing or recoloring.

                          Okay, that's all I have. Thanks for reading, and good luck!

                          I dont know if its happening to me only but Every time i click on the download link I get redirected to a blank page.
                          Pls help me
                          Reply With Quote
                            #13    
                          Old August 20th, 2016 (9:23 AM).
                          Bulbadon's Avatar
                          Bulbadon Bulbadon is offline
                          Might or might not come back
                             
                            Join Date: Jun 2014
                            Age: 19
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Calm
                            Posts: 119
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Bsantosh909 View Post
                            I dont know if its happening to me only but Every time i click on the download link I get redirected to a blank page.
                            Pls help me
                            It's not only happening to you. The link is broken, there was an attack or something on Pokecommunity which left a lot of the links broken.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #14    
                            Old August 20th, 2016 (6:10 PM).
                            The_learner's Avatar
                            The_learner The_learner is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Sep 2014
                              Location: Somewhere in this world.
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Brave
                              Posts: 495
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Bulbadon View Post
                              It's not only happening to you. The link is broken, there was an attack or something on Pokecommunity which left a lot of the links broken.
                              Oh. thats why I try to open many link in pokecommunity that redirects me to a black page.
                              well thanks for the reply :D
                              Reply With Quote
                              Reply
                              Quick Reply

                              Sponsored Links
                              Thread Tools

                              Posting Rules
                              You may not post new threads
                              You may not post replies
                              You may not post attachments
                              You may not edit your posts

                              BB code is On
                              Smilies are On
                              [IMG] code is On
                              HTML code is Off

                              Forum Jump


                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:36 AM.