• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

...Logic?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • The worlds in each video games have their own brand of logic; as confusing as it might be. What are some brands of logic in video games did you find the most puzzling?

For example, you can't even hit someone with that "stick" in Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde for the NES. I mean, you'd think that it would at least poke the people and make them stumble a bit, but... no. You can only take down bees.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Pokémon specific - nobody catches these super-rare legendaries that are sitting in caves waiting.

Games that try to explain some strange skill system in terms of actual logic (AKA the crystal thing from FF13).

Do these even count idk.

TY

Borderlands 2 - You would think Hyperion personnel would use Hyperion weaponry, but i see more Dahl and Vladof weapons in their hands than Hyperion ones.

Years
  • Games such as FIFA lack logic. There is a term players use now when something isn't logical; they just say "EA Logic". It's because of things such as touching a player on the half-way and getting a red card happening. But all the EA Logic stuff happens a lot more than it should in the game. I've experienced it far too much, and have just stopped playing the game now because it's a waste of time and money. I think EA seriously need to work on fixing their games, generally FIFA, and I will consider buying it again when major improvements have been made.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • Honestly, the only game I expect any logic close to that of real life from anymore is Forza games. I've given up on trying to understand how the clouds in Mario games have eyes, or how you can survive a jump from 20 stories up in Assassin's Creed as long as you land in hay.

The most puzzling bit of "logic" I've seen in a game is in the old Sonic games, where Sonic, despite being the "fastest thing alive", can be easily outrun by Dr. Robotnik, his morbidly obese arch nemesis.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    How about the "I can hold 80 more _____," why can't I pick up this item? :(

The magics of item bags in games, it's a shame you can't pick up random useful items and put them in.

Yukari

In Ultima 7 Nobody suspects That the fellowship is responsible for the ritualized murders when they are the ONLY organization in all of Britannia

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • For some reason sweeties, I think first person shooters.

"I have this rocket launcher...yet I can't seem to destroy this wooden door with it."
    Or the fact they can have several guns on them and can switch between them easily.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • The jumping/falling system in the classic Mega Man sidescrollers allowed you to change your trajectory mid-air...obviously that's logically impossible unless he has invisible jets or something in his feet.

And another one that's been brought up is the pack size of RPGs. Wow, I can fit several sets of armour and a bike in my bag!

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
  • You somehow can put fish in your pockets and they will still be alive. You can hold whale sharks in one hand. Fossils are like swirly blue things with white star things. Leaves can magically be turned into furniture.

Animal crossing has lots of questionable logic

TY

Also in StarCraft 2, i noticed something that is quite... see for yourselves

Spoiler:

1. This massive unit, named the Ultralisk, is as fast as a Stalker, who is smaller, as seen below, which is silly.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The whole Nintendo logic is confusing.

Also: on a grid based RPGs those people and things like small buckets standing in your way causing you to be stuck in order to do the plot related stuff. "This little stone that you shurely cannot climb over is standing in you way."

takenbythewind

fly on little wing ♪
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2013
    In Animal Crossing you can put large couches, wardrobes and any other furniture you can think of in your pockets...
    You can also hold fish, and huge T-Rex fossils.

BlueEspeon

Banned
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    Pokemon:
    Health Care is free.
    Lemonade is 350$??!?!?!?!

Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time:
    Can't run with metal boots on.
    Can Backflip with metal boots on?!?!?!

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • FPS games logic always got me.
    I mean you can't stand 10 meters away from a fragmentation grenade and expect to be alive, hell you could be 50 meters away and still get some shrapnel from it. The American Army uses a AT-4 rocket launcher. The AT-4 is disposable, you can't reload it. You shoot it once then throw it away. Not to mention fatigue. IBA and Kevlar alone is about 15-20 lbs extra weight, add on an assault pack filled with ammo and MREs, and a tent, you ain't gonna be running long, let alone shooting straight right after. A M16A4 weights about 7 lbs (9-10 lbs with full mag), it doesn't sound like alot but when your carrying it at the low-ready all day, it takes it's toll. In Battlefield 3 I see people running around with a M240B.....Ha, I had the luxury of carrying that weapon system on a 10 mile ruck march. It weights 27 pounds. You can't even fire it straight without a tripod and the tripod is so heavy that they have another man carry it! Needless to say, after the march I could barely feel my arms, there is no way in hell someone can carry that thing in the high-ready all the time unless they are some sort of robot.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I've always wondered how the Covenant in the Halo series managed to speak English in all honesty. Also in GTA 4 when I get hit by a car and not only am I still alive I am able to run off like nothing happened.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
    Years
  • These are probably all outlined on TV tropes already, but here goes.

Almost any NES and SNES era RPG, and thus pretty much every later RPG game where you can traverse a world map. Going to the end of the map (usually needs to be done via boat or airship) will often cause you to respawn on the other side, no matter where you do this. This means that the planet on which the game takes place is shaped like a donut.

Another one common to RPGs especially, but can appear in platforming games as well are objects such as low fences or tress that you should be able to go around or over, but can't. They're often conveniently put in places to keep you from going to the edge of the map

Also, any sequel to a game that stars the same character(s) as the original. Most of the time, all of the items and skills that a character obtained in a previous game vanish to give a fresh start in the sequel. This is also especialy apparent in RPGs (Final Fantasy X-2 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door being examples), but appears just as often in other games. An explanation may be given, such as the character being shipricked and losing all their equipment (a la Zelda: Link's Awakening), but just as often everything is gone mysteriously and must be regained.

Next come cutscenes. Outside of the actual gameplay, characters are able to perform amazing feats of strength and agility, or unable to do such things that they could while not in a cutscene. Even worse, a character might just watch in awe as something terrible happens, that could have been prevented if they took action. Cloud is suddenly frozen in place while Sephiroth descends from the ceiling and kills Aeris. This works in reverse too (sorry Final Fantasy, you're just too easy to quote), such as the summons in FFIX being immensely more powerful when you're not on the battle screen.

PokeChris123

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Pokemon: Your house has two floors, your bedroom and the kitchen... wait, where does your mother sleep?
    Sonic: Who puts all of these spikes, loop-de-loop highways and unreachable roads win a city? How do these platforms float?

A lot of video games in general: Where's the bathroom/Why can't I use the bathroom?

Back