• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character shadows

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
  • I have a few questions about how this works

1) For the comments, if an event has multiple pages, such as a random trainer, does the comment need to be on both pages?
    2) If the answer to the previous question is no, then if I were to accidentally put it on both pages would the shadow "double up"?
    3) If I wanted to add shadows to dependent events, would you know anything about that? Since they aren't standard events on a single map their location would change differently, and I'm not sure how this shadow script would work on them, if at all.

Thanks for sharing this awesome resource with us and ahead of time for answering my questions!

1) Yes
    2) No
    3) *punts dependent events* I'm stumped on how to add shadows to them >_>

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • If I wanted to add shadows to dependent events, would you know anything about that? Since they aren't standard events on a single map their location would change differently, and I'm not sure how this shadow script would work on them, if at all.

Why not go about doing it differently? Why not treat the events as sprites instead of events? Since they show up on screen, and since their sprites animate and position correctly, they have to have some data which tells the RGSS player to position them at certain screen coordinates. Track that instead of the event.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    Why not go about doing it differently? Why not treat the events as sprites instead of events? Since they show up on screen, and since their sprites animate and position correctly, they have to have some data which tells the RGSS player to position them at certain screen coordinates. Track that instead of the event.

Alright that's a start. Don't suppose I could get any hints as to where I'd start looking for that? haha. If I do find something I'll share it here

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Alright that's a start. Don't suppose I could get any hints as to where I'd start looking for that? haha. If I do find something I'll share it here

I haven't really looked at it to be honest, but off the top of my head, I'd think to look around Sprite_Character first. That's the place the event sprites are manipulated in (if I'm not mistaken).

If I do happen to do some RMXP work in the near future, and find something of use, I'll let you know.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    I haven't really looked at it to be honest, but off the top of my head, I'd think to look around Sprite_Character first. That's the place the event sprites are manipulated in (if I'm not mistaken).

If I do happen to do some RMXP work in the near future, and find something of use, I'll let you know.

I'll give it a look thanks! Theres a few different script sections that deal with dependent events that I'll look through too.

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    My shadow seems to be a bit off centered...
    i imgur com/axJdE5Z.png (Sorry, I don't have 15 posts yet just insert a period where the space is)

mustafa505

Aeon Developer
    Years
  • Ok so i edited the script with poor knowledge of Ruby, somehow it worked, the ledge and grass works but when running i get this:
    2zjjhx4.jpg

Jump works nicely though:
    1zyd7h2.jpg

Here is the script which i edited, (it is the very same, little change at the lines where i received syntax errors and i shifted whole shadow script to the bottom it avoided some of the syntax error and the line:
    @bitmap=Bitmap.new("Graphics/Pictures/Shadow @rsprite=sprite
    " should be
    @bitmap=Bitmap.new("Graphics/Pictures/Shadow")
    @rsprite=sprite
    ( If anyone is getting syntax error too, this may or may not work for them)
    Script:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Works fine for me, as far as I know the character sprite has to be 256x256
    then you can adjust line 160, and 161
    Code:
          @sprite.x=x+width-[COLOR="red"]48[/COLOR]
          @sprite.y=y+height-[COLOR="Red"]16[/COLOR]

mustafa505

Aeon Developer
    Years
  • Works fine for me, as far as I know the character sprite has to be 256x256
    then you can adjust line 160, and 161
    Code:
          @sprite.x=x+width-[COLOR="red"]48[/COLOR]
          @sprite.y=y+height-[COLOR="Red"]16[/COLOR]

So those numbers you highlighted are the coordinates for the shadow when user runs or walk or jump?
    EDIT:
    I tried changing them, it only changes the walk and jump coordinates the coordinates in running state remain at that same position

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • So those numbers you highlighted are the coordinates for the shadow when user runs or walk or jump?

Yeah, they aren't the numbers in the stock script though, I adjusted them to those, and it works fine for me, you just need to adjust the character sets you use, especially if you're using Fr/Lg style, as they are much smaller dimensions. If you align the character set to the shadow it'll work out nicely. Although that's what I do since there's a transition from gen 3 OW to gen 4 OW, you could adjust the shadow to your character set, whatever is easier for you.
    EDIT
    it works for me, probably because mine are adjusted to be 256x256

Last edited:

mustafa505

Aeon Developer
    Years
  • Yeah, they aren't the numbers in the stock script though, I adjusted them to those, and it works fine for me, you just need to adjust the character sets you use, especially if you're using Fr/Lg style, as they are much smaller dimensions. If you align the character set to the shadow it'll work out nicely. Although that's what I do since there's a transition from gen 3 OW to gen 4 OW, you could adjust the shadow to your character set, whatever is easier for you.
    EDIT
    it works for me, probably because mine are adjusted to be 256x256

Yeah i found out it was because the red's 3rd gen running sprite was not 256x256 so it actually works now that i have tested it with 256x256 :D thanks for help!

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
    Years
  • I tried to use the script, but got Syntax Error 183.

Then I tried mustafa505's script and got Syntax Error 358 on this line:
    @bitmap=Bitmap.new("Graphics/Pictures/Shadow @rsprite=sprite

I tried changing it to what mustafa505 said but I still get the same Syntax Error. Help?

Years
  • What the actual script there is
    Code:
    @bitmap=Bitmap.new("Graphics/Pictures/Shadow")  @rsprite=sprite
    Which is still wrong, it should be
    Code:
    @bitmap=Bitmap.new("Graphics/Pictures/Shadow")
    @rsprite=sprite

Edit: It's messing up my codes too. So not sure if it's you or the posted script.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Yeah, it's been doing that more and more lately for some reason. If you're posting a script of decent length, I'd recommend a pastebin backup or simply a .txt file of it

Back