• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pick one of these three.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
  • In Generation 2, we were introduced to 3 Pokemon who would either breathe fire, shoot water or throw sharp leaves!

So which one of these were your favorites? :)

Cyndaquil
    Spr_2c_155.gif
    Spr_2c_156.gif
    Spr_2c_157.gif

Totodile
    Spr_2c_158.gif
    Spr_2c_159.gif
    Spr_2c_160.gif

Or Chikorita?
    Spr_2c_152.gif
    Spr_2c_153.gif
    Spr_2c_154.gif

Years
  • Hard to say. The first 3 times I played this I went with Chikorita, simply because I liked the plant type. Then I switched over to Cyndaquil because I liked the final evolution form (Typhlosion) more than Meganium. I never went with Totodile because I don't like the evolution forms of him. Cyndaquil is probably my most-picked starter.

Complicated: Favorite starter is Chikorita, favorite 1st evolution type is tied between Quilava and Bayleef and favorite 2nd evolution type is Typhlosion. :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd have to say the Meganium line; to me, it looks just simply adorable. Meganium also makes a great tank; you just need to use it right. Second favorite would be Typhlosion family. :] Which did I choose? I picked all three (had several different runs, so…), but the first would be Cyndaquil.

Years
  • I'd have picked Totodile but probably because it's the first Pokemon I ever had in a video game. Cyndaquil is a fine choice as well. If you enjoy challenges, pick Chikorita.

Years
  • I'd had Yellow before I played Gold, though I'd literally played about 20 minutes worth of Yellow and had barely gotten to Viridian City before I played Gold and got totally drawn into it. Cyndaquil was my first Pokémon, and given the choice it'll always be my favourite. Cyndaquil line all the way!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • The first time i played Gen2 i picked Cyndaquil, because i loved Charmander in the previous games. By now though, my favorite is Totodile. I really like his design and loved him in the Anime

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Totodile; it was just so cute in a twisted way to me and then I saw Ash's dancing one. I knew when I got Gold it was gonna be my starter and used it again in Crystal; but I ended up using Cyndaquil on my final file because there is an extreme lack of decent fire pokemon in those games (and the remakes).

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Totodile was my favourite as well. When I first saw the three starters in Pokemon Silver, I picked Totodile because of its design and color scheme. And because my save file would disappear randomly, I picked Totodile most of the time I had to restart. Sometimes I picked Chikorita or Cyndaquil for a change, but they never grew on to me as much as Totodile did.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I really love all three of the Johto starters, but I'm going to have to go with Cyndaquil for nostalgia's sake :3

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I love Cyndaquil the most design wise and he's prettystrong. Feraligatr learns better moves early on and can pack quite a punch, Meganium is the most difficult to use imo, since he's weak to most gym leaders and his movepool isn't that great neither.

My favorite overall, would be Cyndaquil and it's line :)

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
    Years
  • When I first played these games, I chose Chikorita. Though he is difficult to use, I still choose him a lot because he fits into my planned teams well. Given the choice now, I would probably go with Totodile even if there are better water types out there. He has a good movepool and can pack quite a punch. I like Cyndaquil well enough though.

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • To preface this, I just want to say maybe this should be a poll. Just a thought.

I adore the Chickorita line, but I have a never used it in literally any of my Nuzlockes. Early game is just so difficult with it.

Years
  • Totodile was my first pick, it is one of the best pokemon you can have.
    I loved my gold edition when I first bought it and I played all the time and beet red again and again just to reach level 100 with my beloved Pokemon :)
    I guess this was my first Pokemon which I trained to level 100 :) and I guess that shows how much I like it. :)

Years
  • Cyndaquil, but I've always liked Fire types. After Charizard in Gen 1, I stuck with Fire types throughout each gen. Although, I liked all three in the Gen, it seemed Totodile and Cyndaquil we're the only two with use at the start of the games.

Years
  • Unfortunately, the Johto starters are some of my least favorite to use, but I found myself picking Cyndaquil most often out of the three. It's a lot easier to get a hold of other Grass and Water type Pokemon early in the game (Hoppip, Bellsprout and Wooper are all available near Violet City), whereas I believe the first Fire type Pokemon you can get is evolving the Eevee from Goldenrod into a Flareon.

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
  • Johto starters aren't one of my most favourite class of starters I would choose from :L
    Normally, I'd choose the water starters for every game, but in exception, as in when I chose cyndaquil (mostly because for the appearance of Typhosion xD), and...rejected Totodile :/. Wasnt a fan of dat ^^

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Unfortunately, the Johto starters are some of my least favorite to use, but I found myself picking Cyndaquil most often out of the three. It's a lot easier to get a hold of other Grass and Water type Pokemon early in the game (Hoppip, Bellsprout and Wooper are all available near Violet City), whereas I believe the first Fire type Pokemon you can get is evolving the Eevee from Goldenrod into a Flareon.
    Actually, the first Fire type you can get in Johto is Growlithe (or Vulpix if you're playing Silver). In Pokemon Crystal, you can also get Magby from the egg from the daycare if you're lucky.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Tough choice really, but the first one I had ever picked was Cyndaquil! He was just absolutely adorable and I thought he was just so cool, then eventually I also started to like Totodile because he was also just adorbs~ and both of their last evolutions were just boss for me. I really liked them both out of all three.

Back