• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] But if Mew was the first pokemon, and Arceus created all Pokemon...

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
Years
  • Seriously. Arceus is said to have created all pokemon, when Mew is said to be the first. That makes to facts that Arceus disobeys: the basic canon of the Pokemon universe, and the fact that C makes the sss sound in front of E, I and Y, but only Y when it makes its vowel sound.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You lost me with that last sentence.

People have theorized before who came first, Arceus or Mew, and no one's come up with a truly definitive answer. It could just be something that Game Freak never sorted out.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Since Arceus is the pokemon god he created mew first then the rest. Mew is the ancestor of pokemon because he was the first created by Arceus. This is not told in the Sinnoh region due to the legend was created before mew was discovered. The regions are not exactly connected when they were first inhabited. Legend's from each region are different. People explored different regions and settled down. Much like the Europeans and the America's before Columbus.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I could be wrong but from the information I have I think it goes likes this:

-Arceus creates the universe

-Arceus creates Dialga, Palkia and Giratina

-Arceus creates Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit

-Earth comes into existance (may or may not have been created by Arceus)

-Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza come into existance with the earth (it's never been mentioned anywhere but I think Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde may have as well)

-Mew first appears

Again, I could be wrong.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • I could be wrong but from the information I have I think it goes likes this:

-Arceus creates the universe

-Arceus creates Dialga, Palkia and Giratina

-Arceus creates Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit

-Earth comes into existance (may or may not have been created by Arceus)

-Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza come into existance with the earth (it's never been mentioned anywhere but I think Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde may have as well)

-Mew first appears

Again, I could be wrong.

Like this theory, it explains both the reason why first mew showed up (to humans), and Arceus being first, though I think mew would have been created before the rest of the legendary's.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    What if they both hatched from eggs in space at the same time? That would work, right?

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • That makes to facts that Arceus disobeys: the basic canon of the Pokemon universe, and the fact that C makes the sss sound in front of E, I and Y, but only Y when it makes its vowel sound.

Um could you explain this better please?

What if they both hatched from eggs in space at the same time? That would work, right?

I suppose that *could* work, though I find it highly unlikely. Arceus = Zeus (god) Mew = Hercules (demigod). Could Mew be Arceus's son/daughter?

Though the scientists say they found Mew in the forest a long time ago, were there other pokemon during this time? How did they find that he was first pokemon? Besides the fact that mew can transform, so can ditto. I know the theory about ditto being a failed mew experiment, but why is ditto before mew then?

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • The myth doesn't say that Arceus created all pokemon or atleast some where not directly created by it.
    I do believe that Mew was created after the universe was formed. From there Mew probably created the rest of the pokemon. One thing that I should note is that we still haven't seen how Mew does this. Does it suddenly make a small spark appear and makes the egg? Does he have to be transformed into that species to make the desired offspring of a certain species? I don't think that pokemon like the weather trio or the tao trio are Mew's decendants. One aspect I haven't touched yet about Arceus is his ability to change type using plates. His life force are the 17 plates. He must have used this energy to bring forth the elements to the universe. I believe that after the formation of Space and Time and Spirit there was a big unleash of energy of all types used to create the matter in the universe. I think that remanats of these energies were responsible for the creation of Mew and the Tao Dragon and maybe others.

So the plates are the Arceus's life force that help create the legendary's and mew, which in turn created the rest of the pokemon?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Where did you hear that Mew was the first Pokemon? I don't think there's any official canon sources that actually say that.

It's probably due to some of its Pokedex entries:

"Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques."
    "Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon."
    "Because it is able to use every move, there are many scientists who believe that it is the ancestor of all Pokémon."
    "A Mew is said to possess the genes of all Pokémon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people."
    "Because it can learn any move, some people began research to see if it is the ancestor of all Pokémon."
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew#Pok.C3.A9dex_entries

These make it sound like Game Freak is implying that Mew is the first Pokémon or the ancestor of all Pokémon. Is it true? ♥♥♥♥ if I know.

Years
  • Arceus actually is inspired by the ancient alchemic philosophy The Archaeus. I was looking at alchemy theories because they seemed interesting at the time, and there are a lot of similarities between Arceus's story and the philosophy. It even has similarities with Arceus creating the 3 sprites (Uxie and the other two.) Check it out sometime. I think I actually have a thread buried here somewhere where I mentioned it like 2 years ago.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I typed a pretty long explanation, but accidentally clicked outside of the text box and hit the delete button, changing my browser page and deleting all of what I had typed... so here's a summary of what I had written:

Arceus created the nature Pokemon (Dialga, Palkia, Kyogre, the cover legendaries), but had no Pokemon to inhabit its universe that wasn't one of a kind. Arceus then created Mew, containing a huge amount of DNA (maybe with a bit of DNA from the other legends, but probably not), to inhabit this universe. Arceus basically got bored with the lack of diversity and split Mew's DNA into all of the varieties of Pokemon that exist now, leaving just one (or however many) mew to stay as representative of the Pokemon origin.

It could also be that Mew represents the original molecular life on planet Earth that, over the course of millions of years, became the varied population that we have today.

It depends, really, on how long the Pokemon world existed. At least several million, according to the fossil Pokemon, but I'd say that for a realistically diverse Pokemon world, it would probably have taken several hundred million years for Mew to diversify into what we have today.

meow

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • From what I understood, Arceus was only really part of the Sinnoh creation story, not the entire world's creation story, but I think that may be irrelevant. Mew only has all the DNA of all Pokemon, it doesn't mean for sure that all Pokemon came from it. Arceus could have easily given Mew all those building blocks so that Pokemon could exist. Alternatively, Mew could have existed before anything else and actually given birth to Arceus. It's a chicken vs the egg problem, and I don't think we can ever say for sure which of them came first.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • Since Arceus is the pokemon god he created mew first then the rest. Mew is the ancestor of pokemon because he was the first created by Arceus. This is not told in the Sinnoh region due to the legend was created before mew was discovered. The regions are not exactly connected when they were first inhabited. Legend's from each region are different. People explored different regions and settled down. Much like the Europeans and the America's before Columbus.

I think your right with this, I think the same way about it.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Mew is the first of the proper species of Pokemon, then there's Arceus. Arceus is on a whole other level than Mew, as it is god. Truth be told, there's no definitive answer to this theory, but Arceus = God, Mew = Paved the way for all Pokemon. At least, in most points of view. Game Freak sorta implies it, I guess we should follow. This is one of the theories that'll never get a proper answer.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • What if we used Greek mythology? Arceus represents chaos. Mew is that Titan that created humans (and in this case pokemon and humans), Groudon represents Geah, and so on.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • We all know that the whole Arceus creation story is explicitly stated in canon to be a myth, right?

This. Very much this. Like real-world myths, there's an element of truth to it, but it's been overwhelmed by embellishments created by the oral tradition.

Yes, Arceus is an incredibly powerful pokémon (evidenced by its base stats), and it has limited life-creating abilities (evidenced by the Sinjoh Ruins event in HG/SS), but there's no solid evidence that it created the entire world. XD

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
    Years
  • My theory is that Arceus was originally a human who created all of the Pokemon, and he created Mew first. Then he used the same machine that he used to create the Pokemon to turn himself into one.

And the fact that C makes the sss sound in front of E, I and Y, but only Y when it makes its vowel sound.

And about that madness, I was just saying that Arceus disobeyed basic spelling rules.

Also, I was being a troll ;)

Back