• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Old May versus new May

Old May or New May?

• Original

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • New Version

Votes: 56 39.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Both

Votes: 27 18.9%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Is it just me, or am I the only one who has always hated the design of the original RSE May, but absolutely love the new ORAS design? I don't know, I'd love to hear opinions.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I kinda like them both.

She has a new design? I didn't even notice a difference. She looks the same to me :P

It is a small difference, but there is one. Side by side picture comparison:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    It isn't that I didn't like her old design, but looking at it now the new one's so much cuter than the original. I like her a lot better without the gloves, and with the trendier bandana. I'm so excited to play through the game as her~

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • The art style is better with the new one, but design-wise, I much prefer her old one. The front-tie bandana and the added frills kinda detract from her sporty look- and of course the redundant shorts-over-shorts thing. I also personally thought the gloves looked cool.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Am I the only one who prefers Sugimori's old art style? At least, when it comes to her face. Dang, no matter how good she looks in the Demo, she still looks awkward in the official art.

Anyway, design wise... I'm more with the minority and say old May looks better. Sure, New May looks cute and all, but I disapprove of the ribbon. Plus, they removed the gloves. >:

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    The art style is better with the new one, but design-wise, I much prefer her old one. The front-tie bandana and the added frills kinda detract from her sporty look- and of course the redundant shorts-over-shorts thing. I also personally thought the gloves looked cool.
    That totally makes sense, I'm not so much of a sporty person myself but I get what you're saying about the added ruffles and more cutesy style they've given her this time around. She's definitely less sporty than before. I honestly like the shorts over shorts more than under a skirt (is that a skirt? i've never really been sure?), though I'm not sure why...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Her old design seems to have more of a better connection to me, in a way, since it was used in anime and whatnot. Back when Advanced series was still around, May used to be one of my favorite characters, and being able to play as her in-game exactly sort of added to the touch, if you know what I mean.

Though, I'm definitely fond of her new outfit; definitely an improvement over old. If you ask me, it's very modern and stylish. Hoenn is a tropical region, and is meant to be hot in most of its towns, routes, and cities; wearing light clothing like she's doing in ORAS does make sense, in a way. Only thing I dislike, though, is lack of gloves. In her older design, she had them, and they were actually pretty cool-looking!

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I like both designs, but much prefer May's new design. Since Hoenn is a tropical region, it would make sense if characters worn something light. Plus, I love the cute ribbon on new May's head. x) It's a shame that they removed the gloves, but it's nothing worth grieving over. :P

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I like both designs, but much prefer May's new design. Since Hoenn is a tropical region, it would make sense if characters worn something light. Plus, I love the cute ribbon on new May's head. x) It's a shame that they removed the gloves, but it's nothing worth grieving over. :P

Actually- the ribbon is another point of her new design that I'm none too fond of.

Whenever I see a front-tie knot like that- I just think of this:

Unless you've of a Bohemian lifestyle or doing housework- it just seems out of place.

Years
  • Old May- gotta show love for that collared shirt (and those gloves). The only thing I really like about New May is the shorts. I really wish they didn't add those frills. Still, I have so much love for May in general, and can't wait to play as her.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Old May, for sure. Not that the new design is bad, I like it too, but the old is just better. Of course, it's just my opinion.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    They're pretty equal, but I definitely prefer new May's outfit, so my vote goes to her. I kinda wish they would've given her a new hair color like they did for Crystal though ~_~

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I love all the new designs so far! May was always my favorite of the PCs, so I'm glad she got such a nice re-design. In my opinion, the artists didn't really even do much, they just made it bolder and more flashy, and updated it to the new art style.

To be honest, I always thought the RSE old character art looked lifeless and awful, like the artists were having a bad day or something. Especially the villains.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • I never really cared for May's original design, her hair has always bothered me, but I've gotta say, I far prefer it over her new look.

The front tie bow just looks silly imo.

Back