• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Old May versus new May

Old May or New May?

• Original

Votes: 57 39.9%
  • New Version

Votes: 56 39.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Both

Votes: 27 18.9%

• Total voters

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
  • I hate her new design. I just can't connect with girly-girl protagonists and I want to be able to connect with my player character. Give her the hat back, take away the frills, put her shirt a little higher up because she's what, ten or twelve, and I might like her. Maybe I'm just old fashioned on the shirt part, but I hate it when preteen characters wear low cut, form fitting or really revealing outfits. I know the undershirt is there, but May's new shirt is still a little too revealing to me.

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I've always loved the old May. She was very cute and adventurous. The new May looks too much like a prostitute, in my opinion. Such a downgrade, if you ask me.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Older May wins for me. I'm a fan of both designs, but the older version is more iconic and gives a tougher, tomboyish vibe to May which I'm a big fan of. New design is cute and all, but it just doesn't seem right for May imo. I guess it was kinda inevitable since as the generations progress the female character designs have grown from a tomboyish, sporty vibe to a more cutesy kind.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I prefer old May's design. Her outfit looks cooler. New May and new Brendan look more tropical which makes more sense but I just think their old outfits were cooler overall.

However it isn't to say that I dislike Ken Sugimori's new art style. The new trainer class art looks great. Especially the Battle Girl.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2018
    I'm gonna say that I love the old design so much better. Sure, the new design is fantastic, but it is no where near as good as the old one. The big reason May was my favourite Poke-girl in the first place was because of her Tom-boyish look, the sporty look. I liked her old bandana and gloves, now those are gone and she wears a girly bow. Plus, they made her really frilly which just kills the sporty look.
    They are both great designs on their own, but the old design fits the May that I came to know and love, the new one just takes away from that.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I prefer her older design. She looks more adventure ready.

The newer design doesn't look like somebody who'd be trekking through all kinds of terrain. Granted Serena is pretty much in the same boat design wise.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I always liked the original May. She was so badass looking with that bandanna and the gloves. The new May is still alright with me, but now she looks so cutesy and just idk not as cool. Makes me sad :(

Years
  • Although the new one's grown on me a lot, and I do like her top and the white shorts, I honestly prefer the original May due to design (I prefer her bandana, hair, face, gloves and I just think her whole outfit works really well together) as well as nostalgia; she was the first female character I ever got to play as my actual gender so her design's just a lot more familiar and "May-like" to me :)

TheGinger63

PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • I admit i was disappointed in the new Mays design originally. It has kinda grown on me. But honestly i was hoping for the blue variation of Sapphires outfit. And i was bummed they didnt include AT LEAST a customization for that one. Oh wellllllll. Overall new May is growing on me

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • I like the new design, except for that weird bow. Don't get me wrong, it makes her look adorable, but for me May without the bandana just doesn't look like May at all. So, as a standalone design ORAS May looks better, but best May is still R/S May to me.

Years
  • WHAT ABOUT EMERALD MAY?!
    Spoiler:

I wish they would have stuck with the sporty look since this may looks kind of.... fragile? Like, it seems like she's about to go to a nice place, not go into the wilderness to capture little creatures that could probably beat her up. I wish they would at least kept her gloves.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Design wise I'm fine with either, but I like the ponytail the new ORAS design has and I wish the original had that too.

Still the original May is too classic, being one of the most memorable and popular characters in the anime for years. Although I guess for people who don't watch the anime that wouldn't matter.

SapphireMillennium

The Legend of Hoenn
    Years
  • I voted "both".

I always loved May because of how professional looking and cute her design was (for both R/S and E).

I like the girly flair they've given her new design. I don't really like any of her designs better than the others. They're all great.

Though that may change once I actually get the game. xD

Years
  • In thinking about it, I like May's new look considerably more than in RS. But I prefer her Emerald design to either one, personally. That pose in her Sugimori art has her looking more lively than either of the RS designs of hers.

Back