• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Building Competition - Summer Send-Off

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Team Building Competition - Summer Send-Off

Hi PC! This event is a simple spin-off of the original Team Building Competition. The twist is that every team must contain at least 2 Fire-type Pokemon. There is no required core either. All teams will be included in a Random Battle format, which will premiere on the upcoming Community Day (September 5th, more details soon).

To participate, post an importable of one team and preferably include descriptions and images. Everyone has until August 31st at 11:59 p.m. ET to submit a team. Afterwards everyone will be given three days to comment on their favorite teams, make suggestions on how they could be better, etc. Judges will take those posts into account when voting for the best team. The judges for this event are Detox, Hermione Granger, and myself.

The format is Smogon's Gen 6 OU.

— Guidelines

None of this is required, only recommended.

• Post your team as an importable. You can copy this from Pokemon Showdown's teambuilder.
    • Put images for each Pokemon (1 2).
    • Define what the team's goal is (e.g. what Pokemon are the win conditions and how are they supported). Describe what each Pokemon's role is.
    • Only one team will be accepted for this event, but you may private message me more teams if you want them included in the Random Battle format.
    • The rubrics for deciding the best team are primarily: viability (Is the team good?), creativity (Does it stray from standard builds?), and synergy (Is there evidence of thoughtful team building?).
    • Remember that this is for fun, so don't be a jerk when making suggestions for other teams. It's a competition, yes, but we are also striving for a sort of collective construction of team-building knowledge.

— Sample Submissions

Check this thread out.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

This is probably a pretty generic team with common threats outside of the Victini and Manectric choices. However I really like the synergy that this team has together and have been impressed with my success so far. I basically just picked a fire Pokemon for this format, in this case Victini, and started building around it.

The Team:

landorus-therian.gif

Christos-Therian (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock

I typically go with offensive Landorus but I've been using the tanky version a lot more recently and just like it so much more. With it's already high defense on top of Intimidate pressure, this is a great Pokemon for dealing with pretty much any physical attacker bar like Weavile. It's pretty much guaranteed to get up rocks and U-turn out setting up good momentum for the rest of my team. It's also my most effective way of dealing with Mega Zard X. I don't like the Rocky Helmet variant much so went with lefties.

keldeo-resolute.gif

Christos-Resolute (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Icy Wind
    - Hydro Pump
    - Scald
    - Secret Sword

When building this team I really wanted a good FWG core and Keldeo seemed like a really strong option. It deals with threats to my team really well, especially Bisharp who is always scary vs a team with multiple Intimidates like mine. Specs Keldeo is just so good.

heatran.gif

Christos-Senpai (Heatran) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 60 SpD / 200 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Substitute
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic

I went for a more unique EV spread here on Heatran. It's already bulky enough naturally so I wanted to invest a little in speed. I have just enough to outspeed Jolly Bisharp, while not really important, is a good measuring stick of how speedy I am. I might opt for Taunt over Toxic but at least Toxic gives me a way to hit Talon, Zard, etc.
    manectric-mega.gif

Mega Christos (Manectric) @ Manectite
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

This is really the only set that's viable on this Pokemon. However, Manectric fits really well on this team due to being able to Volt Switch out and setting up good momentum for my Choice users and Serperior. It's pretty weak but Electric/Fire/Ice is such good coverage.

victini.gif

Victory Christos (Victini) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - V-create
    - U-turn
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Bolt Strike

I had Scarftini but the extra power that Choice Band provides is just too good to pass up. V-create hits nearly everything hard, even if resisted. It has really good coverage otherwise as well. It does force a switch though when using V-Create so I have to use it carefully.
    serperior.gif

Contrary Christos (Serperior) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Contrary
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Glare
    - Dragon Pulse

A bit different than most Serperiors. I didn't opt for HP Fire as I have plenty of other ways when it comes to dealing with Scizor and Ferrothorn. HP Rock is actually really good, albeit situational, but in this format it fits! With Charizard, mostly Y, being a really big threat to my team, this is a really effective way to hit it on the switch or just outright KO it after SR damage or a Leaf Storm boost. It's also an effective way to KO Talonflame, who would be a big threat in this format, on the switch. Glare is just a safe move to use at any time when you know a switch is coming and really gives you a way to deal with Tornady T.

Anyways yeah, just a pretty standard team for the most part with a Voltturn aspect. Has a really strong core and handles the majority of the threats well.

Importable:
    Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    chase why the fuck are all your pokes named after christos

I just wanted to say that. I'll post whatever garbage team I think up later

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Let's go.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'll post whatever garbage team I think up later
    And here is said team:

Spoiler:

srinator

i just threw some shit together but yh hf
    Spoiler:

Etherion

Team #SummerBlast
    keldeo.gif
    hoopa-unbound.gif
    klinklang.gif
    talonflame.gif
    ninetales.gif
    latios-mega.gif

keldeo.gif

Keldeo
    @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Scald
    - Secret Sword
    - Hidden Power [Electric]
    All around good Pokemon, with its high SpA and Speed
    hoopa-unbound.gif

Hoopa Unbound
    @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Hyperspace Fury
    - Fire Punch
    - Trick
    - Gunk Shot
    Good stall breaker with its high Attack stat
    klinklang.gif

Klinklang
    @ Occa Berry
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 16 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Gear Grind
    - Shift Gear
    - Thunder Wave
    - Wild Charge
    Getting one Gear Shift out makes this thing a beast with Clear Body backing it up,
    talonflame.gif

Talonflame
    @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Steel Wing
    Revenge killer, for gaining momentum
    ninetales.gif

Ninetales
    @ Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Fire Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Will-O-Wisp
    Fire-type attack immunity powerful SpA boosted by Nasty Plot
    latios-mega.gif

Latios
    @ Latiosite
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 12 SpA / 244 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    For mixed attacking

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    mega houndoom

I'm not a fan of two scarves in one team, your team is pretty fast and you also have Gale Wings Talonflame. Consider Choice Specs on Keldeo, even though the extra speed can be nice, I don't think your team needs it and spamming Scald deals a lot of damage. I also don't like the fact that you have three choice locked Pokémon. Perhaps Talonflame could have another item, maybe Sharp Beak, though it depends on what you need it for, I guess. Good luck! :)

Sirfetch’d

Also just wanted to suggest that you could consider running something like Ninetales to get instant sun up since Houndoom is so frail and getting up a Sunny Day and a Nasty Plot boost is going to be really tough. You could also consider something with Prankster to get the sun up instantly as well.

Etherion

I'm not a fan of two scarves in one team, your team is pretty fast and you also have Gale Wings Talonflame. Consider Choice Specs on Keldeo, even though the extra speed can be nice, I don't think your team needs it and spamming Scald deals a lot of damage. I also don't like the fact that you have three choice locked Pokémon. Perhaps Talonflame could have another item, maybe Sharp Beak, though it depends on what you need it for, I guess. Good luck! :)
    Also just wanted to suggest that you could consider running something like Ninetales to get instant sun up since Houndoom is so frail and getting up a Sunny Day and a Nasty Plot boost is going to be really tough. You could also consider something with Prankster to get the sun up instantly as well.
    Just things about your team.
    The EV Spread in Latios isn't really good, Latios is meant to hit pretty hard, and with that bulky spread you're kinda killing Latios strong points, since it's not really bulky.
    I really think that you should run Specs Keldeo, it's a really good breaker. You could say that Hoopa would do that trick but, it's not Life Orb, and it's pretty much a must run for a wallbreaker to be honest.
    CB Talon is going to kill himself most of the time, I don't really like that set and I find SD a lot better, it hits really hard too, and you can use Roost as well, so you have a Pokemon that's not going to die after 3 Attacks.
    I think that's all I have for now.

Thanks for the comments guys :3 I edited the team to you recommendations :)

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Submission deadline has been delayed to August 31st at 11:59 p.m. ET. Community Day won't be as early as expected, so no need to rush this.

srinator

Thanks for the comments guys :3 I edited the team to you recommendations :)

the point of ninetails was to get sun up and make it easier for houndoom to sweep lol, i think who ever suggested it meant it over talon

LegendaryGaming

Gaming, Elevated.....
    Years
  • My team:
    Spoiler:

Remember, this team is meant to be creative and break away from using mainstream mons.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Spoiler:

Just some feedback.

What is the point in Trick on Life Orb Hoopa? Just to Trick it to walls to actually help them nail you back and then make yourself weak and as thus not even a breaker anymore? Id sooner use Drain Punch for psuedo Healing and hitting things like Tar, its secondary Psychic STAB or even Knock Off. If you insist on using Trick, use a Choice Band to properly cripple walls.

Ninetales is actual aids and offers nothing other fire types dont already do, basically its outclassed and Stealth Rock weak aka wastes a slot, another fire type is so much better here. Namely Heatran who also brings Stealth Rock, which you currently lack. Every serious team needs rocks.

Lati@s-mega is meh and a worse Salamence as far as Dragon Dancing goes and Salamence sucks this gen. I feel you need Defog on it or Talon is essentially totally useless because of Stealth Rock. In addition Spikes stacking teams may cause issues otherwise too. Roost on it too imo too because it checks alot of threats to your team.

Steel Wing sucks on Talon. It hits nothing at all relevant. Roost is by far superior.

Sub is better than T-Wave on Klingklang so you can set up easier but there are better steel types. Maybe this slot could be better utilized as a Mega as you could get away with non Mega Latias defogging.

EDIT:

Spoiler:

Firstly creativity doesnt somehow magically make your opponent go "WOMG WTF SO UNIQUE IDK WHAT IM DOING" without said pokemone actually having a useful niche that no other pokemon can do. Secondly, there is really no point in using gimmicky outclassed pokemon and sets just to be unique, you are basically handicapping yourself needlessly.

Anyway onto the team. It cannot switch into anything relevant apart from foe Rotom-W. It lacks resistances and has too many compound weaknesses.

Foe Heatran basically slaughter you, 2hking everything on your team in the sun. Rotom-W is your only answer who literally cannot do anything to it in the sunlight and cannot heal and is also 2hko'd in the sun.

Stealth Rock cripples 1/2 of your team and you have no way to remove it.

Jumpluff has 0 coverage and is set up fodder for most of ou thanks to said downfalls. In addition it also has poor attacking stats.

Meganium is outclassed totally as a cleric by things like Celebi and even Roserade. But honestly i see a grass type in this slot as a hindrance because it just stacks weaknesses, same with Jumpluff.

Rotom-W wants either Rest and Chesto Berry or Pain Split and Leftovers so it can actually heal over Foul Play.

Sorry if this seemed harsh but stacked weaknesses, redundant outclassed pokemon and well basically everything up there i said
    does not a solid team make.

Last edited:

srinator

that sounds like a nice lure, but it seems kinda wasted since its extremely a one time shot thing, would rather use something like roost/wisp or uturn, it also has a very low chance of netting an ohko on diancie js.

Years
  • Behold everyone!
    The Team India Batting Legends!
    Spoiler:

So this is the team.Will put more in detail some time later as soon as I get time.
    Can't seem to decide on heatrans EV's.Suggestions required.
    Also sorry zeffy!Couldnt nickname the mons as hamsters!The hamsters all got angry on me as I started to give their names to the mons!

Last edited:
    Back