• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Solgaleo typing explained: alchemy theme?

deathpool

Hopeless Cole Stan
    Years
    Poketuber Dookieshed uploaded a theory on why Solgaleo, the supposed Sun pokemon, is weak to fire.

https://youtu.be/1sI0Fl8wR68
    (skip to 1:08)

tl;dr is basically Solgaleo has strong ties to alchemy. Nuclear Fusion in the sun creates byproducts such as iron, explaining the steel type and meaning that Solgaleo is a byproduct of the sun and not a direct representation of it. In alchemy, there is a common symbol of a green lion eating the sun, which is why Solgaleo's bio on the Pokemon website describes him as devouring the sun.

This green lion supposedly represents some kind of sulfuric acid that can turn anything into gold, represented by the Sun.
    It's really explained better in the video, tbh. watch it.

However, I thought this theme of alchemy was very interesting. A lot of people also say that Litten has the alchemical symbol for sulfur on his forehead.

I think this should confirm a Dark typing for Litten's evolutions, as Dark typing is literally the "Evil Type" in Japan. Another theory I saw that's quite farfetch'd in my opinion, is that Rowlet's physical shape is based of the Alchemical symbol for Salt while Popplio is Mercury.

So what are your thoughts on a theoretical Alchemy theme for Sun and Moon? I am quite excited myself, being an FMA fan and all that. Maybe those crystals in the Japanese logos are philospher's stones? Maybe the evil team will try to create these ultra mega stones that double as philosophers stones? Or maybe the evil team will search for gold and immortality (common alchemical themes). Does anyone have any ideas as to how Lunala fits into this? I can't find any legends or myths about moon-bats. Speculate down below

Last edited:
    Years
    Good well-thought post here, although I already picked up on that alchemy icon theme for the starters. I heard the sulfur symbol has ties to Satan and Litten is known not to show emotion, and Dark is called Evil type in Japan so I can easily why Litten would evolve into a Dark-type.

I did however, hear about the green lion basis for Solgaleo when I was discussing in other threads before this one.

deathpool

Hopeless Cole Stan
    Years
    Good well-thought post here, although I already picked up on that alchemy icon theme for the starters. I heard the sulfur symbol has ties to Satan and Litten is known not to show emotion, and Dark is called Evil type in Japan so I can easily why Litten would evolve into a Dark-type.

I did however, hear about the green lion basis for Solgaleo when I was discussing in other threads before this one.

I saw some similar speculation under the thread for the legendaries, I guess I made this thread specifically for the theme of alchemy

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    GameXplain has covered a Pokémon theory on the alchemy theme.

We'll see if it holds up once the evil team is revealed.

blue

gucci
    Years
    All the signs are pointing there, so I definitely think we'll see a progressing theme come to light surrounding Alchemy. As you've already said we can see how the three starters and one of the main legendaries ties into it already. Alchemy would definitely make for an interesting storyline!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Meanwhile the Moon is associated with Silver.

One of my first ideas of the crystals was that they're philosopher stone, well imperfect ones.

Tied to Alchemy is the greek idea of the Hermaphrodite representing the perfect being. The meeting of opposites in one being. I've noted many times that Megas lose their sex differences, even the Latis took very similar as Megas compared to before. To tie this with Alchemy the Sun and the Moon together represent change irc, huh Rayquaza itself represented that. Interestingly while Gold is Sun, and Silver is Moon, Platinum is Sun-Moon. So the theme ties nicely with our recent games.
    Metals- GSPt
    Opposites are Gen V.
    Change- OrAs and the Delta Episode.
    Also Magearna in the movie has something called SoulHeart, do those words ring a bell?

Years
    Like Blue said, alchemy is definitely likely to be behind the storyline and general theme of these games since it's already been pointed out with the starters resembling alchemic symbols and the legendaries being based off of legends present in alchemy, such as Solgaleo's basis on the green lion that devours the sun.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Very interesting. I could definatly see this working out, although it is a bit of a stretch IMO.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I realized that Magearna's body contains the symbols of the 'Three primes'. It's top is Mercury which represents 'Spirit (or Heart)', it's middle is a sideways salt which means 'body', and the bottom means is Sulfur which stands for 'soul'. That explains it's ability of Soulheart.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    A lot of what is in those videos was done earlier by me in this Daily article. :< https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2016/06/06/what-are-solgaleo-and-lunala-based-on/

Nitpick:
    Nuclear Fusion in the sun creates byproducts such as iron, explaining the steel type and meaning that Solgaleo is a byproduct of the sun and not a direct representation of it.
    Nuclear fusion does create heavily elements up to iron, but you only really see this in very massive stars particularly close to their death (or the supernova event). Our sun will never reach such a stage. (Besides, nuclear fusion isn't limited to metals). Really the alchemy relation is the sole thing.

I think alchemy is a decent chance to feature in the plot - that or preservation/endangered species/etc. Expect an article on the latter soon as well.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Pretty sure Solgaleo's Steel typing is its "tin hat" to protect against Lunala's Illuminati eye.

I'm not sure how much alchemy can really be incorporated into the plot of these games, but it's interesting that there seems to be a sort of theme emerging. My only confusion regarding it would be, why is only one starter connected to this supposed major theme (Litten and its head markings)? Wouldn't it be more sensible for all starters to be related to this theme is a way other than just pure typing? And then it makes me wonder, does Lunala have any ties to this theme at all? It's because of these questions that I doubt any connections to the plot as of now, but alchemy being a potential inspiration element for Solgaleo I can certainly see.

Back