Fan Fiction and Writing Have a story you want to share? Or in the mood to sit back and read one, instead? Then come hang out here!

Old September 5th, 2016 (9:48 AM). Edited September 5th, 2016 by Bay.
Darkinium Z

Nature: Sassy
PokéCommunity Big Bang 2016
Fanfiction & Writing and Art & Design Collaboration

The event and its purpose

Hello, and welcome to a joint event collaboration between the Fanfiction and Writing and Art and Design sections , the PokeCommunity Big Bang!

If you don’t know what a Big Bang is, it’s an event in various sites, like Tumblr and Livejournal/Dreamwidth, where writers and artists collaborated together on a project. Usually the norm would be over 10,000 words and several art pieces, but because this is the first time we’re doing this we’ll be doing this low key. The purpose of this challenge is to bring the writers and artists of PokeCommunity together and have them work one another to create fantastic Pokemon fanworks!

To get an example of how this works, check out this Pokemon Big Bang from Dreamwidth a few years go.

What are the requirements and sign up for writer?

For writers, the requirement is a new piece of Pokémon work that is over 3,000 words minimum and fits with this event’s theme. You can go over the word limit if the story calls for it and chaptered, but do keep in mind this is supposed to be a shorter challenge compared to other Big Bangs. Near the end of the challenge, you are to post your story in a separate thread in the Fanfiction and Writing section.

To sign up, post in the Fanfiction and Writing’s version of this thread and the following info:

Username
What will your story will be about (optional)

What are the requirements and sign up for artists?

For artists, graphic or traditional/digital artists are welcome. For traditional/digital artists, you are required to do at least two art pieces. Doesn’t necessary have to be fully colored, but at least a full sketch. For graphic artists, at least two graphic edits. Near the end of the challenge, you can post your art in your art gallery thread if you have one already.

To sign up, post in the Art and Design’s version of this thread and the following info:

Username
Graphic, Traditional, or Digital
Any particular preferences you’re willing to work/not work (characters, ships, specific games, etc)

Theme?

Some Big Bangs have a theme, and for this event we got one. In celebration for the upcoming Pokémon Sun and Moon games, the theme will be...

An Island Adventure!.

How you interpret this is up to you.

How is the overall sign up, claiming, turning in stories/art will work?

Sign ups start for both artists and writer on September 5th and ends on October 16th. When sign up ends, writers are to PM the mods Bay Alexison, Fairy, and Nina their partial rough drafts (stories need to be at least 70 percent/ more than halfway done) and summaries of their stories. The art mods will then post the summaries of those stories and artists will respond with their top three choices. From there on, artists and writers will be matched and start collaborating with one another.

Final drafts for both parties are due late November, in that case more information on how to turn your work in and posting will be provided the closer we hit the deadline.

Can I sign up as both an artist and writer?

If you’re a writer and want to do art also, you can as long as it’s someone else’s story and not yours. With artists, if you want to write also then that’s fine but you’ll have to do art for another story. As mentioned, the purpose of this event is the collaboration between the writers and artists.

Do keep in mind though if you’re signing up for both you might have your hands fool and probably burn out, especially with this event running when many folks in the forums are getting back in school/jobs/etc , and the upcoming holidays. So yeah, do prepare double the responsibility if you want to do both.

What if I can’t make to the deadline?

We’re aware that real life happens, so if that’s the case let the mods know as soon as possible and we’ll do our best to accommodate you with an alternative extension/deadline. If under dire circumstances you need to drop out, do let us know too so we can do proper arrangements.

My artist dropped out. What happens now?

If you’re the author and your artist dropped, let us know as soon as possible and we’ll see about assigning you a pinch hitter. Pinch hitters are reserved artists who will take the place of the original artist if they are unable to finish. For pinch hitters, there will be signs ups soon (more info below).

Worse case scenario you are allowed to post your story without the accompanying art, but we’ll do our best to prevent that from happening.

My author dropped out. What happens now?

Unlike artists, there will be no pinch hitters for authors. Writers are required to submit a rough draft that’s close to finished before the artist claims takes place. The schedule below is meant to prevent that from happening, but there is a chance it will happen.

If you’re the artist finding yourself in this situation, you may choose to post your work without the accompanying story or drop out as well.

Speaking of pinch hitters…

If you’re an artist and missed the first phase of the sign ups, you’re in luck. While missing the first phase of the sign ups will lock you out for first claims mid October, there will be sign ups for pinch hitters so you’ll still get a chance to do some art for a story. We’ll have a list of the initial artists and the pinch hitters, and those initial artists that dropped out we’ll contact the pinch hitters to see who is available first to take over.

I’m a writer and I need a beta/someone to look over my work. Where can I find one?

(Beta list link here)

PokeCommunity’s Fanfic Section used to have a beta service, but it’s no longer in use. However, for the purpose of this challenge we’ll have a list of the available betas and a separate sign up for that in the Fanfiction and Writing section very soon.

Schedule?

9/5/16- Sign ups for both artists and writers begin
10/16/16- Sign ups for both artists and writers closed. Partial rough drafts due.
10/17/16- Summaries of stories will be posted in the Art and Design section. Claiming begins
10/24/16- Claiming of summaries end. Artists and writers will be informed of their matchups within a few days or sooner. We’ll also have sign-ups for pinch-hitters soon.
11/20/16- Final drafts and art due.
11/21/16 towards 11/28/16- Posting period

This is the initial schedule, though it is subject to change.

More questions?

If you any other concerns, ask away in this thread

(css layout by Achromatic)

"Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
Old September 5th, 2016 (6:53 PM).
Am I more than you bargained for yet?

Nature: Impish
    Ooh, dang, I have absolutely no ideas for that theme, but I'm sure I'll be able to think of something. I'm in!

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dædric Design
    Old September 6th, 2016 (1:47 AM). Edited October 1st, 2016 by Aisu.

Nature: Adamant
      Username Aisu
      What will your story will be about (optional) An old village's ritual's monotony is broken by a particularly grouchy spirit
      Old September 7th, 2016 (10:46 AM).
      Peace & Goodwill

Nature: Quiet
      Heyyy quick question. If I were to do some sort of choose-your-own-adventure type thing would it be okay if I use inklewriter?
      Old September 7th, 2016 (4:31 PM).
      Darkinium Z

Quote:
      Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
      Heyyy quick question. If I were to do some sort of choose-your-own-adventure type thing would it be okay if I use inklewriter?
      Oh, a choose your own adventure story would be fun. Because of the nature of this type of story, I'll allow you to link your adventure story here if you decide to use that site. Usually this type of thing might be better suited for maybe Game Development, but because you'll be using that story for the Big Bang and I'm assuming this won't be like a full blown visual novel I think this should be fine. With that out of the way, do make sure all of the material is at least 3,000 words.

Old September 8th, 2016 (7:10 AM).
      The darkness has just begin...

Nature: Quiet
      Username : PercyX
      Story plot : N ( Black series) gets lost and finds himself stuck at a deserted Island ...
      He is frustrated and confused and doesnt know anything , and with a sudden gust he finds himself being followed by a shadow ...
      What would happen to him ?

POKECOMMUNITY'S DREAM WORLDPERCYX
      Old September 10th, 2016 (2:26 PM). Edited September 28th, 2016 by Raichu.

Nature: Naive
      Fun!

Username: adventure
      Story: i don't know yet. Will update this post when I've got a plan!
      Old September 10th, 2016 (2:55 PM). Edited September 10th, 2016 by YellowSwagMaster420.

Nature: Docile
        Username: TrashyVerse

Story Title: Hoenn.

Summary: After the attack on Lumiose Steven and Alain spend some time in Hoenn, just the two of them. Alain knew that if the attack never happened, if Lysandre never faked his death, he wouldn't have ever been able to come back here. But instead of remorse, he feels something else. Can Steven help him get past that?

Pairings: Steven/Alain, Mentions of Past-Lysandre/Augustine Sycamore, Augustine/Meyer (mentions)

Note: I always thought of Hoenn as the tropical region before Alola, so I'll be having them spend time on one of Steven's Islands. Since, he is the Elite Four, and the son of the dude who owns the one thing in (forget Steven's dad's name is it just Mr. Stone or President Stone?) I can imagine Steven being filthy rich.

Art: I have an idea for someone who can get me art. But if I can't get it on time it's really no big deal for me. I wouldn't be drawing it, I'd get a commission from this lovely person who I love getting work done for my past works that i have posted here

http://skydrew.deviantart.com/

If that's alright with you all? They'd be totally credited of course, like they've always been. This also takes place in my Poke-Crossed Series. Alain & Steven are an established couple, Ash has been crowned champion of my AU, Meyer & Augustine are a couple, and after the attack on Lumiose (Team Flare Arc in XYZ pretty much which I'm writing about and have Part 1 posted on this site) everyone's just kinda like 'now what?'. Feel free to check out my drabbles & oneshots if you want to.
        Old September 10th, 2016 (7:53 PM).
        Darkinium Z

Quote:
        Originally Posted by TrashyVerse View Post

Art: I have an idea for someone who can get me art. But if I can't get it on time it's really no big deal for me. I wouldn't be drawing it, I'd get a commission from this lovely person who I love getting work done for my past works that i have posted here

http://skydrew.deviantart.com/

If that's alright with you all? They'd be totally credited of course, like they've always been. This also takes place in my Poke-Crossed Series. Alain & Steven are an established couple, Ash has been crowned champion of my AU, Meyer & Augustine are a couple, and after the attack on Lumiose (Team Flare Arc in XYZ pretty much which I'm writing about and have Part 1 posted on this site) everyone's just kinda like 'now what?'. Feel free to check out my drabbles & oneshots if you want to.
        Well the purpose of this Big Bang is to have PokeCommunity writers and artists to join and work together, so I highly prefer if they join the forums and sign up for the Big Bang themselves. If they aren't willing to join the forums or they can't be able to work with you the art mods will still put your story up for claims if you manage to turn in a large portion of your rough draft before the due date. Hope this answers your concern.

Old September 10th, 2016 (8:00 PM).

Nature: Docile
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
          Well the purpose of this Big Bang is to have PokeCommunity writers and artists to join and work together, so I highly prefer if they join the forums and sign up for the Big Bang themselves. If they aren't willing to join the forums or they can't be able to work with you the art mods will still put your story up for claims if you manage to turn in a large portion of your rough draft before the due date. Hope this answers your concern.
          Yeah i didn't read that part, I don't mind that. When do I need to post my rough draft?

Edit: Nevermind. I read it. Sorry xD
          Old September 10th, 2016 (8:02 PM).
          Darkinium Z

Quote:
          Originally Posted by TrashyVerse View Post
          Yeah i didn't read that part, I don't mind that. When do I need to post my rough draft?
          When the sign ups closes, so by October 16. You need to turn in your draft to me and the art mods Fairy and Nina through PM, don't post your story just yet.

Old September 30th, 2016 (10:15 AM).

Nature: Naive
          I am pulling out before it closes o: I can't promise I'll have energy to work on this, so I want to avoid disappointing anybody!
          Old October 2nd, 2016 (7:59 AM).
          Darkinium Z

Quote:
          Originally Posted by adventure View Post
          I am pulling out before it closes o: I can't promise I'll have energy to work on this, so I want to avoid disappointing anybody!
          Aw, sorry to hear that. If you change your mind, do let me know. Otherwise, hopefully you'll come to read some of the Big Bang stories once they're posted in late November. =)

While I'm still here, writers you still have about around two weeks, October 16, left until partial drafts (and sign ups if you haven't done so) are due! Reminder when turning in the drafts, you send them to me, Fairy, and Nina through PMs and then we'll go ahead with matching up the artists and writers.

Old October 14th, 2016 (4:28 PM).
          Darkinium Z

Double posting to say the writers that signed up have about two days (Oct. 16) to PM their partial rough drafts to me, Fairy, and Nina! If you want, you guys can PM the partial drafts to us now.

Old October 16th, 2016 (10:27 AM).

Any chance of an extension on this? A week would be nice.

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Old October 16th, 2016 (10:36 AM).
            Darkinium Z

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Negrek View Post
            Any chance of an extension on this? A week would be nice.
            With partial drafts, your story doesn't need to be finished just a bit over halfway done so artists have something to go by. However, we only have one story turned in to us so far. If no one else turns in their drafts and/or the other writers here want an extension, though, then I can discuss with the art mods to do an extension (and also an extra week for artists to sign up).

Old October 16th, 2016 (9:03 PM).
            Darkinium Z

Okay, so after talking with the art mods, we decide to give the writers an extra week until they can turn in their drafts! So yeah, the new due date for the drafts will be October 23rd. Besides only having two stories being sent (thanks Aisu and Bardothren for turning them in) , this gives the art mods the chance to gather more artists to sign up.

With that out of the way, art claims will start after October 23rd instead.

Old October 17th, 2016 (5:07 PM).

Thanks, I'll get to it! And sorry about the delay.

Old October 17th, 2016 (5:58 PM).

Nature: Adamant
                It's like, every time I rush to finish something on time is when the deadline is extended, oh wow
                Old October 17th, 2016 (9:07 PM).
                Darkinium Z

Quote:
                Thanks, I'll get to it! And sorry about the delay.
                Don't worry about it. Looking forward to when you turn yours in.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
                It's like, every time I rush to finish something on time is when the deadline is extended, oh wow
                Haha, sorry. There are a few reasons for the extension. Besides not enough people turning in the drafts, the art mods and I are a bit pre-occupied with other obligations so this should give both us and the participants some breathing room.

Old October 20th, 2016 (9:09 PM).
                It's "I Come Anon"

Better late than never, right? I'm signing up now, and right after I do that I'm going to PM my draft to the mods! Finally settled on an idea just after the extension was granted. :)

Username: icomeanon6

Summary: Katie and Jen have a fun day in the Whirl Islands lined up, but Katie is too distracted to enjoy it. She'll be moving on from her Pokemon journey to real life soon, and she's worried about how her younger, trouble-prone partner will handle being on her own for the first time. On top of that, Katie feels she has only one more shot to do something she's wanted to do since her journey began: see a legendary Pokemon.
                  Kanto: The Disputed Frontier
                  Canceled
                  (Now with MST3K'd chapter 1!)
                  One-Shot Fics
                  Wild Horses in Winter
                  Hubris Island
                  A&D Collab 2016
                  Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It
                  Small Writing Contest
                  2009, 2010, 2011 (1st), 2013 (1st), 2014 (1st), 2016 (2nd), 2017 (1st)
                  Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names
                  Old October 23rd, 2016 (4:41 PM).
                  Darkinium Z

Should have posted this earlier, but for those that haven't so yet, you have a few more hours left until the drafts are due. Reminder the drafts don't need to be finished, so if you want to get your story up for art claims now 's you'r chance!

Old October 24th, 2016 (4:12 PM).
                  Darkinium Z

And draft deadline passed! At this point the art mods and I will get started on a claims post over at the art section, which should be up within a week. For those that signed up but didn't turn in their drafts, you can still continue your story and wait until late November to turn in final drafts, but your story won't be considered for art claims sorry.

Writers, now your chance to edit/finish up your story, and soon you'll be contacted concerning match ups with your artists!

Old October 24th, 2016 (5:12 PM).

You got mine, right? Just asking since I didn't get a confirmation.

Old October 24th, 2016 (5:16 PM).
                    Darkinium Z

Quote:
                    You got mine, right? Just asking since I didn't get a confirmation.
                    Yeah got yours, don't worry. Sorry for not confirming earlier, things have been hectic last night and today and forgot to let you know.

Since I'm here, the confirmed drafts I got:

Bardothren
                    Aisu
                    icomeanon6
                    Negrek

Quick Reply