Advertiser Content
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
208 posts
2.5 Years
Ok guys, we all must have tried different DNS systems from around the net,
But the best one that I found was by the one and only, Shinyquagsire!
A lot of people may not know how to compile C files, Or Basics of HxD.
so I simply made a patch for it.
The original source can be obtained from:
https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/Wizard-DN

NOTE: I have not inserted the battlebg.asm as it has different method of insertion and is very tedious. I may update this thread with a new patch if I get time to hand make all the new pallettes for each and every bg for every time of dns. (So, deal with it).

Space Used:
Spoiler:
RTC.asm
B01000-B013F7
mapfilter C
B02500-B02B8B
npcfilter C
B01500-B01A47

BTW, in the original repo, there's a minor offset correction in MAPFILTER.asm,
where it says
"@Insert over 08083598"
It actually means :
"@Insert over 080598CC"

EDIT:
Keep an eye for turning this post's name red in my signature, cause that's when I'll update the patch ^.^

EDIT:
As patches are not always flexible from space used point of view, I am really wanting to make a nice tutorial for the installation of the same. So might do that in future ;)

EDIT:
This dns system is not compatible with Naventox's pallette hack as reported by multiple people. Apparently there's a fix repo on Github. But for convenience I'll put the fix in update as well :D
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
208 posts
2.5 Years
Are you planning on releasing a patch for the battleBG once you learn how to insert it?
As i said in the tut, deal with it.
Cuz im also learning how to insert it, but yea sure ill update the patch :)
There's gotta be someone to help!!
Btw a small note for everyone, Shinyquagsire deserves all the credit, cuz i realized that my questions were so stupid and irritating...
So sq, a mega huge thanks to u!
;)

Prof. Leon Dias

Let your memes be dreams

Male
A deep underground lab somewhere...
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
94 posts
6.5 Years
Is there a way to undo the patch?
There seems to be an issue with using this and Navenatox's Dynamic OW Palettes engine causing a lot of palette glitches here and there. Simply going into a hex editor and erasing the locations you put and any pointers I could find just made the ROM crash upon loading (thank goodness for backups). Even removing the DOP didn't really solve the issue either, and I have made quite a bit of progress to just restart again.
Check Out My Projects:

& My Ultimate Fire Red Base
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=409672

Discord to join my Wish/Rombase server for updates, questions, and info:
https://discord.gg/N46NeqS
Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
208 posts
2.5 Years
Is there a way to undo the patch?
There seems to be an issue with using this and Navenatox's Dynamic OW Palettes engine causing a lot of palette glitches here and there. Simply going into a hex editor and erasing the locations you put and any pointers I could find just made the ROM crash upon loading (thank goodness for backups). Even removing the DOP didn't really solve the issue either, and I have made quite a bit of progress to just restart again.
Yup, use ips check make a log file then observe the address ranges mentioned in it and just grab a backup rom and restore the old bytes there and you're good to go!

vxo

ROM Hacker

Male
California
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
52 posts
1.7 Years
I'm having a few issues with this DNS Patch. I think it's an interference with the Dynamic Palettes patch, as I've done some testing and it seems to work fine w/o it.

Here are some screenshots to show what I'm talking about:

This one seems to make it so tiles from the main tileset are reset to their default palettes

After moving a bit more, the main tiles will fix but all sprites in view will have their palettes "corrupted".

After going into a battle or building, the palettes are all fixed.

This is as much information I can give, as I don't have much experience dealing with anything complicated.

Delta231

A noob

Male
India
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted May 25th, 2019
688 posts
3.2 Years
I'm having a few issues with this DNS Patch. I think it's an interference with the Dynamic Palettes patch, as I've done some testing and it seems to work fine w/o it.

Here are some screenshots to show what I'm talking about:

This one seems to make it so tiles from the main tileset are reset to their default palettes

After moving a bit more, the main tiles will fix but all sprites in view will have their palettes "corrupted".

After going into a battle or building, the palettes are all fixed.

This is as much information I can give, as I don't have much experience dealing with anything complicated.

Click here

vxo

ROM Hacker

Male
California
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
52 posts
1.7 Years
Click here
Would I have to remove SQ's DNS inorder for this to work? If so, how would I go about it?

Delta231

A noob

Male
India
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted May 25th, 2019
688 posts
3.2 Years
In a simpler way, how do I apply the Wizard DN? I do not understand the instructions very well

1.Apply the Pallete Patch or compile it from the repo.
2.Insert Navenatox_Pallete_Patch_Fix.asm. 3.Insert RTC.asm

In Line 436 updateNPCPal: ......... .word 0x08XXXXXX+1 with XXXXXX being the offset of where you just inserted the Navenatox_Pallete_Patch_Fix.asm. This is not a reverse pointer, do not reverse or add anything to the offset, just change the number after 0x08 exactly where you inserted it and keep the +1 after it.

4.Compile npcmod.c instead of npcmod.asm

5.Put all the other asm files.
Male
Venezuela n_n
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
69 posts
5.2 Years
1.Apply the Pallete Patch or compile it from the repo.
2.Insert Navenatox_Pallete_Patch_Fix.asm. 3.Insert RTC.asm

In Line 436 updateNPCPal: ......... .word 0x08XXXXXX+1 with XXXXXX being the offset of where you just inserted the Navenatox_Pallete_Patch_Fix.asm. This is not a reverse pointer, do not reverse or add anything to the offset, just change the number after 0x08 exactly where you inserted it and keep the +1 after it.

4.Compile npcmod.c instead of npcmod.asm

5.Put all the other asm files.
In which offset goes the RTC.asm? with steps 4 and 5 can you be a little more detailed? I'm learning this compile but I'm going little by little.

Delta231

A noob

Male
India
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted May 25th, 2019
688 posts
3.2 Years
In which offset goes the RTC.asm? with steps 4 and 5 can you be a little more detailed? I'm learning this compile but I'm going little by little.
The offset in RTC is where you have inserted your Navenatox_Pallete_Patch_Fix.asm.If I have put it in 9045F0, I will write 0x089054F1.

In Step 4 you just compile npcmod.c

in Step you insert all the asm routines.
Male
Venezuela n_n
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
69 posts
5.2 Years
The offset in RTC is where you have inserted your Navenatox_Pallete_Patch_Fix.asm.If I have put it in 9045F0, I will write 0x089054F1.

In Step 4 you just compile npcmod.c

in Step you insert all the asm routines.
1.- I take the Dynamic Overworld Palettes patch and apply it to a clean rom

2.- Then I go to the thumb folder and compile Navenatox_Pallete_Patch: Fix.asm and convert it to .bin

3.- I open the clean rom and I go to an offset ... 71A240 for example and I put the previous bin and save

4.-I go to a text editor (Sublime text) to open the file RTC.asm and on line 436 I put in 0x08XXXXXX + 1 my offset that would be 0x0871A241

Once placed the 0x0871A241 I have to compile with thumb and specifically in what offset goes (where I want or there is a specific address) and how compile npcmod.c? I put the rom in the root folder and give it make or what? in that part where I'm blocked

I understand things better when the process is step by step .. I am a little noob in this, sorry for so much discomfort

Delta231

A noob

Male
India
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted May 25th, 2019
688 posts
3.2 Years
1.- I take the Dynamic Overworld Palettes patch and apply it to a clean rom

2.- Then I go to the thumb folder and compile Navenatox_Pallete_Patch: Fix.asm and convert it to .bin

3.- I open the clean rom and I go to an offset ... 71A240 for example and I put the previous bin and save

4.-I go to a text editor (Sublime text) to open the file RTC.asm and on line 436 I put in 0x08XXXXXX + 1 my offset that would be 0x0871A241

Once placed the 0x0871A241 I have to compile with thumb and specifically in what offset goes (where I want or there is a specific address) and how compile npcmod.c? I put the rom in the root folder and give it make or what? in that part where I'm blocked

I understand things better when the process is step by step .. I am a little noob in this, sorry for so much discomfort
For RTC asm:

Put 00B5 0148 0047 0000 [Reverse Address+1] 0000 10BC at 0x4B0.

To compile npcmod.c :

There is a script to compile that. I will edit this post when I will find it. If you are using Windows..

I don't really want to make a patch for this as people will learn these stuff themselves. :smile:
Male
Venezuela n_n
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
69 posts
5.2 Years
For RTC asm:

To compile npcmod.c :

There is a script to compile that. I will edit this post when I will find it. If you are using Windows..

I don't really want to make a patch for this as people will learn these stuff themselves. :smile:

I totally agree with you, we all have to learn but we need a detailed guide on how to do it ..

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Age 24
Male
Hong Kong
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted May 15th, 2019
846 posts
10.6 Years
For RTC asm:

To compile npcmod.c :

Perhaps you could make a patch to compare with Fire Red so people can compare what you've done with what they're trying to do? It sounds like people are having trouble understanding your instructions because they're quite unclear.

I also don't think saying 'do random stuff' is very helpful. If people are having difficulties, comparing to a completed patch could be very helpful. Especially if you put it in an area that overwrites peoples work so they know they have to repoint it.

vxo

ROM Hacker

Male
California
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
52 posts
1.7 Years
Yes, you have to remove it. Check the readme.
Your Readme.md doesn't specify how to remove the "broken" patch.

Delta231

A noob

Male
India
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted May 25th, 2019
688 posts
3.2 Years
Your Readme.md doesn't specify how to remove the "broken" patch.
Oh Sorry my mistake, I will add that ASAP.

EDIT

I am gonna tell you how to do this.

Requirements:

A Hex Editor (I prefer HxD)
A Clean FR Rom
A Patched FR Rom

Steps:

1) Open your clean and patched rom in HxD

2) Let's first go to 0x4B0 in both the roms. You will see the hook there in the patched i.e 00 B5 01 48 00 47 00 00 01 10 B0 08 00 00 10 BC . Overwrite those bytes with the bytes in your clean rom

Now let's reverse the address 01 10 B0 that would be B01000. Go to that address in your patched rom and from B01000 to B013F7 copy write FF.

3) Now go to B0250 and overwrite it with a table of FF bytes

4)Now go to B01500 and overwrite it with a table of FF bytes

And It seems the patch is incomplete..

Use this patch
Advertiser Content