FireRed Pokémon FR Advanced Challenge

Started by Devlain April 26th, 2020 10:25 AM
  • 81 replies
  • Poll

Are natures a good feature for Pokémon games?

Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
Pokémon FR Advanced Challenge v2.2.3

Download Link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/v0d1slulc7tii2p/Pokemon_FR_Advanced_Challenge_v2.2.3.zip/file

Pokémon Changes Documentation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU

Discord Server: https://discord.com/invite/k5SavySDVm

Introduction
Basically this is a FR Hack Rom with a lot of balance to make all Pokémon relevant and useful and with the addition of more interesting and challenging double battles.
I love third generation. I do random OU battles in Smogon and I play a lot of doubles battles along my friends in my free time so I decided to try to capture what I feel could be the most challenging and fulfilling experience in Pokémon Gen III.

Features
New Strategies for your Favorite Pokémon!

-Changes were made to help and improve all those Pokémon that never shone in either VGC or Smogon while I tried my best at maintaining the game's balance. The detailed description of each Pokémon change is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU

Epic Battles!

-Tired of always winning by spamming the same attack? Enjoy new and challenging double battles with new movesets and items against your Rival, Giovanni, the Gym Leaders, the Elite Four and many trainers from Johto & Hoenn region!
26 main story Boss Battles + 35 optional Boss Battles! (61 in total)
Beware! Items are disabled in combat!

Catch em' All!

-All Gen 3 Pokémon are obtainable without need of trading (386 in total).

Quality of Life Changes!
  • Starter comes with Exp. Share
  • Pokémon are generated with perfect IV
  • Pokémon learns moves earlier in the game
  • Infinite TM's
  • Infinite Move Tutors
  • Berry Vendor in Lavender Town
  • Free move reminder in Fuchsia City
  • EV Training Lab/Facility
  • National DEX from the start
  • Running shoes from the start
  • Moon Stone & Sun Stone is purchasable in Celadon City along with the other Evolutionary Stones
  • Gen V Repelent
  • Shortcuts for all main dungeons of the game
  • Dark Tunnel doesn't requires Flash to navigate
  • Some maps were modified for an easier navigation
  • Decap. for Pokémon names, moves, items and Start Menu.
  • Added "Nicknamer" a new item that changes any Pokémon nickname.
  • Removed tutorial battle against rival (it was boring).
  • Legendary Pokémon are now breedable with Ditto.
  • Pokémon that has Stone Evolutions (Clefable, Nidoking/Nidoqueen) shares learnset with their previous form (so move reminder can now teach those moves).
  • Running indoors (a really demanded request).
  • Breeding daycare in Route 5.

Abilities Overhaul

-You love your favourite Pokémon but you feel bad for using it because it has an useless ability? All abilities commonly considered boring or useless were replaced for more relevant abilities for the planning of your team.

Learnset Overhaul
-All Pokémon received up to one egg move in their learnsets.

Tools Used
  • AdvanceMap
  • G3T (Gen 3 Tools)
  • HTE (Hopeless Trainer Editor)
  • XSE (eXtreme Script Editor)

FAQ's
Spoiler:

Q: It is completed?
A: Yes, it is completed right now. It is unknown if it will receive more updates in the future.

Q: Which emulator I can use?
A: Pick one of these:
-Android: [ MyBoy! - GBA Emulator]
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fastemulator.gba&hl=es_419)
-Windows: [VBALink]
(https://www.vbalink.info/download/vbalink180b.zip)
-MacOS: [OpenEmu]
(https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/releases/download/v2.2.1/OpenEmu_2.2.1.zip)

Q: I can play with friends using MyBoy and link connection with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi?
A: Yes. This feature was already tested and it works flawlessly.

Q: It has physical/special split like in Gen IV+?
A: No. It doesn't. The game is balanced and designed with the old move categories system of Gen III in mind, and applying a physical/special split to it would compromise the balance of the game.

Q: Pokémon that used to evolve by trading evolves by level now?
A: Some by level, other by evolution items. For more information check the documentation on Pokémon species changes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU

Q: I can use my save file from an older version in more recent versions?
A: Nope. v2.0.0 is not backwards compatible with any other release de FR Advanced Challenge.

Q: You will add X or Y Pokémon? It is my favourite!
A: If it is included in the first 3 generations it could be eventually included. Most of my favourites Pokémon aren't included yet, because the process of adding a new Pokémon to the hack rom implies a lot of research and review of its performance in VGC and Smogon and doing the needed corrections to make it relevant if required. The process is lenghty and requires research and development so Pokémon that will be added in the feature will be added slowly.

Q: You will add Pokémon from newer generation or newer mechanics like Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, Dynamax/Gigamax?
A: That is not what I want to do with this project. This Hack Rom is what I humbly think is the "ideal experience" for Pokémon Fire Red, both in the original adventure and battling against friends. If I add those mechanics changes it will be impossible to handle the balance and essence of the game that I'm trying to capture.

Q: Were is the Berry Vendor?
A: He is in Lavender Town, outside of Pokémon Tower and surrounded by flowers.

Q: Were is the free Move Reminder?
A: He is in Fuchsia City, in the same house as the Move Deleter.

Q: The game sometimes crashes when I enter a double battle with a single available Pokémon!
A: Yes. It is a known issue and it's a limitation of Gen III engine when dealing with double battles. Just try to engage boss battles with at least 2 pokémon.

Q: Were are the new optional Boss Battles?
A: Here they are:
-Youngster Joey (Viridian City, near the north exit)
-Falkner (Route 22)
-Bugsy (Route 4, Mt. Moon entrance)
-Whitney (Route 25, outside Bill's house)
-Morty (Lavender Town, Pokémon Tower entrance)
-Chuck (Saffron City, outside Fighting Gym)
-Pryce (Fuchsia City, Lapras' Pool)
-Jasmine (Fuchsia City, outside Pokémon Center)
-Clair (Fuchsia City, outside Safari Zone)
-Will (Saffron City Gym)
-Koga (Safari Zone, first area)
-Bruno (Cinnabar Island)
-Karen (Viridian City Gym)
-Lance (Route 22)
-Silver (Route 22)
-Roxanne (Mt. Moon first floor)
-Brawly (Route 4, Mt. Moon exit)
-Wattson (Route 10, outside Pokémon Center)
-Flannery (Route 16, near Snorlax)
-Norman (Fuchsia City, center of the city)
-Winona (Fuchsia City, center of the city)
-Tate & Liza (Saffron City Gym)
-LEADER Wallace (Cinnabar Island)
-Sydney (Viridian City Gym)
-Phoebe (Viridian City, near the lake)
-Glacia (Route 23, in a isle in the middle of the lake)
-Drake (outside of Indigo Plateau)
-CHAMPION Wallace (Indigo Plateau)
-Wally (Indigo Plateau)
-Prof Oak (Indigo Plateau)
-Steven (Indigo Plateau)
-Secret Boss Battle (Somewhere in Sevii Islands)
-Development Team Boss Battles (One in a Kanto city and the other two in Sevii Islands)

Latest Changes
Spoiler:

v2.2.3

Boss Battles
-Added a new optional Double Battle against Saffron City Dojo Master.

Breeding Daycare Earlier
-Now breeding daycare can be found in Route 5 (the daycare in Sevii Islands was closed).

Optional Trainer Battles
-Now all Trainer Battles are optional (are only triggered when you talk with the trainer) except for gym battles, battles against Team Rocket's members & battles against bikers.

Quality of Life Changes (QoL)
  • Removed tutorial battle against rival (it was boring).
  • Legendary Pokémon are now breedable with Ditto.
  • Pokémon that has Stone Evolutions (Clefable, Nidoking/Nidoqueen) shares learnset with their previous form (so move reminder can now teach those moves).
  • Added some extra high grass tiles to Rute 9 to find new Pokémon easier.
  • Running indoors (a really demanded request).
  • All fossil are now resurected at lv35.
  • Vitamins now cost 2500 (from 3000).
  • Rest's TM can now be purchased in Celadon City Mart.
  • Decapitalization of routes & cities' names.

Balance Changes
  • ]Clair gives you a lv30 Dratini (from lv20).
  • ]Lum & Leppa Berry now cost 600 (from 150).
  • ]Corsola now appears between lvs 20-25 (from lvs 5-15).

Bug Fixes
  • Trapinch has Hyper Cutter as ability as intended.
  • Fixed missing collision tile in Route 23.
  • Fixed mini-sprites color palette of Lotad, Gulpin & Cacturne.
  • Captive kid now freed in Fuchsia City (we thought he was a Kabuto but now Kabuto is in the zoo as intended).
  • Clamperl now can evolve in Huntail with Water Stone as originally intended.
  • Clamperl now can evolve in Gorebyss with Volt Stone as originally intended.

Progress Report
Spoiler:

The ROM could be finished right now with a battle against Trainer Red in Sevii Islands 2 but these are some features planned and their development
  • 386/386 Pokémon Balanced & Overhauled (100%)
  • All Rival Battles Overhauled (100%)
  • All Gym & Pokémon League Battles Overhauled (100%)
  • Profesor Oak Secret Battle (100%)
  • All Johto (15/15) new Battles introduced (100%)
  • Egg moves added to Pokémon learnsets (100%)
  • 15/15 Hoenn new Battles (100%)
  • 3/3 new secret end game Battles (100%)
  • Berries vendor to implement (100%)
  • 17/17 infinite move tutors implemented (100%)
  • 8/8 shortcuts between routes & dungeons implemented (100%)

Hall of Fame
Spoiler:

SevenChurches

Peyton

Peyton

Devlain

Peyton

Peyton

Lyro

PiaCRT

Dragon Slave!!!

Age 25
Male
Pummelo Island
Seen 3 Weeks Ago
Posted May 4th, 2021
889 posts
10.9 Years
Thread approved. Stylishly done zipped folder, love all the documentation you've included.

Discord: Pia Carrot#0349 | Deviantart: piacarrot
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted 4 Weeks Ago
387 posts
2.4 Years
I love third generation. I do random OU battles in Smogon and I play a lot of doubles battles along my friends in my free time so I decided to try to capture what I feel could be the most challenging and fulfilling experience in Pokémon Gen III.
I play random on Showdown all the time. This is a very interesting hack, looking forward to playing it.
Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
Thread approved. Stylishly done zipped folder, love all the documentation you've included.
Glad you appreciate it! I usually think that most of the people doesn't care about documentation but I think that it is so frustrating when something I want to use isn't well documented.

I play random on Showdown all the time. This is a very interesting hack, looking forward to playing it.
I really appreciate you interest and I'll be happy to read your opinions on it.

Timofai

PIPLUP IS CUTEST POKEMON! YEP!

Age 24
Male
Kiyv, Ukraine, Ass of world.
Seen December 8th, 2020
Posted December 8th, 2020
9 posts
1.8 Years
I love this project!
Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
Is the physical/special split on this? It doesn't seem to be listed in the features.
No, it isn't. This subject was addressed in the FAQ's too.
Q: It has physical/special split like in Gen IV+?
A: No. It doesn't. The game is balanced and designed with the old move categories system of Gen III in mind, and applying a physical/special split to it would compromise the balance of the game.
Thank you for your interest!
Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
since you removed IVs why not remove natures too, i never liked to capture a pokemon and then see it has -(your main stat) nature
If I learn how to do it maybe I'll do it. I think it is a good idea on paper, but I should check the impact because sometimes natures provides extra customization when designing your team. Anyways I feel and think the same way than you about natures.
Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
This looks fun. I also think it would be great if you removed natures.
Thank you for the feedback. I've been researching on the matter in my discord channels and speaking with friends and I didn't gather enough evidence yet that a Pokémon game could be better without natures (even if don't like them either). Maybe in the feature I'll release an optional version without them but I'm not sure if I'll implement that feature yet.
Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
Fair enough. I've always resented the introduction of natures because I hate spending time looking for the ones I want. I'm sure your game will be fun regardless.
I think the same that you, even though they are not as punishing as IV's because there are not 31^6 possible combinations, only 25 (and 5 combinations do the same anyways) and the layer of customisation they adds are still valuable.
If I could do it easily, I'll do a system to chose your own nature. But that's a subject about development cost VS value provided.
Thank you again for your opinions on the matter!
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Weeks Ago
198 posts
13.9 Years
I started playing this yesterday and having fun so far. The edits make some of the old Pokemon feel new and the difficulty with set mode on is well considered. Thank you for making this Devlain.

I caught a Zigzagoon after seeing that Linoone's stats have been raised but have since learned there's no way for me to teach it ExtremeSpeed. That's annoying but maybe intentional on your part?

Would you ever consider giving Shiftry the ability Hustle and the move Magical Leaf? That would make it competitive without raising its stats. Your game and your decision.
Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
I started playing this yesterday and having fun so far. The edits make some of the old Pokemon feel new and the difficulty with set mode on is well considered. Thank you for making this Devlain.

I caught a Zigzagoon after seeing that Linoone's stats have been raised but have since learned there's no way for me to teach it ExtremeSpeed. That's annoying but maybe intentional on your part?
First of all: Thank you so much for your feedback. I appreciate it a lot.

Yes, Zigzagoon isn't learning ExtremeSpeed. There are two reasons for this decision:
-The only Zigzagoon with ExtremeSpeed is a one from an event distribution so I prefer to retain that uniqueness even if I know that ExtremeSpeed defines Linoone principal game plan in singles battles.
-I think belly drum + extremespeed is a fragile and unstable plan in doubles so I rather explore new spaces for strategic diversity (that's why I picked Tickle instead of ExtremeSpeed as a default egg move).

Of course, this is a matter of opinion but I'm happy with the current final result after testing.
Would you ever consider giving Shiftry the ability Hustle and the move Magical Leaf? That would make it competitive without raising its stats. Your game and your decision.
I'll consider it, yes. I think it is a little bit risky but sounds like an interesting design.

Thank you again for your feedback!
Male
Argentine
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted April 11th, 2021
52 posts
2.5 Years
People, I just released v1.10.0. This updated is BIG. Is really THE BIGGEST UPDATE I did since v0.3.0 to v1.0.0 (a lot of months ago).
I'm suspending development of new features for a time and I'll be only working only on fixes & few tweaks at the moment because of personal reasons. I think that in a future I'll retake the project more actively (maybe in a few months).
But I just wanted to deliver to you the best I could do in a week of extreme work and after months and months of planning.
So, here it is. v1.10.0 with a lot of updates (reflected on the original post). I'll put the latest changes log here so you can see it:

Boss Battles
  • A new introductory and optional battle against YOUNGSTER JOEY was added in Viridian City for the sake of introduction to the game mains mechanics (boss fights in double format without item usage in combat).
  • Changes were introduced to Will & Bruno (both encounters) addressing the Balance Changes of this patch.

Hoenn Challengers
New optional Boss Battles!:
  • Roxanne (Mt. Moon first floor)
  • Brawly (Route 4, Mt. Moon exit)
  • Wattson (Route 10, outside Pokémon Center)
  • Flannery (Route 16, near Snorlax)
  • Norman (Fuchsia City, center of the city)
  • Winona (Fuchsia City, center of the city)
  • Tate & Liza (Saffron City Gym)
  • LEADER Wallace (Cinnabar Island)
  • Sydney (Viridian City Gym)
  • Phoebe (Viridian City, near the lake)
  • Glacia (Route 23, in a isle in the middle of the lake)
  • Drake (outside of Indigo Plateau)
  • CHAMPION Wallace (Indigo Plateau)
  • Wally (Indigo Plateau)
  • Steven (Indigo Plateau)

New Pokémon
  • Nosepass
  • Hariyama
  • Medicham
  • Manectric
  • Camerupt
  • Torkoal
  • Spinda
  • Slaking
  • Tropius
  • Pelipper
  • Altaria
  • Solrock
  • Lunatone
  • Claydol
  • Luvdisc
  • Whiscash
  • Walrein
  • Milotic
  • Cacturne
  • Crawdaunt
  • Absol
  • Dusclops
  • Banette
  • Sableye
  • Glalie
  • Flygon
  • Salamence
  • Wailord
  • Aggron
  • Cradily
  • Armaldo
  • Metagross
  • Delcatty
  • Roselia
  • Gardevoir

Quality of Life Changes (QoL)
  • Free Move Reminder in Fuchsia City (in the same house that Move Deleter).
  • Moon Stone now seleable in Celadon City Mart.
  • Added missing berry to Berry Vendor (the berry that restores PP).

Own Tempo Returns
-Own Tempo was removed from the game because of the low relevance of Confusion in the first iterations. With the inclusion of Spinda (Teeter Dance) & the prevalence of Confuse Ray strategies in boss fights, Own Tempo was included again and restored to Slowbro, Slowking & Smeargle. Stats were buffed to compensate for the lost of more useful or versatile abilities.
Own Tempo & Confuse based strategies will provide more strategic depth to the game.

Balance Changes
  • Crabhammer restored to its original less powerfull version to avoid exploit from Crawdaunt recently introduced (Kingler loses its ability to be a mixed attacker but still works as a physical bulky attacker & provides Knock Off to the team).
  • Phanpy now has 10% encounter rate from 5%.
  • Dunsparce now has 5% encounter rate from 1%.
  • Tentacruel now has +10 hp instead of +10 spDef (this is a little buff).
  • Vital Throw restored to its original less powerfull version to avoid exploit from Hariyama recentrly introduced (It's not a big loss to Machamp since it still has Brick Break & Rock Slide).
  • Slowking now has an extra +10 def to compensate the lost of Natural Cure in favor of Own Tempo.
  • Slowbro now has an extra +5 spDef to compensate the lost of Shell Armor in favor of Own Tempo.
  • Smeargle now has an extra +5 hp to compensate the lost of Limber in favor of Own Tempo.
  • Dizzy Punch restored to its original less powerfull version to avoid exploit from Spinda recently introduced (Kangaskhan it's still really relevant without the need of Dizzy Punch).

Bug Fixes
-Solved a bug that made rematch against final secret boss impossible. Now final secret boss (& Steven, that was included in this patch) could be battle any number of times.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for playing and for your feedback!