ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old March 5th, 2009 (2:40 PM).
Proud to hack Ruby Version!
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
I've got a problem I've been trying to crack for the past four hours - hoping someone can help me out here ; I'm trying to change the berry pictures - the images that show up in Ruby when you check a Berry's Tag. Now, I know that the offsets for the various berry graphics begin at 26BF8B and end at 26C0CD, but when I load these values into Tile Molester, I can't find anything that looks even remotely like a Berry, no matter what I do and no matter how I view the data (nothing but random pixelated nonsense). Has anyone actually successfully edited the berries in a Ruby hack before? Can anyone give me some advice?

Also, does anyone know anything about changing the order of the Pokédex in Ruby, and what Pokemon appear?

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 5th, 2009 (6:33 PM).
Phantom of the Internet

OK, i've seen alot of talk about fadescreen and everything but i can NEVER find script that actually works to get a sprite (person, item, wild pokemon) to go away immediately. I walk away from it and come back and it's gone, but that looks unprofessional and tacky

Can someone tell me how to make the sprite disappear right there...a sample script would be appreciated. I use pokescript, but my hacking partner uses XSE so either would be fine

Thanks
    Old March 5th, 2009 (7:26 PM).
    Barium - Summer '12 Return?

Nature: Relaxed
      #org $begin
      fadescreen 0x1
      #raw 0x53
      #raw 0xpersonno
      #raw 0x0
      setflag 0x (make person id, not person event #, listed at bottom, the same as this flag)
      fadescreen 0x0
      release
      end

Hashire! Asu e tsudzuku shinka no micha wa
      Old March 5th, 2009 (11:21 PM).

I have a question. Is there a simple way/tool in/for FRLG to change whether a type is physical or special? Or would one have to do it the long way of switching two types, such as dark and ghost, by renaming them and then switching the type of every respective pokemon and move?
        Old March 6th, 2009 (2:16 AM).
        TloS FTW!!!

Quote:
          Originally Posted by ghostofherooftime View Post
          OK, i've seen alot of talk about fadescreen and everything but i can NEVER find script that actually works to get a sprite (person, item, wild pokemon) to go away immediately. I walk away from it and come back and it's gone, but that looks unprofessional and tacky

Can someone tell me how to make the sprite disappear right there...a sample script would be appreciated. I use pokescript, but my hacking partner uses XSE so either would be fine

Thanks
          Depending on what scripting launguage you use, it is:

PokéScript:
          #raw 0x53 0x0(PERSON EVENT NO.) 0x00

XSE:
          Hidesprite 0x(PERSON EVENT NO.)

Don't forget to use a setflag command to keep the sprite from reappearing.
          Old March 6th, 2009 (8:30 AM).
          Oh god the bees
          • Silver Tier

Nature: Naive
          For some reason, Sappy 2006 closes whenever I press the Play button and gives me some error when I try to "Assemble that ugly thing!" It started happening once I reformatted my HD and re-installed windows. I got all the right files and I updated WMP. Can anyone please help?

My other resources:
          My Website
          diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
          diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
          The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
          Diego's Miscellaneous Patches
          GBA Intro Manager
          The Secret Sauce: Triple-Layer Tiles
          Old March 6th, 2009 (8:51 AM).

can some one tell me where can i find newes finished hacks and especially shiny gold?
            Old March 6th, 2009 (9:34 AM). Edited March 6th, 2009 by ghostofherooftime.
            Phantom of the Internet

I apologize i will take this to the script help thread
              Old March 6th, 2009 (9:40 AM).
              The Faltine

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jasuke View Post
                can some one tell me where can i find newes finished hacks and especially shiny gold?
                You can search it with Google or go to the Hacks Showcase and select 'Beginning'. I would personally recommend you Naranja, all the Ruby Destiny series and ShinyGold.
                And, this is not exactly the place to ask this.
                ----------------------------------------------
                So, I downloaded TMolester. I'm like a Magikarp in the Distortion World. I can't do anything... I'm lost in the Programme.
                Old March 6th, 2009 (10:55 AM).

I assume these are scripting issues..

1) I've replaced Viridian Forest with a large underground cave, but it's still showing the Forest image when entering (Although it is showing the new name, Echo Cave) How do I change it to show, say, the image shown when entering Mt. Moon?

2) When editing scripts, be it signposts to people speaking (although in the end it's all the same thing), if I edit the text beyond the length of the original message, it either messes up other parts of the same script, or scripts of other people in the area. Is there a way to stop this?
                  Old March 6th, 2009 (11:28 AM).
                  Proud to hack Ruby Version!
                  • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Raziel View Post

1) I've replaced Viridian Forest with a large underground cave, but it's still showing the Forest image when entering (Although it is showing the new name, Echo Cave) How do I change it to show, say, the image shown when entering Mt. Moon?

2) When editing scripts, be it signposts to people speaking (although in the end it's all the same thing), if I edit the text beyond the length of the original message, it either messes up other parts of the same script, or scripts of other people in the area. Is there a way to stop this?
                  Can't help much with the first part (I'm a Ruby hacker ; ), but the second problem is easy enough - when the text is bigger, simply repoint. An easy way to do this is to find some free space in your ROM with a program like FSF. Then, create a new "Person talking" script using these new offsets (one for the event itself, one for the text box), compile, and then copy the event offset ( 88D5F3, for example) into the little box in Advance Map labelled "Script Offset." The person should now say the longer text without glitching up anyone else
                  Old March 6th, 2009 (12:30 PM).
                  More cowbell~
                  • Silver Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Raziel View Post

1) This happens and there is nothing you can do about it unfortunately
                  2) Pink Parka Girl gave you the right answer
                  Old March 6th, 2009 (2:00 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pink Parka Girl View Post
                    Can't help much with the first part (I'm a Ruby hacker ^^; ), but the second problem is easy enough - when the text is bigger, simply repoint. An easy way to do this is to find some free space in your ROM with a program like FSF. Then, create a new "Person talking" script using these new offsets (one for the event itself, one for the text box), compile, and then copy the event offset ( 88D5F3, for example) into the little box in Advance Map labelled "Script Offset." The person should now say the longer text without glitching up anyone else ^^
                    I figured that'd be what I had to do, I just wanted to make sure it was before I went fiddling around with empty spaces and new offsets and such. Thanks.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pokepal17 View Post
                    1) This happens and there is nothing you can do about it unfortunately :(
                    Hmm.. I guess I could just run the exit warpzones to Mt Moon and vice verca or something for when I need them.. I'll have to do that if there's nothing else I can do.

Thanks, both of you :)
                    Old March 6th, 2009 (9:20 PM).

when i make wild battle script the sprite disipears after the battle then comes back if you leave the area and come back
                      some one plz help
                      Old March 7th, 2009 (1:07 AM).
                      TloS FTW!!!

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by ninjaman View Post
                        when i make wild battle script the sprite disipears after the battle then comes back if you leave the area and come back
                        some one plz help
                        You must use a "setflag" to keep the sprite from re-appearing.
                        Set the user-ID of the sprite to the flag you set after the battle, and the sprite will stay gone.

Now, I have a question:

Is it possible to make a 4th-gen combat system in Emerald?
                        I mean, where the moves are phisical/special depending on the move instead of the type?

And is it possible to add new types, and determine wether they are special or physical?
                        If so, it might be possible to add all types again, but then in a "reverse" way (so fire, ice ect. will be physical, and dark, steel ect. will be special).

Is there anyone that can help me out here?
                        Old March 7th, 2009 (7:50 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Jerros View Post
                          Is it possible to make a 4th-gen combat system in Emerald?
                          Theoretically, anything is possible. In practice, however, changing the physical/special system would require a very large amount of ASM work that has not been done before or documented in any way, shape, or form.

In short, “If you have to ask, no.”
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Jerros View Post
                          And is it possible to add new types, and determine wether they are special or physical?
                          New types can be added, but I don’t see mentions of physical/special in Coolboyman’s type tutorial, and Cy-chan says he can only add special types to the game.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
                          Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
                          Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
                          Old March 7th, 2009 (7:54 AM).

How would one go about changing the items given to you by Gym Leaders when you beat them?
                            I assume it's either (using Brock ans an example)
                            Quote:
                            additem 0x147 0x1
                            or
                            Quote:
                            giveitem2 0x147 0x1 0x101
                            My guess is one's an item and one's a badge? The thing is I have no idea which is which, or what code correlates to which item (I.E. poton, super potion, repel, TMxx etc etc).. Is there a list anywhere or something I could use for reference?

I should so just find someone else to do the scripting.. I rather suck at it lol
                            Old March 7th, 2009 (10:12 AM).
                            Wanderer

Nature: Impish
                              Alright, I'll try this one more time

As far as I can tell, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary (I don't use advance text or anything like that), but out of nowhere, for some reason, when the game displays an apostrophe or a quotation mark in a message box, a weird little "phantom" comma appears under it. Anyone know how to fix or get rid of this?

And now I have another quick question...

How exactly would I go about adding a trainerbattle in the middle of a script so that after the battle is finished, the script continues (like when you fight your rival at various points in Fire Red). Whenever I try to do this, the script ends right after the battle, and therefore doesn't set the flags that I need to be set.
                              Old March 7th, 2009 (10:17 AM).
                              More cowbell~
                              • Silver Tier

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Sonikku17 View Post
                              Alright, I'll try this one more time

As far as I can tell, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary (I don't use advance text or anything like that), but out of nowhere, for some reason, when the game displays an apostrophe or a quotation mark in a message box, a weird little "phantom" comma appears under it. Anyone know how to fix or get rid of this?

And now I have another quick question...

How exactly would I go about adding a trainerbattle in the middle of a script so that after the battle is finished, the script continues (like when you fight your rival at various points in Fire Red). Whenever I try to do this, the script ends right after the battle, and therefore doesn't set the flags that I need to be set.
                              For the battle use
                              trainerbattle 0x1 0xbattle number from A-trainer/PET 0x0 @pointer to text before battle @pointer to text after battle @pointer to events after battle
                              Old March 7th, 2009 (1:02 PM).

I need some help. When I insert music into the game, all it does is sound like a bunch of bleeps and bloops. I have like 5 midis, and everyone does it. Please help.

Name: Entei
                                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                Old March 7th, 2009 (1:19 PM).
                                GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
                                  Anyone know how to extract sprites from platinum? If so please tel me!
                                  Old March 7th, 2009 (2:00 PM).
                                  Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by hildetorr View Post
                                    Anyone know how to extract sprites from platinum? If so please tel me!
                                    Could you elaborate? What do you mean by 'extract'? :s
                                    ██_______██
                                    _█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
                                    _█████████_
                                    _██_____██_
                                    Old March 7th, 2009 (2:44 PM).
                                    More cowbell~
                                    • Silver Tier

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Esmas View Post
                                    I think hildetorr means how can he take sprites from Platinum and insert them into a GBA ROM.
                                    Old March 7th, 2009 (2:45 PM).
                                    GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Esmas View Post
                                      Like how you use unlz.gba to get the sprites out of the gba roms.
                                      Old March 7th, 2009 (8:27 PM).

A small question, do scripts that unlocks or activate the National Dex affect the Elite Four in anyway? I mean Gameshark codes mention something about if you use these codes before reaching Saffron city, you won't be able to fight the E4 in their first stages. I'm curious to see if they do or not.
                                        Closed Thread

Quick Reply