• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★ Toxic to the Touch ★ Poison Type Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
  • I deleted all of my subscriptions then went to Monte Carlo and forgot. I brought sundaes! :D

Topuck: Arbox is AWESOME! =D Not just in Pokemon Stadium, but in the manga and the games. It's nostalgic, awesome and somewhat under-rated. I've yet to use it competitively but from what I can make out it's pretty good! (not quite on Serviper's level but oh well)

I got my first Shiny the other month! =D It was a Gulpin! I named it something weird but it actually had a good move-set and IVs! I was tempted to use it but I can't stand Swalot. xD Reminds me of Hercule Poirot's Luigi-of-a-Brother. XD

My friend's first shiny was a Gulpin! :3 Congrats!
    Yamamoto Satoshi-Swalot is disappointed in you. (I'm assuming you know who he is since you mentioned the manga even if there's manga other than Special.)

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Also, I did change the icon to the grapes. They really do look like poison bubbles, good eye Coffee.

Yay! I just noticed that, great job!

I was also thinking of making a new set of discussions on which sprites that we like best. Maybe we could take a vote on each of the Poison Type Pokemon's sprites in a quick order?

We can start with my favorite Pokemon, #109 Koffing:
    koffing-color.png
    koffing-color.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png

Sprites go from Red/Blue to Yellow. Gold, Silver and Crystal. Ruby/Emerald and Sapphire. Diamond/Pearl and Platinum. HeartGold/SoulSilver. And finally, Black and White.

Personally, I prefer the coloration of Heart Gold and Soul Silver's Koffing best. That dark purple does something that makes it ring truer to it's origins. The Red and Blue sprites are cool because Koffing flat out has a genuine Jolly Roger on it's forehead. Colored in black and poisoned Pokemon saw that symbol flash twice every turn. Lovely. I love all of them, but Soul Silver's stands out with that death smile look on its face, so it gets my vote.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I was also thinking of making a new set of discussions on which sprites that we like best. Maybe we could take a vote on each of the Poison Type Pokemon's sprites in a quick order?

We can start with my favorite Pokemon, #109 Koffing:
    koffing-color.png
    koffing-color.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png
    koffing.png

Sprites go from Red/Blue to Yellow. Gold, Silver and Crystal. Ruby/Emerald and Sapphire. Diamond/Pearl and Platinum. HeartGold/SoulSilver. And finally, Black and White.

Personally, I prefer the coloration of Heart Gold and Soul Silver's Koffing best. That dark purple does something that makes it ring truer to it's origins. The Red and Blue sprites are cool because Koffing flat out has a genuine Jolly Roger on it's forehead. Colored in black and poisoned Pokemon saw that symbol flash twice every turn. Lovely. I love all of them, but Soul Silver's stands out with that death smile look on its face, so it gets my vote.

Oh nice, a new idea, I like it so let's give it a shot. I agree with you, the color of HG/SS Koffing is definitely great and would also be my favorite.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • But can we talk about Koffing's XY sprite?

109.gif

The bumps are now smaller instead of the ugly bumps we got through the years.

Also, forehead jolly roger is funny.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Also, forehead jolly roger is funny.

Forehead jolly roger made him what he is today, a true 'mon. No other pokemon has gone through this intense skin change, except maybe Golbat and Weezing, but they don't count as Weezing is still Koffing and Golbat is ugly. Now, are you going to just sit there, or take up the Koffing's true 'mon image???

/turns off inspirational music/

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • How can you say that Golbat is ugly. He's majestic at the very least.
    from this

42.png

to this

42.gif

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Koffing sprites--I strongly admire its posing from Red and Blue.

In others, its pose is generally happy-go-lucky, so to speak, but at this one, Koffing seems to be rather dangerous, which, I believe, does add to its overall value and whatnot. Had they kept all its future sprites resembling this, I'm sure I would have liked them as much.

As for coloring, I'm quite fond of the palettes Koffing has in HeartGold and SoulSilver. Its color-scheme is indeed purple, but not as bright, which helps signifying its feeling of "danger" slightly more. Pokémon such as Koffing do have ability to use Selfdestruct, which is dangerous, and if it were real life, having some dark color attached would indeed help certain people keep away, in a way.

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • Well, I evolved my Ekans into Arbok! I named her Asp when she was hatched, and it sounds fitting: Wrap | Poison Fang | Glare | Screech/Coil
    The same can be said of my Zubat into Golbat and then Crobat immediately after. Still working on Kaffeine and trying to snag a Ponyta. . .

Good news everyone! We have more posts in our club than the other Pokemon clubs (besides the general shiny hunter club)!

So far we have three votes for Soul Silver Koffing, one for Yellow Koffing, and one for Pokemon X's Koffing. Sounds good.

Years
  • Think i'll take another club to join, why not. (Holy smokes, this club has been around since before I even joined? Goodness.)

Name: Pendraflare
    Pick two Poison-type Partner Pokémon: Scolipede and Roserade
    Reason(s) for liking Poison-types: Well, I like their ability to be able to kill things slowly and painfully, and a lot of them have really cool designs and nice Defenses.
    Answer to current topic: I've never used Arbok before to my recollection, other than maybe for breeding in the Dragon-type Egg group. But I know they can be a pain when they have the Intimidate ability.

Hope this works for you... Thanks!

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • Well let me be first to welcome you to our little spot in the marshes! I hope you utilize the Poison Type to your advantage and cause pain to several of your foes using detrimental status moves! Also, great news! You now have the option of adopting a Koffing (bred by me) that contains three egg moves: Destiny Bond, Pain Split, and Psybeam! What do you say?

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Think i'll take another club to join, why not. (Holy smokes, this club has been around since before I even joined? Goodness.)

Reason(s) for liking Poison-types: Well, I like their ability to be able to kill things slowly and painfully, and a lot of them have really cool designs and nice Defenses.
    Answer to current topic: I've never used Arbok before to my recollection, other than maybe for breeding in the Dragon-type Egg group. But I know they can be a pain when they have the Intimidate ability.

Welcome! Honestly I thought you joined this already, but that's probably cuz I see you all over the forums :P Intimidate is a pretty annoying ability to go against, but it is pretty helpful when it's on your side.

Years
  • Ah, I might have joined the last Poison-type club, but I definitely didn't post in this thread before, since there was no arrow next to the red folder :P And I can relate to Ekans with Intimidate, since I just fought a handful of them as I was just playing Leaf Green (which, unfortuntely, Ekans isn't present in).

And to the guy two posts above me: that's an interesting offer, but I don't really feel in a trading mood at the moment. Destiny Bond would be better used on something fast. :x

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • Destiny Bond would be better used on something fast. :x

Maybe, but it was a leftover move from Misdreavus when I bred Psybeam and Pain Split onto them, so it's just another option. It's mainly to have the option to breed these moves with a little extra help and not have to do it all yourself. I have like 200 of them, so. . .

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    This is sort of off-topic, but one thing I've always found myself wondering is why we lack poison-electric types.

Poison Pokémon have many unique combinations assigned, ranging from water, all the way to ghost; in regards to electric, however, I'm not sure if there are any. Would be great to see them introduce one at some point in future, definitely. If we already do have a couple (I can't think of any at the moment, unfortunately), it wouldn't hurt to have more.

As far as designing goes, perhaps they could have this Pokémon based off machine of sorts, similarly to the likes of Magneton and whatnot? Stats-wise, I'm sure they'd likely lean more on special side, since there's more decent electric-type moves available in that area.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • How can you say that Golbat is ugly. He's majestic at the very least.
    from this

42.png

to this

42.gif

Huehuehue guess I just don't like Golbat.
    But I do love Crobat~
    And my Diamond one just learned Cross Poison~

Think i'll take another club to join, why not. (Holy smokes, this club has been around since before I even joined? Goodness.)

Welcome to our club welcome to our club welcome to our club
    Welcome glances at name Pendra welcome Pendra welcome Pendra

My family watches way too much Spongebob

This is sort of off-topic, but one thing I've always found myself wondering is why we lack poison-electric types.

Poison Pokémon have many unique combinations assigned, ranging from water, all the way to ghost; in regards to electric, however, I'm not sure if there are any. Would be great to see them introduce one at some point in future, definitely. If we already do have a couple (I can't think of any at the moment, unfortunately), it wouldn't hurt to have more.

As far as designing goes, perhaps they could have this Pokémon based off machine of sorts, similarly to the likes of Magneton and whatnot? Stats-wise, I'm sure they'd likely lean more on special side, since there's more decent electric-type moves available in that area.
    Why did you mention this after I replied

That sounds great. :D I always wanted a Fire/Poison type as those are my favorites but I imagine it'd bbe horrible competitive wise.......
    Or at least a Dragon/Poison Ledgend. :T
    (Wait isn't DraGaGagalge a dragon/poison??)

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • This is sort of off-topic, but one thing I've always found myself wondering is why we lack poison-electric types.

I think we've touched on this before, actually. Poison is one of the types that isn't combined with many others. I believe, and I'm sure I'm not alone, that they've mothballed the Poison type. To emphasize that point, we didn't get a new Poison Type combination until Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl came about. The Poison type is still missing combinations for: Steel, Rock, Normal, Fire, Ice, Fairy, Electric, and Psychic. Which I believe is more than any other type, albeit many aren't paired with the Normal typing as standard.

Huehuehue guess I just don't like Golbat.
    But I do love Crobat~

But Golbat is the scariest of the Poison types. . . dawww Are you afraid of the little blood sucker? On that note, I found myself an Infiltrator Zubat. I'm going to breed so many of these. Give me a ring if you're interested, eh? You might come calling, I'm going to breed Giga Drain onto them. Strange, for a Pokemon that drinks blood, Golbat only learns Leech Life as it's only draining move naturally. All in favor of raising the attack power of Leech Life to 50 say 'aye'.

Also, I've finalized my team: Arbok, Crobat, Ninetales, Arcanine, Rapidash, Weezing. Very proud to keep them all within the G1 limits. I would have kept Golbat, but that 80 point difference in the base stats is too great a gap to ignore. So I guess it isn't a true G1 Team, not really. Still nice to dream though.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • But Golbat is the scariest of the Poison types. . . dawww Are you afraid of the little blood sucker? On that note, I found myself an Infiltrator Zubat. I'm going to breed so many of these. Give me a ring if you're interested, eh? You might come calling, I'm going to breed Giga Drain onto them. Strange, for a Pokemon that drinks blood, Golbat only learns Leech Life as it's only draining move naturally. All in favor of raising the attack power of Leech Life to 50 say 'aye'.

Also, I've finalized my team: Arbok, Crobat, Ninetales, Arcanine, Rapidash, Weezing. Very proud to keep them all within the G1 limits. I would have kept Golbat, but that 80 point difference in the base stats is too great a gap to ignore. So I guess it isn't a true G1 Team, not really. Still nice to dream though.
    no I just can't draw then cutesy like Zubat and Crobat

*sunlightbreathing intensifies* Maybe I could possibly be willing to offer aomething at this point.....? XD My DexNav must be broke cause when I search for Zubat it says there's none around. :T Gotta get that darn thing fixed soon.

Nice team. :D And technically it could be a Kanto Team rather than G1 since Crobat evolves from a Kanto mon?......

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I would suggest you do. There are always Zubats around.

There are three constants in this life, Death, Taxes, and Zubats and I'm not so sure about the former two.

Zubat was brought up in my youth group class last week and one kid looked at me and said 'Where did you possibly find a Zubat?' and we had a nice laugh. Seriously I just realized we were discussing the Eon Ticket in Church. ._. Christian of the year award goes to........

Aye. Aye to the Leech Life Aye AYE AYE.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back