• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★ Toxic to the Touch ★ Poison Type Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
  • Arbok- The pit bull of the Pokemon world
    I just beat an Arbok in the game I was playing(after it nearly destroyed two Pokemon on my team). .___.

I always loved Arbok in the anime, but the only time I remember it in the Pokemon Adventures manga was that time Green's Charmeleon cut one in half and towards the end of the Yellow Arc when Koga came back. In game I almost had the chance to use one but I lost the Ekans in the Nuzlocke. ._.U

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Yeah, Arbok is definitely going on my team, but now I need to find out which Abilities I'm going to use:

Modest Ninetales: Will 'o Wisp | Hex | Flame Thrower/Confuse Ray| Solar Beam
    Ability: Drought

Adamant Rapidash: Flame Charge | Poison Jab | Mega Horn | Stomp
    Ability: Flash Fire

Modest Weezing: Dark Pulse | Sludge Bomb | Psybeam | Pain Split
    Ability: Levitate

Adamant Arbok: Coil | Glare | Poison Fang | Ice Fang/Fire Fang
    Ability: Intimidate

Optionals Below

Adamant Crobat: Fly | Cross Poison | Confuse ray | Steel Wing

Modest Volcorona: Toxic | Fiery Dance | Quiver Dance | Just thought it was a bad idea.

Modest Venomoth: Poison Powder | Struggle Bug | Attract | Psychic

Modest Typhlosion: Lava Plume/Eruption | Rest | Rock Tomb/Bulldoze | Smoke Screen/Swift

I needed a Pokemon that knew fly on my team and I didn't want to waste my Fire slot on Talon Flame. Although I could Swap out Crobat and use Volcorona instead? I'm also interested in using a Venomoth. I haven't used one since. . . actually I don't recall I've ever had the pleasure of actually hunkering down and using one.

Arbok is cool because it can learn all the 'fang' moves, except poison fang through breeding though which is incredibly dumb.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Name: Jatin Gupta
    Pick two Poison-type Partner Pokémon: Nidoqueen,Gengar
    Reason(s) for liking Poison-types: I like poison type pokemon because of its ability to block or cause status conditions and resist common moves.the Poison type resists itself, Bug, Fighting, Grass, and Fairy.Additionally,Poison is only one of two types super-effective against Fairy (the other being Steel) :)
    Answer to current topic: i like Arbok because of its shed skin ability(and also Unnerve abilty (hidden ability) ) and also its powerful moves ex- gunk shot and sludge wave move :)

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Answer to current topic: i like Arbok because of its shed skin ability(and also Unnerve abilty (hidden ability) ) and also its powerful moves ex- gunk shot and sludge wave move :)

I heard from somewhere the next Rating Battles Season will have you use only berries; no other hold items allowed. Unnerve will sure come in handy then. XD
    (Although I'm not entitely sure if this is true.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I like Arbok! A lot, actually.

Arbok and its pre-evolution, Ekans, are two of the first snake Pokémon we have had in this franchise, and they tend to stick out to old-time fans majorly, including myself. Their designs are rather straightforward, which I do like, but they also have some features added to their body here and there so they don't look too bland (stripes, for example).

In terms of competitive, I don't find myself utilizing them as much, unfortunately, as their stats aren't precisely astonishing. Perhaps this could be solved once they gain some final evolution form of sorts? Personally, it's something I would definitely like to see; it would be interesting to see how results turn out.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Name: Varys the Galvantula
    Pick two Poison-type Partner Pokémon: Crobat and Gengar
    Reason(s) for liking Poison-types: Poison type had been my favorite type since I was young. Always. I cannot remember why I started to like Poison-types. Maybe it started with Crobat, maybe it was the other way around. It just stuck on me that I like them since time immemorial.
    Answer to current topic: Arboks scares me. I mean, those fake eyes of hers seemed to unnatural to occur in the wild.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • In Pokemon Adventures(PokeSpe) it's shown and stated in the PokeDex at least twice that Arbok has a different pattern on it depending on what area it lives in. I thought that was pretty neat. But I can't figure out how to upload a pic on my phone so I guess I can't help.

Guiz plz I feel liek I'm talking to myself heer it's scary out heer alone

jombii

Years
  • I saw some pics before that even in the gaes, Arbok had different patterns. I just couldn't find the pic again. And I'm too lazy to confirm as of the moment.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    "Arbok is a serpentine Pokémon with purple scales over most of its body. It has a large hood just below its head. On its hood, it has a design much like an angry face, which can come in six variations."

So there are six variations of Arbok patterns then! I'm surprised there weren't more considering that Spinda has a heap of different appearances. Speaking of Pokemon Special, it seems that poison types are portrayed scarier, haha. Whether its because they're mainly used by the evil teams, I feel like the manga portrays them as a lot darker.

About the pokemon itself though, Arbok > Seviper. I feel like they went over the top trying to make Seviper menacing. Its colour scheme while nice, didn't really work out. And Arbok felt like the better pokemon, stat and design wise. The pattern thing's pretty neat too.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • About the pokemon itself though, Arbok > Seviper. I feel like they went over the top trying to make Seviper menacing. Its colour scheme while nice, didn't really work out. And Arbok felt like the better pokemon, stat and design wise. The pattern thing's pretty neat too.

I agree with this statement. It also hurts that Seviper has a higher base stat total and can learn poison fang naturally. I don't think I've used a Seviper because of this. I shouldn't dislike a Poison type but if I had to choose, it'd be Seviper. Cobras are cooler anyways.

Edit: Oh! I've been meaning to ask: can we change the thread title image from a bomb to 'grapes'. It seems we have more options for thread 'pictures' and I think the grapes look perfect. They look like Poison bubbles! Great success.

jombii

Years
  • Seviper and Arbok is both meh for me. I never actually imagined using any of them in my teams. However, Arbok gets plus points because of its anime cry (Chaaaaa-bakbakak, you know what I mean), back sprites, and the pattern differences.

And look at all the Arbok's throughout the generations.

24.png
    24.png
    24.png
    24.png
    24.png
    24.gif
    24.gif

the pattern difference is there. only really subtle.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't mind Seviper too much, to be honest.

Like Arbok, I feel it's got a very simplistic, but not too much as it has stripes surrounded to its body. Alongside, it's not bad when it comes to battling, either, at least in-game; I had used it a few times in my play-throughs of Emerald version, and it was able to help pretty decently.

I'm a fan of how it's got all of this rivalry going with Zangoose and whatnot, as it's a trait we rarely see in Pokémon.

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • Finally hatched my shiny (I hate the term shiny, how about 'glittery'?) Koffing and it took me only 253 tries to do it. right now, I'm saddled with 253 Koffings, most know Psybeam, Painsplit, and destiny bond and all are in love balls. All are named Kaffeine~ and it'd be a shame to release them all. Anyone up for adopting a Koffing?

Kaffeine~

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Finally hatched my shiny (I hate the term shiny, how about 'glittery'?) Koffing and it took me only 253 tries to do it. right now, I'm saddled with 253 Koffings, most know Psybeam, Painsplit, and destiny bond and all are in love balls. All are named Kaffeine~ and it'd be a shame to release them all. Anyone up for adopting a Koffing?

Kaffeine~

Sure. ._.
    Would you like a HA Eevee with Pokerus?
    A couple have Stored Power or Wish and most are in regular PokeBalls GreatBalls or UltraBalls.

(also I caught a shiny Vulpix two nights ago! :D 'Glittery' Buddies!~)

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • Sure. ._.
    Would you like a HA Eevee with Pokerus?
    A couple have Stored Power or Wish and most are in regular PokeBalls GreatBalls or UltraBalls.

(also I caught a shiny Vulpix two nights ago! :D 'Glittery' Buddies!~)

Sure. It doesn't matter to me much! I'm going to double up with them and load them with Pecha Berries, you know, to show mercy on the enemy by using Fling. . . and then use Toxic again. That'll show 'em not to get false hope. I'll be available later today (a couple hours) and I'm going to be breeding some 'foxy' ladies. . . or you know, Ninetales, but whatever. do you have a (Japanese/German/Anywhere but the English speaking channels) male Vulpix? That'd do me swell. Also, designate how many you'd like, because I. . . have more in Pokebank. . . I forgot about them. So tack another 60+ to my Koffing total. To be honest, I wish the alternate colors to Koffing were pink with white smoke, ah oh well.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Sure. It doesn't matter to me much! I'm going to double up with them and load them with Pecha Berries, you know, to show mercy on the enemy by using Fling. . . and then use Toxic again. That'll show 'em not to get false hope. I'll be available later today (a couple hours) and I'm going to be breeding some 'foxy' ladies. . . or you know, Ninetales, but whatever. do you have a (Japanese/German/Anywhere but the English speaking channels) male Vulpix? That'd do me swell. Also, designate how many you'd like, because I. . . have more in Pokebank. . . I forgot about them. So tack another 60+ to my Koffing total. To be honest, I wish the alternate colors to Koffing were pink with white smoke, ah oh well.

Ah no sorry I don't. :(
    I guess I can trade for a few, I have some of the starters from each gen if 3 Eevees doesn't satisfy you. XD
    And I just remembered someone wondertraded me a Phione so I could trade some egga from that.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Anyone remember this moment of chuggaconroy's LP of Pokemon Crystal?

Congrats on the Shiny Koffing by the way! Its sprite isn't that different from its original but I enjoy the purplish blue it takes on, haha.

Haven't seen the anime in a while but that's surprising. Don't pokemon usually just say their name for their cry? (e.g pika pika or osha osha) Still cute though. <3

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Name: Jatin Gupta
    Pick two Poison-type Partner Pokémon: Nidoqueen,Gengar
    Reason(s) for liking Poison-types: I like poison type pokemon because of its ability to block or cause status conditions and resist common moves.the Poison type resists itself, Bug, Fighting, Grass, and Fairy.Additionally,Poison is only one of two types super-effective against Fairy (the other being Steel) :)
    Answer to current topic: i like Arbok because of its shed skin ability(and also Unnerve abilty (hidden ability) ) and also its powerful moves ex- gunk shot and sludge wave move :)

Welcome! I must agree, resisting and causing the Poison status are definitely pluses of the Poison-type.

Name: Varys the Galvantula
    Pick two Poison-type Partner Pokémon: Crobat and Gengar
    Reason(s) for liking Poison-types: Poison type had been my favorite type since I was young. Always. I cannot remember why I started to like Poison-types. Maybe it started with Crobat, maybe it was the other way around. It just stuck on me that I like them since time immemorial.
    Answer to current topic: Arboks scares me. I mean, those fake eyes of hers seemed to unnatural to occur in the wild.

Welcome! Crobat is awesome, so whichever way it ended up, you chose well.

Congrats of the shiny Koffing Coffee! That's definitely an awesome moment. I watched Chuggaa's Crystal LP much later but I must admit that was a pretty awesome moment from it.

I do like Arbok better than Seviper honestly, but Seviper is pretty cool in its own right.

Also, I did change the icon to the grapes. They really do look like poison bubbles, good eye Coffee.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Congrats on getting a hold of your shiny Koffing, Coffee!

I used to have a couple of shiny poison-types before, with my most favorite being Toxicroak (which was in Platinum version). Although its shiny palettes weren't precisely that great (they were a mixture of green and yellow, if I remember right, which wasn't too appealing in my eyes), but have still considered it to be rare as we usually don't find ourselves running into them and whatnot. On top of this, it also had good set of IVs and nature, which is another thing that led me to my fondness of of the Toxicroak in particular.

Unfortunately, I did not remember to transfer this Pokémon to another game before trading my cartridge in, so I wound up losing. Wish I were more careful!

Nakala Pri

I deleted all of my subscriptions then went to Monte Carlo and forgot. I brought sundaes! :D

Topuck: Arbox is AWESOME! =D Not just in Pokemon Stadium, but in the manga and the games. It's nostalgic, awesome and somewhat under-rated. I've yet to use it competitively but from what I can make out it's pretty good! (not quite on Serviper's level but oh well)

I got my first Shiny the other month! =D It was a Gulpin! I named it something weird but it actually had a good move-set and IVs! I was tempted to use it but I can't stand Swalot. xD Reminds me of Hercule Poirot's Luigi-of-a-Brother. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back