• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

10 year old dies after imitating Gaara from Naruto

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
  • Im just wondering where were the parents in all of this if they were actually watching there kidings it probably could have been prevented.Also they have parental warnings that Naruto is for 13 and up so I dont know why they let there kid watch Naruto.I feel sorry for everyone that knows the kid.This is kinda like the story were a kid tried to perform a wrestling move on his sister after watching WWE and killed her it just shows that you shouldnt try and iniminate everything you see I realize kids that age have an over active imaganation but there are plenty of ways that the situation could have been prevented.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I know... it is sad but it IS the parents fault. They didn't pay attention to what their children were watching, and left them unsupervised... A case of bad parenting in my opinion.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
  • Honestly, how can a 10 year old be this stupid? And where were the parents?

I just hope people don't use this to attack all Anime as bad. Like the Porygon seizures, this was a case of the kids (and possibly the parents) being irresponsible or not knowing any better.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • That's kinda...odd. Hm. Never heard something quite like this before. You would think middle schoolers would be a bit smarter than THAT. I mean, sure they do dumb things like smoke pot and stuff (at least, the kids where I live do -_-) but c'mon! Burying your head in a sandbox because apparently you thought that would make you be able to "control sand." That's just ridiculous! This story is tragic, I'll admit. It just shocks me to see how dumb some people really are. -__-;;

-Neko

Edit- Omg I'm sorry peeps, got a bit confuzzled there with the whole age of the kid. xD Yeah. I can imagine a ten year old doing something like that, and I agree with the peeps who say "where were the parents?!" They should have been there. Their carelssness cost them their child's life for christ's sake! I at least hope they got across to other parents about the consequences of not watching..eesh.

Last edited:

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Honestly, how can a 10 year old be this stupid? And where were the parents?

I just hope people don't use this to attack all Anime as bad. Like the Porygon seizures, this was a case of the kids (and possibly the parents) being irresponsible or not knowing any better.

Those Porygon seizures was the anime's fault entirely. No kid would ever know that this particular episode of Pokemon would cause seizures, and niether would their parents. Personal responibility plays a very small role here. It isn't always the viewers fault.

As for the kid, lay off a bit. Sure, it was a tad stupid, but not to a ten year old child. Yeah, yeah, I know you all have siblings or friends or whatever that is ten, or 9, or whatever, and I'm sure that you guys feel they know the difference between smart & dumb, and they even make desisions that you would make, but if that's how you feel, it isn't the ten year old who thinks like you, it is you that think like a ten year old. And that goes towrds you ten or eleven year olds on this site as well. I'll be blunt, don't think that just because your on this site, your as grown as everyone else here. And vice versa. Older people, 15 & up, must recognize that there are young children here. You can use as many big words as you want, you are still talking down a child. I ain't saying that they are stupid, of course not, but they aren't adults, so we should be mindful of that.

Fact is, yeah, he was a kid. Sure, what he did was dumb, but perfectly reasonable for a ten year old. That will always play into affect. When I was young, I used to pretend I was Bulbasaur, and my friend wanted to be Brock. Only thing is, his little game was more fatal. That is why if a child commits a crime, he will not be treated as an adult in almost every case. e will be treated as a juvenile.

Im just wondering where were the parents in all of this if they were actually watching there kidings it probably could have been prevented.Also they have parental warnings that Naruto is for 13 and up so I dont know why they let there kid watch Naruto.I feel sorry for everyone that knows the kid.This is kinda like the story were a kid tried to perform a wrestling move on his sister after watching WWE and killed her it just shows that you shouldnt try and iniminate everything you see I realize kids that age have an over active imaganation but there are plenty of ways that the situation could have been prevented.

Exactly. Ironic, we said almost the same things,and we're the same age (probably, it is the internet :P). Overactive imagination, is all. Ten year olds have it, and it makes em ALL look stupid.

Last edited:

_L_

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2018
    Family members describe Codey, a fifth grader at Silver Firs Elementary School in Everett, as smart and imaginative. Unfortunately, it may have been his imagination that led to his critical situation.

If he was so smart, he would not have died. Let alone, stick his head in a sand box. There's a difference between what people want to believe, and reality.

Quantrille said the other children initially thought Codey, buried from his head to the top of his chest, was joking when he started to thrash around. By the time they got help, the boy had already stopped breathing.

Even though I was pretty stupid at that age, I'm pretty I wouldn't have hesitated to pull the kid out. These are 5th graders we're talking about too, not 2nd graders.

sims796

Years
  • Exactly. Those are the type of comments that I mean, which shows a lack of understanding. Sure, the kid was stupid, but so are all ten year olds-they do stupid things. Does that mean that the kid was stupid? No, he was possibly a straight A student for all I care. But, he is also a ten year old boy, doing stupid things he saw on TV. It's pretty imitatable. At that age, or even 6th grade, I thought I had wind powers because of some weird coincidences. I was what, 12? 13? That's very understandable.

It is also undderstandable that those children had thought their friend was just playing. It's part of the game, for all they knew. Till he stopped moving. Easy to say "Oh crap, he isn't moving! We're in trouble!" etc, until they pull him out.

People on this thread keep trying to relate common sense to 5th graders. Just because they aren't babies, doesn't mean they have a full understanding of common sense. Common sense & ten year olds are polar opposites. I bet if the kid had lived, he would never try to do that again, because he learned better. It's the process of growing up. Kids his age feel they are invincible, and are unaware of the larger picture.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • But be careful of generalizng sims; NOT all ten year olds are "polar opposites" of common sense. I mean, I can understand a ten year old imagining he has those kinda powers, but to go as far as shoving his head in a sandbox and being buried alive...eh, that's kinda stretching it..

-Neko

sims796

Years
  • Well, not straight up STUPID, but you know what I mean. He obviously didn't think his plan through when he did it. I could say that would be dumb, but imitating something you see on naruto would certainly make sense to a ten year old. He obviously didn't try to bury himself dead, it was a conciquence of his childish actions.

I'm just saying, ease up on the kid. If he hadn't of died, it wouldn't be so stupid. Plenty of kids his age try to jump off the roof with a blanket, trying to use it as a parachute. Plain stupid, even for a ten year old. But predictable.

It's no generalization--ten year olds do stupid things. Some more severe than others. That's why there are juvenile laws, so that in most cases, they won't make the same mistakes.

DarthSenorQueso

Officially number 1 snake
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    this is one of the many shows causing kids to do stupid things, I say ban naruto and lucky star(before its tooo late)

And if they imatate that will you take the blame?

Naruto was aimed at teens and then like evertthing U.S. geared it toward a differnt age then intended.

So at a much more infullencial age these kids are watching animie where people die.ALOT.Espically in Shippudan.It gets violent.

sims796

Years
  • And if they imatate that will you take the blame?

Naruto was aimed at teens and then like evertthing U.S. geared it toward a differnt age then intended.

So at a much more infullencial age these kids are watching animie where people die.ALOT.Espically in Shippudan.It gets violent.

This is one of those rare golden posts.

I'm not going to agree with the "everything U.S" part, because there are PLENTY of violent things out there. Loonatics, kung Fu Chickens or whatever it's called, etc.

Thing is, viewer discretion is always advised. As Kenshin said, parents muse pay attention.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with thebolded part. Banning it will doyou no good. Do we ban all violent movies, even though they aaren't meant for kids? Same with kids. Hell, parents are no longer to have relations, in fear that kids may show up. Srsly. Even if they are out the house. That's going too far. Why?

I HAVE NO KIDS.

Therefore, who are you to ban this show, because youhave kids? I don't, and because YOUR kids may watch it, I can't either? Heck no.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • Well, not straight up STUPID, but you know what I mean. He obviously didn't think his plan through when he did it. I could say that would be dumb, but imitating something you see on naruto would certainly make sense to a ten year old. He obviously didn't try to bury himself dead, it was a conciquence of his childish actions.

I'm just saying, ease up on the kid. If he hadn't of died, it wouldn't be so stupid. Plenty of kids his age try to jump off the roof with a blanket, trying to use it as a parachute. Plain stupid, even for a ten year old. But predictable.

It's no generalization--ten year olds do stupid things. Some more severe than others. That's why there are juvenile laws, so that in most cases, they won't make the same mistakes.

It is a generlization though. You're saying ALL ten year olds do stupid things. You don't know every ten year old on this planet, do you? How can you jusy assume they all do stupid things. That's like saying all blacks play/are good at basketball or something like that. >.>

I'm not being too hard on him; I was just saying it was a really stupid thing imo and it kinda shocked me to see someone go that far. It's like someone else had said in this thread; it's a 5th grader, not something like a 2nd grader. It doesn't take that much common sense to know it wasn't really the smartest thing to do if y'know what I mean.

Also... when did Gaara ever bury his head in the sand?? xD

-Neko

sims796

Years
  • Those are two totally different examples, and aren't even remotely related.

Children are children. This is the thing of understanding that I am talking about. You can ask every parent, every policeman, or every singe reasonably smart adult. They will all tell you the same thing. Children are children. Every ten year old child in the world will sooner or later do something stupid sooner or later that will probably get them in trouble. You don't need to know every child, they are children. An adult, a grown up, would easily tell you that. Is that a generlization? No. That is fact. To even try & say otherwise proves that there is a lack of maturity, from anyone.

As such, there are far too many children on this thread to possibly see what I am talking about. As I said, you would suspect a child to jump off the roof with a blanket thinking that they can use it as a parachute. It isn't pure stupidity, it's childish stupidity. It seems like common sense to YOU because you have GROWN UP. To a ten year old, yes, it would be an act that they would try to do. Ask any officer. Any child therapist. Any parent. Any adult. Children do those sorts of things. To even try to compare that to a sterotype is, well, immature. This isn't a matter of sterotype, it's about mentality. A child does NOT have the same mentality as an adult, or a teenager for that matter.

As I said, he didn't do that to TRY & choke himself, he just didn't think his little plan through. He didn't think of the consequences. That's all, plain & simple. A 2nd grader would possibly do much worse. At his age, as I said, I pretended to be Charizard, breathing fire. Me & my friends pretended that we were fighters in Dragon Ball Z, throwing ourfists around till someone got hurt. And why? Because wewere children.

If you have a baby, it will cry. It will poop. It will annoy. that isn't JUST a generalization; IT R FACT. No, common sense. Is that a stereotype? Nope. It is common knowledge. You don'tneed to be a genius to figure that out. Same with that kid. Expect dumb things like that.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • True, I could've chose a better example. I was actually thinking that when posting, but that's what you get for assuming the wrong thing I guess. xD

Ok, so many everybody at least ONCE in their lives have made a stupid mistake, no matter the age. But to say
    Sure, the kid was stupid, but so are all ten year olds-they do stupid things.

That just sounded like you were saying all ten year olds are dumb and make tons of mistake. Which isn't necessarily true.. I mean, yea ok little kids make mistakes. Saying anything more would be generalizing imo, since I know I should've known (me of all people *death*) that yea, everyone makes mistakes. I'll admit you were right in that aspect.. Little kids aren't the only ones who make mistakes, though this went I little far, wouldn't you think? A fine line, like someone before hand mentioned (at least I THINK it was mentioned in this thread. o.O). I mean, sure I know it's common sense. But I'msure that not every ten year old would've done the same, right? I'm not saying exactly the same situation, but that WAS a pretty dumb thing I must say...

-Neko

sims796

Years
  • Yes, dumb indeed,but as I said,he was a child.Sure,everyone makes mistakes, but we can expect a ten year old to make the dumber mistakes.

I will not mince words. I will speak as if I am speaking to an adult. When I say a every child will make a dumb mistake, it means they will make dumb mistakes. That doesn't mean every child will stick their head in the sand, or jump off the roof. But it does mean they will do some very dumb things. My nephew gets in trouble so many times. While trying to be grown,I spilled $12 worth of mouthwash down the drain by mistake. Very dumb indeed, but I was 9. I'm not taking about adults, sure, even they make mistake. But you will never find a grown man trying to stick his head in the sand unless he's either ill, or commiting suicide. I would esxpect a child to do that, while tryiing to immitate his favorite show.

As I said, I am an adult. Yes, when i say that all ten year olds are dumb, I mean that they are childish, not that they will all kill themselves. I won't try to "sound nice", because if you didn't understand what I meant, then you just weren't mature enough mentally to understand. And yes, every single child will do some very stupid things. My friend stoodout in the middle of the street, because he was dared too.His reason? If you are dared,you MUST do it. Stupid, VERY stupid. But those are the schoolyard rules. Is that a generalization? Not only is it a generalization, it is a FACT. Kids aren't that bright. Or, should I say, "mature".

Stop trying to make it seem like kids are as mature as adults. Sure, we all make mistakes, but as I said, a child of ten would make far more stupider mistakes than a man of 18. And far more immature mistakes.

ktn

Years
  • i don't even know y he was allowed to watch naruto it is pg14.and his parents were too irresponsable to let him watch.when i was that age i was not allowed to watch those kind of shows

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • I am not trying to make it seem like kids are as smart as adults. I know they're not. I already admitted I was wrong about the generlization thing, so yea, it's ok to stop now. ;o Tis true children would make dumber mistakes. Though...

As I said, I am an adult. Yes, when i say that all ten year olds are dumb, I mean that they are childish, not that they will all kill themselves. I won't try to "sound nice", because if you didn't understand what I meant, then you just weren't mature enough mentally to understand.

Excuuuusseeee mee priiincess (XD omg zelda *death*) but imo I DO understand, but you just assume everyone thinks "dumb" and "childish" are the same thing. In my opinion, they're different. I can't exactly explain, but they are to me, and I'm certainly entitled to my own opinion, am I not? Please don't say I am not "mentally mature" enough to understand. I would think I am... Wouldn't it irritate you just a bit if someone said that to you though?

sims796

Years
  • I am not trying to make it seem like kids are as smart as adults. I know they're not. I already admitted I was wrong about the generlization thing, so yea, it's ok to stop now. ;o Tis true children would make dumber mistakes. Though...

Excuuuusseeee mee priiincess (XD omg zelda *death*) but imo I DO understand, but you just assume everyone thinks "dumb" and "childish" are the same thing. In my opinion, they're different. I can't exactly explain, but they are to me, and I'm certainly entitled to my own opinion, am I not? Please don't say I am not "mentally mature" enough to understand. I would think I am... Wouldn't it irritate you just a bit if someone said that to you though?

No, that was aimmed towrds everyone, not just you. Your post just happend to be above. Almost everyone else understood what I meant, apparently. As I said, I won't try to spare feelings. This isn't a matter of opinion, at least not this particular thing, so I won't try & sugarcoat words. Either you'r mature enough to get what I'm saying, or your not. And no, I don't mean just you.

Taht was a terrible show, Link wasn't Left handed! That made me cry :(

True, I could've chose a better example. I was actually thinking that when posting, but that's what you get for assuming the wrong thing I guess. xD

Ok, so many everybody at least ONCE in their lives have made a stupid mistake, no matter the age. But to say

That just sounded like you were saying all ten year olds are dumb and make tons of mistake. Which isn't necessarily true.. I mean, yea ok little kids make mistakes. Saying anything more would be generalizing imo, since I know I should've known (me of all people *death*) that yea, everyone makes mistakes. I'll admit you were right in that aspect.. Little kids aren't the only ones who make mistakes, though this went I little far, wouldn't you think? A fine line, like someone before hand mentioned (at least I THINK it was mentioned in this thread. o.O). I mean, sure I know it's common sense. But I'msure that not every ten year old would've done the same, right? I'm not saying exactly the same situation, but that WAS a pretty dumb thing I must say...

-Neko

When you aren't direct, like in this post, expect people to take what you say differently. This...didn't make much sense. Heck, I didn't even know that you admitted anything, except "little kids aren't the only ones who makes mistakes", which made me post again. Confusing...

Back