• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

13 Hangs Himself Over A Nintedo Wii

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
Years
    • Age 26
    • US
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Tanooki News Version:

What did you do the first time you came home, wanting to play your new Wii, but couldn't because the TV was occupied? Jake Roberts, a 13-year-old boy from Scarborough, North Yorkshire (UK) saw his sister watching TV, threw a tantrum, went upstairs, and probably did something a little more extreme than any of you.

The first thing I saw when I walked in to Jake's bedroom was all the paper he had ripped up on the floor during his tantrum. The door was open with his bed to my left behind the door. I was going to tell him off when I turned. It took me a few seconds to register what I was seeing. His school tie was round his neck and he was hung from his cabin bed. I tried to lift him and his tie was attached to a bar on the bed.

Jake died in February. This hasn't been the first Wii-related fatality, but hopefully it will be the last.

Telegraph New Version:

A schoolboy hanged himself with his school tie just hours after his Nintendo Wii was confiscated during a "minor argument" with his parents.

Jake Roberts, 13, stormed upstairs and fastened the tie around his neck and then to his bed. He was found by his father a short while later.

His parents said he could have got the idea by watching a young person hanging themselves on the television programme Casualty.

But a coroner said that Jake had killed himself by accident and there was no evidence he has been influenced by the programme.

I truly feel simpethy for his family right now.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • well with that kind of attitude he really shouldnt be playing video games, unless of course it was an accident. I'm sure he was probably looking around his room for something to do and somehow ended up throwing a tie aroud his neck just for the heck of it.

n3

Some guy
    Years
  • being thin has its merets as well as being fat, however more back to the topic. that boy must have had a bad day or something in order to do something this extreme as it didnt seem like an accednent.

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • You guys, I thought it stated that he was imitating an event from Casualty (a TV Show) and killed himself on accident because he didn't know what to expect. If it were for that reason, I'd feel sympathy for him since he was not exposed to what could happen if he was hung by the neck. If it were for the reason that the Wii was unavailable, then I'd say it was a very stupid mistake. The Wii could be played anytime of the day. Surely his dad isn't going to watch TV for that long.

INFOWARRIOR56

Conspiracy Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2008
    God, you're a jerk.

and Brock Lee, that happens alot XD

Don't feed the troll Arctic.

Poor kid. I wish he had gotten some kind of help before this. My god, this is depressing.

And no, this isn't the first Wii-related fatality. Remember that contest on the radio where a mom died trying to win a Wii by drinking a bunch of water and holding her pee?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I swear this dude is such an hero.

FIGHT 4 THA WII BROTHA

But really. What a stupid reason. Its a wii you can play anytime.

AN HERO

Do you have any sympathy at all? I mean, really. In two threads you're saying that the kids were stupid. Now, how do you know that this kid didn't have an illness? All you know is what the media released. You don't know if that kid had anger management problems, or had any other illness such as that. You're assuming someone is stupid. That's not very respectful, especially to someone who had lost their life at their own hands, which is something upsetting in all parts of the world. I mean seriously, you could at least show a little sympathy. If not for the kid, the parents at best. It's extremely difficult to lose someone at their own hands.

Whether the kid was smart or stupid isn't the topic here now is it? It's about someone losing their life. Being stupid doesn't add to the death rate. There's a difference from being "stupid" and having common sense. Which, like I am stating, the kid had a lot more than just was released by the media about him. You shouldn't assume anything until you know the full story.

All and all, the only side you know of this is the media's side. You don't know what was going on through that kid's mind when he was doing that.

Me a jerk?

This kids life was a waste. 13 years.
    Why chuck it away over a little tiny thing like this.

Also how can he kill himself by accident? He was handing off his bed. It didn't tie like that on its own.

Also it doesn't happen a lot.

That's exactly what your illustrating. From the two posts I've read from you, it seems to me that you're exactly what ArcticGlaceon says. Whether or not you are one isn't my concern. How can he kill himself by accident? Wow, just wow. You're calling people stupid from dying, yet you clearly don't see anything wrong with yourself, now do you? People die accidentally all the time and by their own mistakes. For all you know, he could have just been threatening his life to get something he wants back. For example, you say you're going to kill yourself if you don't get "blank". For all you know, he could have been doing the same thing, thinking someone would follow him before he got a chance to do that. Also, for all you could have known, he could have tied it, and slipped or something. Like I said, you shouldn't be making assumptions over things you don't know. That only makes yourself look both a. a jerk, and b. retarded.

I spent £15 on sweets this weekend dont tell me I dont eat. I also eat 14 burgers a month and im still not fat and loveable

Can you not take a joke?

Last edited by a moderator:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I swear this dude is such an hero.

FIGHT 4 THA WII BROTHA

But really. What a stupid reason. Its a wii you can play anytime.

AN HERO

Dude, cut the 4chan crap out. It isn't funny there; it isn't funny here. No one thinks you're cool for insulting children.

As for the kid, I heard about this. It really sucks that such an enthusiastic and imaginative kid died over something so silly, especially when he already was getting his poetry published.

The parents are NOT at fault at all. Every kid needs some sort of discipline, but this kid did overreact to being punished. No one should take their own life, especially over a game system.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Well they sort of are.
    Yes, I think we all get your opinion by now. As I said, clearly you have absolutely no sympathy for anyone other than yourself. That's a real shame you have to be so harsh to someone who's now dead. How nice of you.. bashing people who are no longer with us. You are so nice!

Have fun with your theory.
    Oh I will, and so will the many others who agree with me. Whether or not it's a theory or the truth, both you and I will not know.

Thats my point. Its at his own hands. He would be alive today if he made the right choice.
    Like I said, you don't know what was going on in his head. Are you some kind of fortune teller or something? Can you predict the future? How do you know he would still be alive? My theory is so much more reasonable than you simply calling a dead little boy stupid.

Maybe I've lost someone in this way before. I mean I haven't because no one I know is that stupid
    There are many ways to die from your own hands. An example would be overdosing. That is how my mother passed away. I take it my mother is stupid?

This is called a discussion. We can discuss anything regarding this topic. Being stupid is part of this topic.
    This is called thinking outside of the box. It is when you elaborate on a subject and think of the reasons as to why this had happened. You should try it some time.

I just dont see how anyone can think this is an accident.
    Okay then, if it isn't an accident, then it's suicide. Have fun bashing people who committed suicide. I'm sure that will get you places in life. :3

Im not saying they dont. Im saying this kid didnt die from an accident
    And you know that how? Were you there watching him -- oh wait, I forgot, your psychic.

I have and never will say that. Why make someone worry about nothing.
    Clearly you didn't see "for example" and "you" was speaking rehtorically.

So what if I'm retarded. Im obviously smarter then these brats who take thier own life for nothing but a fricken wii.
    Kay.. again talking about yourself. You shouldn't be calling anyone other than yourself a brat because that's clearly what you are. What you're saying is insulting many people. Try going up to the parents of the child and saying to them "Your kid was stupid."

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Dude, cut the 4chan crap out. It isn't funny there; it isn't funny here. No one thinks you're cool for insulting children.

As for the kid, I heard about this. It really sucks that such an enthusiastic and imaginative kid died over something so silly, especially when he already was getting his poetry published.

The parents are NOT at fault at all. Every kid needs some sort of discipline, but this kid did overreact to being punished. No one should take their own life, especially over a game system.

It is sad how someone would just take their life for something so minor as this. -sigh-

I'll keep this kid's family in my prayers. I do wonder, however, if Nintendo knows about this. I mean, they're not at fault, but...still.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • This kids life was a waste. 13 years.

...HAHA wow that was the lowest thing I've seen you say so far. Not ONLY are you calling them stupid for dying in an accident, you say their lives were a waste too.

Who do you think you are? Don't reply to this with some stupid snarky comment either. What gives you the idea you can talk about people who died like that? Get over yourself, you're wrong. End of story.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Zanacross said:
    So what if I'm retarded. Im obviously smarter then these brats who take thier own life for nothing but a fricken wii.

How insensitive can you get, seriously? That is probably the rudest (and that's just a nice way putting it) thing I've ever heard regarding something so serious.

Kudos to Letturs for his post, he's made excellent points throughout. Zanacross, you don't know the full story. Like he said, you only know what the media has released. Avoid making asinine statements like you have been for the past two threads. You're accusing these kids of being "brats?" Look at yourself and what you're saying about these poor children. Who's the real "brat" here?

Do you understand how hard it is to lose someone? I mean, it must be immensely difficult to lose someone so close to you, especially your own child. Do you think you're helping anything by posting such disrespectful comments about something so serious? If you were to say what you've been saying to the grieving parents, what do you think would happen, Zanacross?

Just think about what you've said in these two threads. Do you think you're being at all respectful?

sandcrawler

slacking off in my spare time.
    Years
  • Do you understand how hard it is to lose someone? I mean, it must be immensely difficult to lose someone so close to you, especially your own child. Do you think you're helping anything by posting such disrespectful comments about something so serious? If you were to say what you've been saying to the grieving parents, what do you think would happen, Zanacross?

Meh, it's a boy I never knew. Darwin award nominee? If it was my brother/son/relative I'd be more reactive.

I dunno, kids these days are so emotionally volatile that it seems to make the news. Let me guess, next we'll have 'BABY THROWS TANTRUM; HURTS THROAT.'

Years
  • Zanacross said:
    Me a jerk?

This kids life was a waste. 13 years.
    Why chuck it away over a little tiny thing like this.

Also how can he kill himself by accident? He was handing off his bed. It didn't tie like that on its own.

Also it doesn't happen a lot.
    ...HAHA wow that was the lowest thing I've seen you say so far. Not ONLY are you calling them stupid for dying in an accident, you say their lives were a waste too.

Who do you think you are? Don't reply to this with some stupid snarky comment either. What gives you the idea you can talk about people who died like that? Get over yourself, you're wrong. End of story.

I think you might have taken it the wrong way. I think Zanacross meant the kid's death was a waste of a life.

Regardless, I feel sorry for the kid and family, but nothing can be done, now.

Mr. Curling Iron

u kujw bux :d
    Years
  • :( awwe
    You guys are insulting Zana :(

the #irc dudeee xD

well; lets face it, people are IDIOTS these days ==

You wanna hang yourself over a bloody Wii, well, your fault, you buy your kid a Wii and he hangs himself over the Wii, you should have known it was coming. If your kid is that obsessed with video games... then why are you buying him a WHOLE CONSOLE?

gosh, and all you people who are flaming Zana have no place... Yeah, he's being a jerk but so are you...

The mods took care of it anyway... And I dont feel sympathy for that kid because he had issues... he now solved them.
    If the incident wasn't his fault, or was a game (like the 10 year old kid who tried to immitate gaara) i would understand... but the kid was 13, had a functional brain, [maybe a little hormones] but its all his fault. It wasnt accidental, so big deal. If we made such a commotion over every suicide in the word, we would all be scared at home and would put safety-bars everywhere.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • But a coroner said that Jake had killed himself by accident and there was no evidence he has been influenced by the programme.

If you ask me, they're just blaming this on the Wii for sensation, because the media loves to blame, oddly enough, the media.

It's pretty depressing stuff like this happens; I don't think there's much that can done, though. It does seem weird to me that this would be an accident, though; who ties themselves by the school tie and hangs themselves from the bed accidentally? I don't really think people snap that easily; maybe there were things going on in that boy's life that people around weren't aware of, and that was the Last Straw.

Back