• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st - 2nd gen pokes

Fusionx

Capable Hacker
    Years
    when pokemon red & blue first came out. we were all excited.

the pokemon were based off real life animals and things ect..

the 2nd gen pokemon were even more amazing. i dont have to tell you guys that

but what i want to know is. do you guys feel like the pokemon got worse and worse over the new games. they keep getting more advanced and more i dont know.. but i think the first and 2nd gen were the best. and as they keep making new pokemon i honnestly think there getting more and more un-original..

anyone think the same?

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
    Totally, I mean they were all carefully designed in the first series/games now we've got 4 or so different variations of Pidgey, starter Pokemon and Legendaries etc.

We've had Pokemon who've protected stuff, created time, space, the world! Now what?

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I loved the Pokemon of R/B/Y that I cannot deny. When G/S came out I thought the new Pokemon were kind of lame, but maybe I was just wasnt used to the idea of new Poke's at that point but I grew to really like some of them. When R/S came out I kept a more open mind about its new Pokemon and liked them just like I do with G/S.
    Unfortunately I cant really say the same for Gen IV and V Pokemon, I know that its hard to keep a series fresh for this long but I just have a hard time finding Pokemon that I like, I dont mean to sound rude but it feels like they're running out of ideas.

Kelp

<3
    Years
    Contrary to popular opinion, I continue to like the new games and new pokemon more than the old. There's nothing to cure the boredom of summer like the revealing of new pokemon, and new gameplay footage. Sure some of the pokemon may be cheesy, but they do come out with some interesting pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    ok this how i see it. they should not have made gen 5 because they already made a god pokemon arceus. now they dont have much left to make a legendary on unless they make it useless and not have an important story like mew and mewtwo.the new water starter in gen 5 is a remake of piplup they just changed the animal. gen 1 and 2 were the best and had good ideas as time went on it felt like the company was running out of ideas and are copying pokemon from gen 1 and 2 but altering them

Years
    A lot of people complain about new legendaries, but they'd probably be complaining if it was three elementals for the last 5 generations as well.
    As far as the Pokemon go, I respect the 1st and 2nd, and they're the most nostalgic for me. I can go as far to say, however, some of my favorite Pokemon are in the 4th and 5th generations, such as the Shinx evolution line, Buizel, and Shaymin is pretty cool too. I cant forget Tsutaja and Gear, they're epic.

Years
    I think that a legendary pokemon now a days is rather ho-hum.

Didn't they add like 13 new legendaries in G4... Gosh, g5 may get a little out of hand.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    There are Pokemon from each generation that I love more than anything, and some that I despise. I don't think they got unoriginal. I think they got more original, if anything. It's just that we miss the simplicity of designs in the first and second generations. That's just what I think.

I'mma move this to Pokemon General, since it's more about the Pokemon in...general...haha. Sorry if there's already a topic for this, Muyi. :( -moves anyway-

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
    I will agree to disagree.

Some of the newer generation Pokemon are a little iffy.

But you have to take into consideration, there ARE many different types of birds in the world that are quite similar.

There are many legendary and mythical creatures in the real world, more so than that of the Pokemon world.

If I had it my way, Pokemon would have enough legend and myth to back up each continent.

Count Kanto and Johto as one continent with their 251 Pokemon.
    Hoenn with its 135 Pokemon.
    And Sinnoh with its 107 Pokemon.
    And now, Isshu with its whatever number Pokemon.

Just because each new generation seems to ruin the last, you need to take into consideration that it's a different part of the world, with its own legends and myths, different beliefs to those on other continents in the Pokemon world.

Just because Arceus is said in The Legend of Sinnoh to have created the Universe, that is not to deter any other continent from having its own version of a "God" Pokemon.

Mew, for instance, is the ancestor or "all Pokemon".
    This basically means Mew carries the genetic code for all of the Pokemon.
    Mew may very well surpass Arceus. But we don't have a backing story big enough behind Mew because Pokemon was only getting off to a start back then.

Just as Ireland has Banshees and Chinese has Shang-Yang(Rain bird), Pokemon's different parts of the world will have their own mythological creatures.
    Arceus being God is mostly a Sinnoh belief and does not really extend beyond that region.

Mew, in Kanto, is still believed to the most powerful and "God"-like Pokemon of its region.

So take it in your stride and just go with what I go with...
    Each continent has its own belief systems, its own myths and legends.
    Its own way of telling a story and representing us with new creatures.

I like to take each new generation and take it for what it has given us.
    Different stories. Different adventures. Different creatures.
    We shouldn't discriminate one against the other.

Although, in the hardest fan, this is a belief not easily taken on.
    I've been with Pokemon since Day 1. And I will stick with it to Day Last.
    This means supporting the newer generations as they come, no matter what.

But hey, that's just me. Each to their own, I say.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I dislike how many legendaries there are....I actually like the legends, I just don't think they should all be legends...but, as a Gen III player, I can honestly say I like the new. And the old. Well, really, I like them all, bar the bugs. Bugs in real life scare me to death, so I just...can't come to like pokemon bugs

Years
    I agree somewhat that the newer Pokemon do look a bit strange. I didn't like Generation 3 Pokemon at first but I got used to them. Gen 4 doesn't look that bad either. It's actually the Legendaries that look the strangest. They look like Yu-Gi-Oh monsters IMO.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    andrew about your acreus belief. its not just the shinnoh region, in heaqrt gold and soul silver it shows how arceus created plakia and dialga and girtina, which make up time,space, and other dimension. so thats pretty much created the world of pokemon and pretty much the world itself, making arceus god

Peach Fresca

Underrated Pokémon Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2010
    I think that a legendary pokemon now a days is rather ho-hum.

Didn't they add like 13 new legendaries in G4... Gosh, g5 may get a little out of hand.
    15 if you count the sky/origin formes... What WILL g5 have? 20? o-o

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    They aren't making enough pokemon that look... well natural, like many just look like machines eg. Groudon and Palkia and Probopass. I wish more pokemon were based on animals. I wish more were based on Australian animals and plants. Australia has the widest variety of flora and fauna on the planet so there are so many animal ideas available.

I have high hopes for the 6th gen (Isshu region obviously) As many if not all of the pokemon that have been revealed have been based on animals. like we have had sunfish, crocodile (yay Australia), eagle, piranhah, monkey and otter and pig etc.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I believe each generation has well designed and badly designed Pokémon.

The people who continue to disapprove of Generation III designs seem as if they'd be any more approving of Pokémon like Jynx, Mr.Mime, Grimer, Muk, Hitmonchan, Onix, etc. if they'd been released as Gen III, and Gen III Pokémon as Gen I.
    Mind you I'm not saying these Pokémon are badly designed, just that they're prominently human or appear uninspired. Can you imagine if Muk came out as part of gen VI?
    Oh my god it's just purple slime, the Pokémon designers have run out of creativity this gen sucks!!

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
    Sincerely, I think only one Pokémon has failed so far: Miruhoggu.

Aside from that, I still prefer the older designs than most of the newer ones because they were completely original and not clones like some of the newer ones.

Deathshot

Unregistered User
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2019
    Pretty much, After Gold and Silver, I quit playing because they kept adding more and more giving them less and less detail imo.

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
    when pokemon red & blue first came out. we were all excited.

the pokemon were based off real life animals and things ect..

the 2nd gen pokemon were even more amazing. i dont have to tell you guys that

but what i want to know is. do you guys feel like the pokemon got worse and worse over the new games. they keep getting more advanced and more i dont know.. but i think the first and 2nd gen were the best. and as they keep making new pokemon i honnestly think there getting more and more un-original..

anyone think the same?
    I don't think the new gen's are getting worse. It's probably just the fact that it's the same storyline over and over again. It's what makes the newer ones feel "unoriginal".

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
    I actually started liking the generation 4 Pokemon instantly,not like the most people. I think gen.4 still had a very good design. The gen.2 pokes were the best for me. They were curious and simple. I don't like the gen.5 pokemon now,but i'm sure that i'll start liking them after some time. ^^
    EDIT: Wtf? Already 50 posts?! O.o
    @down
    I do prefer Togekiss due to it's moves and stats, I absolutely HATE its design...it's a fat angel bird thing, I prefer the design of Togetic a lot more
    I absolutely agree with you. I hate Togekiss too,that's why i have an Togetic in my team. It's sad that Togekiss learns great attacks and has heaps better stats. >_>

Last edited:

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
    ...I actually don't mind some of the completely new families of Pokemon, it's just all the damn Legendaries (Darkrai & Giratina are the only Sinnoh Legendaries that I can really tolerate...all the others can go burn in hell) AND THE DAMN NEW PRE EVOLUTIONS AND EVOLUTIONS!!! (I will admit though I do prefer Togekiss due to it's moves and stats, I absolutely HATE its design...it's a fat angel bird thing, I prefer the design of Togetic a lot more)

So as long as they're tame about how many new legendaries, pre-evolutions, and new evolutions of existing Pokemon that they add I should be okay.....I WILL KILL NINTENDO/GAMEFREAK IF THEY GIVE AN EVOLUTION TO FARFETCH'D!!!!

Back