• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Ed Dark Charizard Fake or just Discolored ??

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    Hey everyone, first post on the forum.
    I bought a 1st edition Holo Dark Charizard on ebay. Everything on the card looks legit to me (the foil, the 1st edition stamp, the font of the text, the black line that separates the border on the back...) but half of the card is discolored on the back. As you can see the color of "Pokémon" is closer to white than yellow and the blue is really light. The other half of the card looks normal. First time I see a card like this.
    Is it a fake, a discoloration caused by light/heat/sunlight (Hard to believe since the card is in mint condition and was stored in a hard cover since day 1 according to the seller...), or just some kind of misprint ?

https://picpaste.com/DSC_7929-jQIw9WjV.JPG

https://picpaste.com/DSC_7931-blaxZEaW.JPG

https://picpaste.com/DSC_7932-PR3pvgDN.JPG

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    Most people probably had a busy Saturday.

What it looks like to me is sun discoloration, but that doesn't mean it actually is. Also, storing it in a hard plastic cover doesn't mean it's protected from sunlight.

Thanks for your help. So it was probably caused by the sunlight or what else could it be ? A factory misprint ? It is definitely not a fake tho' right ? I got it for 15 euros I hope it's not a bad deal. It's in near mint condition except the discoloration.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Thanks for your help. So it was probably caused by the sunlight or what else could it be ? A factory misprint ? It is definitely not a fake tho' right ? I got it for 15 euros I hope it's not a bad deal. It's in near mint condition except the discoloration.

Either it isn't a fake or it is an amazing fake. The font matches a little too well for that.

So Don seems to be right as usual, Sun discoloration seems like the most likely candidate.

RocketGrunt1337

RocketGrunt1337
    Years
    Either it isn't a fake or it is an amazing fake. The font matches a little too well for that.

So Don seems to be right as usual, Sun discoloration seems like the most likely candidate.

I'm going to have to agree and say sun discoloration. It looks to amazing on the front to be a fake in my opinion.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    15 Euros was a pretty good price for it, a little bit of fading doesn't ruin the card so I'd say you got quite the bargain

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    15 Euros was a pretty good price for it, a little bit of fading doesn't ruin the card so I'd say you got quite the bargain

Sounds great ! Yeah 15 euros is generally the price of a normal Holo Dark Charizard, or the price of another pokemon 1st edition holo card. My Rocket 1st edition is almost complete now ;)

ChaddyCFC

Veteran PokéNerd
    Years
    I don't think I'd go anywhere near it if it had sun discolouration, front or back. Might just be me, but I'm pretty picky when picking up rare cards haha. I can't see a collecter buying this from you, if they're serious about it, but if it's for your own collection and it doesn't bother you, all is good.

Last edited:
    Back