• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 2DS or 3DS?

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    I have a launch day aqua blue 3DS that I'm planning to replace with a blue Pokémon X and Y 3DS XL at Christmas which I'll play Pokémon Y with.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    The 2ds is simply a version for younger kids; they removed the primary breaking point, and a feature that alienated them (3d being a feature you can't access when you're 7-). There's really no point to getting one if you're older and already have one, unless you plan on tossing your 2ds all over the place, or prefer the lower price. Any feelings that it has a diffrence significant enough to get one along with your 3ds is just clever marketing by nintendo.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've already got my 3DS from the release date back in 2011, I was tempted to get the Limited edition 3DS XL last month, but my current 3DS is still in perfect working order.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • My grandma got me a 3DS XL in February, I wanted one specifically for X&Y, so I am ready for the games. Originally I had been wanting to save $40 every month to get one (I would have enough for one in September).

Emfg

Ohlong
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    Already got a 3DS for my birthday like a year ago with Mario Kart 7. Been waiting for Pokemon Y ever since it was announced. Seeing as I already finished Mario kart 7, and the online races are pretty boring (the game was a let down for me tbh) I really cannont wait D:

ProjectMisfit

The fear of an inconceivable ending.
    Years
  • I have a perfectly fine blue 3DS XL, but I'm going to buy the 2DS. Just to support it, since I do. It's a cheaper solution for kids+People who can't handle the 3D. Plus it's built to be more durable. So I'll probably take it on my vacation trips and stuff with family. Would be a good backup too, in case my 3DS has an accident.

Years
  • Already have a 3DS XL, whee. Though I certainly would have loved to purchase a Pokemon X/Y 3DS just to have it.. though it's a little out of my price range at the moment.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I already have a 3DS XL now, so I think I'll play Pokemon X and Y with my 3DS XL, even though I wish to afford to buy the X and Y Special Edition of 3DS XL.

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2016
    My boyfriend's friend sold his almost brand new 3DS to me a few months ago for 1/3 of it's original price, but if he hasn't made such a good offer I would totally buy a 2DS since it's cheaper.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • The 2ds is simply a version for younger kids; they removed the primary breaking point, and a feature that alienated them (3d being a feature you can't access when you're 7-). There's really no point to getting one if you're older and already have one, unless you plan on tossing your 2ds all over the place, or prefer the lower price. Any feelings that it has a diffrence significant enough to get one along with your 3ds is just clever marketing by nintendo.

Hm, koff~

I don't think that is completely true. I'm definitely not a kid, and I still believe that 3D for gaming was a gimmick altogether; shooters in 3D, driving games in 3D, puzzles in 3D, it was ridiculous. The problem was that everyone should take a break from the screen, but they don't, and I think it really hurt the 3D aspect for gaming. I enjoyed the game I was allowed to much better with the 3D turned off than on. Since I don't like playing on a flat surface (and since Pokemon X Version will only include 3D options during battles) and as it shifts while clicking buttons, it's very annoying to have to correct the screen yourself. Also, the clam design is going stale for me, so this will kick up the dust a bit, koffi~

Years
  • I decided to get a 3DS XL when X and Y were announced and ended up picking one up a few months later and have since enjoyed Fire Emblem, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing while I've been waiting for X and Y. Even if I could do it over again, I'd stick with the XL. Though it's not critical to my choice I like the 3D effect, and even more so I like the larger screen, and I have big pockets so I can still carry it around. For me, that is worth the extra cost over a 2DS.

Years
  • I have the regular 3DS and the XL one, and I have both games, X & Y, when I play in XL it hurts my eyes, it isn't so great, the small one (regular one) is much better and easy on the eyes ^_^

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    Don't have either yet. I played on a family friend's 3ds xl and thought it was pretty cool, although it felt identical in ergonomics to my current ds lite and DSi. However the 3ds made my eyes feel funny, and considering my eyesight is deteriorating by the day (my new glasses almost aren't working anymore) I don't think I should really use any 3d features.

Plus $100 cheaper for the 2ds does sound nice. I just have to pick one up and get a feel for it first

Zethremar

Entirely Uninteresting
    Years
  • I pre-ordered a 3DS XL Pokemon X and Y Blue for myself, it will be my first upgrade since buying my DSi, having a larger screen is just really appealing to me plus you know new shiny thing buy buy buy!

Sirfetch’d

I bought a 3DS specifically for X&Y so I will definitely be using it. I want to get the full experience out of the games and I don't feel like I could do that with the 2DSs. I also just prefer the design and portability of a 3DS over the 2DS.

Back