• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming Challenge

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Day 30 - Your favorite game of all time

I couldn't possibly imagine picking only one, so I'll pick a bunch! ;)

Half-Life 2, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario RPG, Majora's Mask

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Squeaking in late with like a week's worth of answers...

Day 21 - Game with the best story.

Oh, right, this is why I stopped answering daily again. I couldn't decide on this one.

I think I might go with Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season 1. It's not really a plot-based story, but a character-based story and it weaves it into the gameplay so well. You really care about what's happening to your main character and the people around him. It just tells the story so phenomenally and immerses you so well.​

Day 22 - A game sequel which disappointed you.

Mmm, I guess I'll go with Assassin's Creed: Revelations because it's the game that killed my interest in the series 100%. I loved every game before this one and this one was just so disappointing. I can't even remember why, now. I just remember not having a lot of fun and then using that as my base point for not getting Assassin's Creed III or any games that came after it. :(
    Day 23 - Game you think had the best graphics or art style.

Ohhh dear so many.... This is going to be an annoying one with multiple answers, sorry.

First up, I've gotta say Okami. It really felt like you were playing a moving painting. It was such a beautiful game and the scenery was fantastic. I love the visuals in the game and how well they fit into the painting gameplay motif. It's gorgeous. Please play it.

A runner-up is Paper Mario. It's adorable and the stylistic take on the characters means it's aged so well. I can go back and play the first game and it still looks fantastic to this day.

Yet another game is Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective because its animations are so cool! They're lineless and very fluid, and watching the characters move around is such a treat. The dialogue happens with bust sprites iirc, and those character designs are really fun too. In all it's just a really fun game to play through because it looks so good on DS.

And lastly I'm gonna say Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP because it's the first time a pixel-art game has dropped my jaw so far. It's BEAUTIFUL. The scenery is just gorgeous and I loved getting to a new area just to be able to take it all in. The characters are really simplistic pixel art. There's not a lot of room for detail but they still manage to cram so much in. It's so impressive and so pretty.

(Honourable mentions go to the Katamari series, Catherine, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Bioshock, and Telltale's Walking Dead.)
    Day 24 - Favorite classic game.

Ummm... how far back counts as classic? I kind of want to assume it means "before my time" because I started with Gameboy/N64, so by that definition I'll say Chrono Trigger. Even though I've only played the DS version, I think it's a pretty direct port.
    Day 25 - A game you plan on playing.

God, so many. But this year, my tentative goal is to try to play all the mothership games in the Tales series that I haven't touched yet. Sooo for me that means Phantasia, Destiny, Destiny 2, Rebirth, and Legendia. Might try to fit in Tempest, but it's technically a side game. That seems like a lot but in the last year I've played 4, not even counting replays, so I think it's doable!
    Day 26 - Best voice acting.

Umm... I mostly play JRPGs and I like playing dubs which are usually terrible in that genre because no one takes it very seriously. So I'm not really sure what to answer for this. For me, if the voice acting (and especially voice direction) is good, it doesn't actually stand out to me at all. So unfortunately, I can't really answer this. :(
    Day 27 - Most epic scene ever.

Mmmmmmmmmm... I think I will say the opening of Final Fantasy X, where you see Sin destroy Zanarkand because it really sets the tone of the game and gives you a reason to fear the Big Bad. It's such a cool scene and as a way to make you go "hey, look at this game and get invested in it!", it really works.
    Day 28 - Favorite game developer.

I think I've gotta say Square-Enix. They make a lot of series/games that I like, and right now I think they have a pretty good fanservice to game ratio. Like, their DLC isn't over-the-top, they do come out with games that fans actually want quite often, and I don't think the quality varies too much between releases. I generally feel pretty safe buying an S-E game because I know I'm going to like it, and that's enough to be marked as my favourite.

Telltale should be pretty high too, but I haven't really played very many games from them. :(​

Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving.

Bioshock, definitely! When I bought my 360, it came with it for free as part of a promotion, but I picked up other games at the same time because I had no interest in it. My brother played it, though, and sometimes I'd sit in the room while he did and I really loved how the game looked, so I gave in and played it myself. It ended up being one of my favourite 360 games of all and it's definitely my favourite shooter. Its artbook is one of my favourite artbooks I own.
    Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep: Final Mix. HD, if we're being specific, because it means I got my Japanese voices back and didn't have to put up with terrible-English-voice-actor Aqua. :') I've talked about this a lot in other threads and I don't really have time to repeat myself right now, but this game means a lot to me for a number of reasons and the number of hours I can still pour into it is nothing short of amazing.​

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I kept going in here and reading answers and thinking "I should really post here soon". And now I missed all thirty days. Oops :X Here are my much delayed responses. Enjoy

Day 1 - Very first video game.
    I... don't know. I was three and my Dad came home from a business trip from the U.S. with a NES. We only had four games: Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt, Blades of Steel, Tetris, and Sesame Street 123. I'm pretty sure we had all of those at the same time (Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt being part of the NES Action Set, Blades of Steel I imagine my Dad got at purchase because he needed a sports game for him, Sesame Street was probably for me, and I have no idea where Tetris came from. So... one of those I played first as wee little lad.

Day 2 - Your favorite character.
    I'm sorry to say that characters don't really resonate for me. And to be fair, that's largely because of the kinds of games I tend to play. There are characters I'll gravitate though when playing something, or look forward to when replaying (like... I dunno Jade's sass in Tales of the Abyss, or Linebeck's everything in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Issun in the Ōkami games, Professor Layton's general demeanour, GLaDOS and Cave Johnson in the Portal games, etc.). I'll be like "ah, yes. Thank god. It's you again". But once I've wrapped up the game, they kinda leave my mind unless I have to fill out something like this XD

But as I'm playing Ace Attorney Trilogy right now, and it's prevalent in my mind, I'm going to say Phoenix Wright. I like his inner monologue and his reactions to absurd goings-ons around him. Often in-line with my own.

Day 3 - A game that is underrated.
    Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. This game didn't get a fair shake, twice over. The original game got severely overlook (including by your's truly) because it had to be played with the GameCube drums. And following Donkey Kong, like... no one really cared about DK any more. Later it was rereleased with improved controls for the Wii. But, it was released in the Wii's dark era. Bad turn after Wii Music, resorted to releasing Wii ports. Plus still some dislike over it not being Donkey Kong Country. But unlike a lot of the Wii ports, this was like a remake. A much improved control scheme (but still shuned because Wii waggle hate, but compared to the drums this was much more traditional and wonderfully fluid), edited levels, and new levels. It was like a director's cut. And it is one of the finest and original platformers I have ever played (the combo system is wonderful). And the first game by Nintendo's EAD Tokyo team - a real sign of the good things to come.

Day 4 - Your guilty pleasure game.
    Ghostbusters: The Video Game. This is a real love letter to the Ghostbusters fans and fandom, which I am apart of. The films, the comic books, the old cartoon shows. This game embraces all of it like a warm hug. The writing and voice acting is fantastic. Written by the original Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, from bits and pieces of rejected Ghostbusters 3 scripts over the years. They also voice their old roles of Ray Stantz and Egon Spengler, respectively, alongside Bill Murray as Peter Venkman and Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddemore. William Atherton even returns as Walter Peck. The dialogue is non-stop and dripping with dry humour and leaves me with a big grin on my face every time I play it. And the gameplay is a lot of fun too. A little repetitive, but the mechanics for bustin' ghosts works just as you would expect or hope. Plus it features a lot of Elmer Bernstein's ethereal score from the original movie. Just good times all around.

Day 5 - Game character you feel you are most like (or wish you were).
    I really don't know. Sorry

Day 6 - Most annoying character.
    Fi in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Say what you will about Navi, she's at least kind of helpful. Fi is not. At all. Fi is the devil. Fi will drive you nuts. She has a horrible, literally robotic personality. At times you're not sure if she's spoofing herself or just a horribly written character. I know I have to open that chest. Leave me alone already lady

Day 7 - Favorite game couple.
    Kafei and Anju from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. This intricate side quest delivers quite the rewarding payoff. And the more you interact with them and those around them the more you learn about them and the more invested in their lives you become. They run the gamut of a relationship. Anju has doubt of her fiance and fear of whatever the truth of his disappearance may be. That he might have run off and had an affair with her best friend the attractive farm girl. But she is faithful and trusting and determined. And coordinates with Link to find the truth. Anju similarly, due to his cursed circumstances is filled with shame and fear. And in the end the forgive and accept each other.

I don't ship, but still from the Zelda series I kinda always like Link and Marin/Malon

Day 8 - Best soundtrack.
    Too many to list. There are some truly great scores. Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VI, Mario Kart 8, Metroid Prime, Banjo-Kazooie. To name a few. They all do their own thing and do it exceptionally well. And they're all so different for each other. I could praise all of them in-depth. But I've spent too long writing this post already, so oh well

Day 9 - Saddest game scene.
    Again, I don't play a whole lot of story driven games. Umm, umm, uhh... the Link and Saria departure scene on the bridge in Ocarina of Time was the first time I played something and a cinematic approached a movie. It's touching and sad.

Day 10 - Best gameplay.
    I gave this a lot of thought because I like a lot of different things. I'm picking Metroid Prime. That game is simply a master class of game design. The gameplay is mesmerizing, engrossing, and immersive.

Day 11 - Gaming system of choice.
    I have fond memories of the N64 days. But really, I'm having a heck of a lot of fun with my Wii U right now.

Day 12 - A game everyone should play.
    I mean... it's gotta be Jungle Beat after all I said about it, right?

Really, Super Mario Bros.. If you have somehow never played it, you have to. Gaming history.

Day 13 - A game you've played more than five times.
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Banjo-Kazooie. I've played these waaaaaay too many times. Countless times. Like, I honestly have no idea how many times I've played these through to completion. Far more than I should have

Day 14 - Current (or most recent) gaming wallpaper.
    I am horribly sad and lazy person, I put on a neutral wallpaper the last time I had my computer serviced for something and I haven't switched it since @__@ I think I downloaded some Pokemon ones shortly before though

Day 15 - Post a screenshot from the game you're playing right now.

Day 16 - Game with the best cut scenes.
    Mass Effect series. That is the most plot heavy thing I've played so the cut scenes are sorta essential.

Day 17 - Favorite antagonist.
    The Wind Waker's Ganondorf. He's my favourite version of that character. He's smart and thoughtful and cunning. Not just his usual role as a big bad at the end of the game.

Day 18 - Favorite protagonist.
    Red, from Pokémon. Playing that game, you are the trainer. The first time I played Pokémon, it was magical. So, my favourite protagonist is myself.

Day 19 - Picture of a game setting you wish you lived in.
    I don't want to live there, but visiting Kokiri Forest would be neat. I only want to live in cities. Like, modern cities.

Day 20 - Favorite genre.
    I'm going to keep it vague and say "adventure". lol Covers my core franchises - Mario, Zelda, Metroid. But I like pretty much everything except sports and sadly, most JRPGs.

Day 21 - Game with the best story.
    Again Mass Effect. To plan all of that out with all the branches is just mind-blowing. I cared about the characters and what was going on. Everything was fleshed out. Some terrific science fiction

Day 22 - A game sequel which disappointed you.
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Boring, boring, boring game. It fixes some of what was wrong with Phantom Hourglass, and Zelda herself is great in it. But otherwise, this is a game without a soul. It has no purpose existing. Nothing was fun to explore. I didn't care about doing anything. The music is incredibly forgettable.

Day 23 - Game you think had the best graphics or art style.
    Ōkami, Paper Mario (the original), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Mario Kart 8.

These are all drop-dead gorgeous games that have graphics and aesthetics that fit the game perfectly. Ōkami is a beautiful living work of art for you to explore. Paper Mario is adorably charming. The Wind Waker is timeless. Mario Kart 8 looks far better than it has any right to.

Day 24 - Favorite classic game.
    I've been playing a lot of these lately. But nothing tops my childhood. Yoshi's Island is something everyone should play (yes, I know I said SMB earlier). The level design, art style (I should probably mention it in the question above, but meh), and music is perfect. A wonderfully unique platformer with fun mechanics.

Day 25 - A game you plan on playing.
    I've said it for probably close to a decade now, but one day I will play Kingdom Hearts. Mark my words.

Day 26 - Best voice acting.
    Mass Effect. Because. The game would fall apart if it didn't have good voice acting.

Also, Professor Layton. All the voices are simply perfect

Day 27 - Most epic scene ever.
    Link stabbing Ganondorf in the head in The Wind Waker

Day 28 - Favorite game developer.
    Right now, its Nintendo Tokyo EAD

Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving.
    Braid. 'cause I have a little bit of an indie stigma.

I don't have a favourite. I love Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, Pikmin, and Metroid Prime, all equally.

…I got tired towards the end of this and might revisit and elaborate

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Day 30 - Your favorite game of all time.

Is "I don't have one" an acceptable answer..? :P I know many of you guys posted several favorites, but I dunno - I either have too many or none, as I can't single a few out as the best games I've ever played or anything like that.

This is literally the only day where I don't have a real answer.

Back