• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming Challenge

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    Day 29, A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving

When it comes to a game that falls under this category for me would have to be Tales of Vesperia. I recall the first time I played it, I was sure it was not a good game. It was not until I first saw Judith not wearing her "Dragon Rider" armor that I changed my mind.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 13, 2024
    Looked at my current theme and realized it wasn't as hard as I thought. :P​

Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving.
    I got this in a bundle and had it set aside for a pretty long time, dismissing it as just one of those needlessly violent games where you kill the crap out of people for no real reason. And one day I felt like doing just that - turn off my brain and play something mindless and stupid for a bit, so I decided to give this a try - and everything from the gameplay to story really surprised me (in a good way). You do kill the crap out of people, but it's not as arbitrary as you might think, and there is a coherent and interesting story to it, if you take the time to piece together the disjointed, messed up narration.
    The game itself was much tougher and more fun than I expected, too - all the enemies have lightning reflexes and if you make one mistake or plan your attack poorly you will die, because it only takes one hit to strike your character down.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
    Excuse my tardiness, but anyway...here goes.

Day 26 - Best voice acting

I don't really have a specific reason for it, but Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne.

Day 27 - Most epic scene ever.

I guess I'll be semi-nostalgic on this one. The final assault on Sin in Final Fantasy X.

Day 28 - Favorite Game Developer

CAVE. Because being caved (in bullet hell) is fun on my own aspect.

Day 29: A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving.

Touhou Project. At first, I was never truly into bullet hell, but I knew I needed some form of inhuman challenge, so I ended up taking this route anyway. After grasping the hang of intense bullet hell, I started to gradually love this series.​

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years

Despite knowing of the Pikmin series ever since the first game was released back in '01, I never had any desire or any interest to play any of the games. I mean, who ever thought commanding little plant-like creatures could be so addicting and fun? I certainly didn't. I only bought it to fill up my GC collection and figured they just stay on my shelf. But what you get though is one of Nintendo's most unique/innovated series that really can't be grasped until played. The games even hit you at emotional level too. Something about their cries and watching their souls fly away when they die. :( Yeah, you might have won, but at what cost?

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years

Shadow the Hedgehog
    Everyone (even the folks at AGDQ 2013) said it was bad, I've had the game for a while, decided to play it recently and i actually liked it :)

Years
    Well it's finally here... to be honest after 30 days of this I thought I'd be tired of it but actually I'm really gonna miss doing this challenge and Dragon's challenge. As the first one for day 30 I find this extremely awesome and sad because it just means I'm the first to experience the beginning of the end. But without farther ado here is my favorite game of all time...

Day 30 - Your favorite game of all time

Ok so I've already talked a little about this, but I can't end off day 30 like a loser with no content other than: "Uhh yeah Paper Mario... gave me my emblem now." No that's not my style so to compensate let me go into a little more detail about what this game is about and some of my favorite things about it.

So Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is about Mario being sent a treasure map by Princess Peach and a letter telling him to meet her there, but when he arrives he learns that she was taken by these people called the X-Nauts (the dude in purple is the second in command of the X-Nauts):

Now you may be thinking this is just another cliché Mario game where you fight Goombas and save the girl at the end and I'm not denying that it is, but what I will say is that they manage to pull it off so it doesn't feel like that.

If you notice I haven't mentioned Bowser isn't anywhere so far but he's actually in the game but he's a minor character and he's actually played off as a joke when he's shown most of the time. Even so he was a great way to help you forget about everything that was going on in the story. One of my favorite things about him was this:​

So we all know or we have at least heard of Super Mario Bros. right? Well here is a minigame essentially featuring Bowser going through a course of Super Mario Bros. Within the minigame, Bowser can jump and breath fire at any enemies he encounters and can eat meat to grow bigger (the meat is the equivalent of Mushrooms in the original games). The minigame is actually part of the main story and is used as a way to engage the player, but it's also used to show that Bowser is travelling from one place to another.

Probably the best part about the game were your companions that would come with you and aid you in your quest to save Peach. They all had a personality and a backstory that made them seem human. A couple of examples could be:​
    Madame Flurrie is an actress, although when Mario meets her she is on hiatus.

Admiral Bobbery is a retired Bob-omb who lost his wife while he was away at sea. Saddened and depressed he stayed in his house for long periods of time (probably). After you give him a letter from his wife right before she passed away, he decides to help you.​

As you can see the backstory is completely different for both of those companions and that was only two out of the seven companions that will come with you ranging from an enemy that turned good, to a thief.

I could go on for a long time talking about this game, but... I think I've rambled on enough. Once again I really enjoyed this 30 day challenge and yeah...​

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    Day 30, Your favorite game of all time

Now for this answer, I had many possible games that could have fit, but I decided on this one:

I really enjoyed this game. I loved the various game modes like Space Assault (where I have been known to use a transport as a fighter and bomber), Assault (Where you play as powerful characters known as heroes, and that includes Star Wars villains. So you can have fights between Jango Fett and Han Solo, Darth Maul vs Luke Skywalker, etc.), Hunt (one possible hunt is Gungans vs Super Battle Droids), and Galactic Conquest. Course in land battles I have been known to increase the reinforcement count to 500% so I can rack up a few hundred kills.

Last edited:

Yukari

Good lord... This is a very difficult question. I know that I can't just pick one game either... SO, I'm going with 4.

First, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

I had more fun playing this game then almost any other. A lot of people said that stealth sometimes took a backseat to action, but that really isn't such a bad thing. The game has great AI too, even though I still occasionally saw them doing some really stupid shit... Like shooting at a wall. But I loved playing this game nonetheless.

Alright, up next is Mega Man X.

Aside from all the nostalgia here, I love this game because of the amazing level design and tight Controls. The game is one of the best platformers I've ever played, it's a lot like classic Mega Man, but now you can DASH. That puts it ahead of Mega Man 2 in my opinion.And as I said I love this game for the level design since it shows you a hazard and then make you face it. It essentially teaches you how to play and then makes you play. Also the ability to steal others powers makes it a lot funner. Sure, Mega Man classic could do that too, but X can also charge it.

Oh, and the Street Fighter Easter Egg.

Next, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

This is my favorite Castlevania game. I loved how it's non linear, and I loved the Gothic art. And I love Castlevania in general. But mainly, I love it because I had so much fun playing it.

And last, Final Fantasy 7.

Obligatory.

Sir Codin

So many but since I have limited internet at the moment I will go with Ocarina of Time and Baldur's Gate 2

Years

Now for this answer, I had many possible games that could have fit, but I decided on this one:

I really enjoyed this game. I loved the various game modes like Space Assault (where I have been known to use a transport as a fighter and bomber), Assault (Where you play as powerful characters known as heroes, and that includes Star Wars villains. So you can have fights between Jango Fett and Han Solo, Darth Maul vs Luke Skywalker, etc.), Hunt (one possible hunt is Gungans vs Super Battle Droids), and Galactic Conquest. Course in land battles I have been known to increase the reinforcement count to 500% so I can rack up a few hundred kills.

I preferred the original battle front if am honest, playing as hero's ruined the experience for me a bit, and my favorite arena (inside cloud city) was not added on the second one which was great for standing on the overhead balcony's and sniping out enemy soldiers.

Am actually quite sad to see the 30 days come to an end.

And the award for best all time game goes to....

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years

Kirby Super Star (The original SNES version)
    While Ultra is a better game, sometimes going retro is a good thing and plus Mirror Kirby IMHO is OP :)

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years

My favorite title is actually a game for the Sega Saturn. (Yes!) And for that fact alone I doubt many people have heard of it much less played it. Shining Force III was one of the last games for the Saturn, and what a way to go out. Only the first scenario of a three part game was actually localized, but thanks to fan translations all are available to play. Though I went a step further and actually modded by Saturn to experience the whole thing on the console. Anyways, the gameplay is pretty similar to Fire Emblem, simple yet finely tuned. It has surprisingly cerebral storyline filled with political intrigue, betrayals, and a fanatical cult. A large, and varied colorful cast of characters, with choices you make in the first game subsequently affecting future events and whether certain character join or not in the other two scenarios. And since the games were developed by Camelot, you can see a lot of things that were borrowed/inspired for the Golden Sun games.

And that's how it ends. I think this is my third time participating in one of these threads. {:3} Enjoyed reading the varied responses.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Day 30: Your favorite game of all time.

This is a really, really difficult decision... There are so many great games out there. So I'm narrowing it down to three of my favorites, in no particular order.

• LoZ: A Link to the Past.
    • Resident Evil 0.
    • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

I dunno why, but I find it a little silly that this ends on Valentine's Day. :P

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years

Well, then...a very difficult one to answer. After some deep thought, I'm going with Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, well...for the most part, in the multiplayer aspect. The reason is that...it culminated my professional gaming career and I learned a lot throughout this experience. It would epitomize my dominance in future games from the skills I transitioned with from my Warcraft III career. All the cool people I met and I still keep in touch to this day...if it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't be as great of a professional gamer as I would be today.

(oh, and yes, I do know some known Warcraft III pro-gamers, too)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Day 30: Your favorite game of all time.

Digimon Digital Card Battle

Okay, so the graphics weren't the best, the grammar was pretty bad, and the story was lackluster, but I loved it dagnabbit. It was my second digimon game and my first time playing a card game without actually having to have the cards. It was exciting for me as a kid and I still enjoy playing it to this day because it's still difficult at times.

Final Fantasy X

My very first Final Fantasy game, and by far my most favorite. Sephiroth be damned.

The Misadventures Of Tron Bonne

I will never stop praising this game. Never.

Illusion Of Gaia

I didn't even end up beating this game until about 7th grade. The bosses were quite hard and the story was deep and it was just a beautiful game both visually and musically for me as a kid and even still now.

It took me forever to even get past this guy, which is the first boss battle you get into.

LoZ: A Link To The Past

My first interaction with the Legend Of Zelda series, and by far my favorite.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Day 27 - Most epic scene ever.

Currently, I don't have one, but there was one that I loved so damn much back when I was a child. Dragon Ball Z Budokai, which I still hail for its cinematic direction (which is some of the best of any anime-based game, save for CC2's Ultimate Ninja/Storm series), had a great scene following the death of a certain character and the transformation of Goku into a Super Saiyan. It was a pretty hard-hitting scene, and I dare say it did it better than the anime it was adapting. Possibly.

Again, there are certainly better scenes, and currently I wouldn't say this is the most epic, but if I were to reach back to my childhood and pick a favorite, this would certainly be among them.

Day 28 - Favorite game developer.

Atlus or Level-5. I'd be hard to pick one, since I love these two companies so much and they've both made some of my favorite games. I give Level-5 praise for creating the largest number of creative and unique series and one-offs in gaming. Inazuma Eleven, Dark Cloud, Danball Senki, Youkai Watch- they're such a strange mismatch of different ideas that work by some miracle, and I can't think of a single Level-5 developed game that I don't like. I can always trust these guys to bring me something new and interesting.

As for Atlus, I have quite the fascination with the Shin Megami Tensei series. As someone who loves the integration of mythology and reality, and similarly, as someone who loves things that dare to play with religion and morality, it really is a no brainer that I would flock to this franchise. I haven't delved into the franchise nearly as much as I want to, but I've always found the concept behind the franchise to be too interesting to pass up.

That said, apart from Atlus as a developer (which has several other game franchises and one-offs such as Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, and Trauma Center), I do have to note just how broad they are as a publisher. They bring over games that have no demand over here and, as a result, we get gems such as Dokapon Kingdom, Demon Souls, Radiant Historia, and even the original Disgaea. They've helped several developers and their games flourish as a result, so I have to give credit in that regard.

Honorable Mention goes to Cyber Connect 2, whom I love to death. The .Hack franchise is tragic in nature (not the game's stories but rather their fates) and it's like a needle sticks into my heart everytime I mention them, but they're fond to me (especially the G.U. titles, which I would love to see an HD collection of). They also created Asura's Wrath and the Ultimate Ninja series, both of which have beautiful cinematics and- I've been on about this before, so I'll just say that I love these guys.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1.

This may seem like a strange pick, considering how hard I'd been trying to track it down until recently, but I have a history with the series. A couple years back, having known about the series to some extent, I bought the Hyperdimension Neptunia on the PS3. After learning that it was both a parody and a satire of the gaming industry, my interest was piqued. After exploring my first dungeon, I wanted the game out of my possession quick. Apart from lacking gamefeel, it was only chuckle-worthy (at that point, at least) and the battle system was incredibly slow.

So, about a year later, I bought mk2, the sequel. I heard that the battle system was redone and, thus, the game had to be marginally better. It was a better system no doubt, and it was far more inviting than the original half-unique/half-generic battle system for someone who was, at the time, suffering from Turn-Based RPG genre fatigue. I also got a good laugh at the villainous organization being called Arfoire, considering I'd been a DS pirate a number of years before and the R4 rained supreme (due to its cheapness), even becoming the generic name for DS flashcarts. Despite this, it still suffered greatly from a lack of gamefeel. There weren't sound effects where there should of been, there was little feedback for doing things for the most part, and that REALLY took away from the game. Apart from that, it just didn't have much to hold me other than the concept.

Fast-Forward to January 2015. The game's just been released on PC, they offer it at a discount price of $15, and I want it bad. Why? Well, I'd actually been following Re;Birth since it was announced, and I thought it was probably one of the coolest remakes I'd ever seen (I still do, really). It wasn't in any way a rehash of the original, and is instead something of a new game entirely- a Frankenstein of new additions and various features and assets from the second and third games. Thus, for me, this would be an entirely new experience, so it was something to look forward to, and I was ready to give the series a final try.

But when I started playing, I immediately realized there was no reason for me to think that I would like the game more than the two I'd already tried, and the game's dialog and humor hit me like the smell of a sweat filled sock. By this point, I was dreading what was to come...but then the game had me laughing. The localization by Idea Factory is nothing short of hilarious, especially when it brings in self-referential humor (especially when it's self-deprecating). It left me with more than just a smirk, and as I met the enemies of the game and the game itself continued to expand as I found myself in the double digits, I couldn't help but be enthralled with what I was playing. The characters are likable, the dialog is funny, it's one of few games where I could grind for hours and not even mind because I always felt like I was being rewarded for my time (which is the best type of bad grinding)- needless to say, Re;Birth certainly fits this spot.

I don't know. I have a top five, in which Virtue's Last Reward is in the top three, and The World Ends With You is in that five. I've been trying to figure this out for years. I think Persona 4's in the Top 5 or 10 somewhere, but...yeah. I dunno.

Years
    Last set!

Day 21 - Game with the best story

I'm gonna have to agree with Juno and say To The Moon. See Juno's post for an explanation.

Day 22 - A game sequel which disappointed you

Am I allowed to say Final Fantasy XIV? (pre ARR). The game was almost completely broken. I've heard ARR is much better, but I haven't been able to try, and I don't think I will tbh.

Day 23 - Game you think had the best graphics or art style

The silhouette style really help set the mood of the game. It makes the game feel really eerie.

Day 24 - Favorite classic game

I'm counting this as a classic game. It's my favorite platformer of all time and the first video game I ever played.

Day 25 - A game you plan on playing

Like most other people, I'm planning on playing Bravely Default. I've been meaning to buy it, but I keep putting it off for some reason. :P

Day 26 - Best voice acting

Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson did a FANTASTIC job in this game imo. I absolutely loved hearing them, they're really talented.

Day 27 - Most epic scene ever

Spoiler:

I thought this scene in FFX was pretty epic. The combination of Otherworld and Auron looking awesome, etc, is amazing.

Day 28 - Favorite game developer

No explanation here.

Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving

Everyone said this was an awful sequel and that it was so much worse than Origins, which set my expectation pretty low. I actually thought it was really good. It introduced some pretty cool characters (Hawke, Varric, Cassandra) and I liked the gameplay a bit more than Origins, which seems to be a really unpopular opinion.

Multiple games!

-Donkey Kong Country
    -The Last of Us
    -World of Warcraft
    -Star Wars: Battlefront 2
    -The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim​

Back