• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Nintendo NX Release of March 2017 Worldwide

Years
We've all been speculating about when this new console would come out or what games would be on it, but great to hear we finally have a release date (or at least when it'll launch) locked in.

pkmin3033

Well, it was fairly obvious they were going to put the new Zelda title on NX as well: Nintendo have never been particularly good at providing a good quality launch line-up, after all, and the Wii U is dead in the water; it'd be a complete waste to only put the new Zelda on it. It's a clever move to make their new console more appealing and hopefully get it off to a much stronger start, and it's not like they haven't done it before.

But another delay for it, plus no NX news at E3? I thought last year was the year of delays and disappointments. Get your act together, Nintendo. Still, as long as it's substantially better than the gimmicky mess that was Skyward Sword, I suppose it'll probably be worth the wait, and Nintendo can't possibly deliver a poorer presentation than that awful puppet one they did a couple of years ago. Since it's Pokemon's 20th Anniversary this year, I suspect the focus will be on the upcoming titles for that.

As for the NX itself...March 2017 is fine with me, it gives me plenty of time to squirrel away the small fortune it'll probably cost, and there is plenty to do in the meantime. I wonder if the lack of E3 presence is due to the whole PS4.5 thing that is floating around, though.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Well, it was fairly obvious they were going to put the new Zelda title on NX as well: Nintendo have never been particularly good at providing a good quality launch line-up, after all, and the Wii U is dead in the water; it'd be a complete waste to only put the new Zelda on it. It's a clever move to make their new console more appealing and hopefully get it off to a much stronger start.

But another delay for it, plus no NX news at E3? I thought last year was the year of delays and disappointments. Get your act together, Nintendo. Still, as long as it's substantially better than the gimmicky mess that was Skyward Sword, I suppose it'll probably be worth the wait.

As for the NX itself...March 2017 is fine with me, it gives me plenty of time to squirrel away the small fortune it'll probably cost, and there is plenty to do in the meantime. I wonder if the lack of E3 presence is due to the whole PS4.5 thing that is floating around, though.
I feel that the lack of NX news at E3 may not be so bad - gives Nintendo an opportunity to do a separate press conference solely on it to avoid being overshadowed by any other news, and/or a Nintendo Direct dedicated to it as well.

Not at all surprised about next year release of the NX. I was sceptical of any claim that it would be this year.

pkmin3033

I feel that the lack of NX news at E3 may not be so bad - gives Nintendo an opportunity to do a separate press conference solely on it to avoid being overshadowed by any other news, and/or a Nintendo Direct dedicated to it as well.

Not at all surprised about next year release of the NX. I was sceptical of any claim that it would be this year.
Well, when you consider what else is lurking on the horizon on other consoles - FFXV's imminent release, the FFVII remakes, Persona 5, PS4.5, probably some stuff on the Xbone, etc - I guess it isn't too surprising, although Nintendo's erratic scheduling of Directs and infuriatingly long silences make it frustrating...but then, since when have Nintendo kept to any schedule other than their own? I think they'll probably still be able to put on an impressive show at E3, but that noticeable lack of NX (and probably new Zelda as well) is going to diminish it, in my opinion. Will have to wait and see though I suppose!

I was expecting a Holiday 2016 release. I'm fine with March as I said, but it...doesn't really seem to make much sense from a business standpoint.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
Years
Meanwhile at Nintendo of America
tumblr_mcld5bCguD1qdqix8o1_250.png

I'm still not sold on the idea that it's going to be a new console (partially considering it's been a long time since a console made its launch at a time of year that wasn't late-Q3 or Q4). The only things that are confirmed about it are that it exists, and that it's coming in March 2017. Still too much unknown about it for me to get excited.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I was hoping all those rumors about the NX coming this year will be proven to be false, and the fact that it's coming to Spring 2017 indicates that it might be a new form of handheld, as that's the usual release date of their handhelds (consoles come out during the holiday seasons).

Building on the positive consumer reaction to Miitomo, Nintendo announced that its next two mobile apps would be based on the familiar and beloved Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing franchises.
I wonder if it's an extended version of that petting game from Fates.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
What i want from the Nintendo NX? First Person Shooters. Please Wintendo. Grab some of your Wintendo 64 roots, fuse it with your murdercocktails, remember that you had the Turok series, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Pokemon Snap (because according to machomuu, that's a First Person Shooter) and of course muthafraggin DOOM 64, as well as the Gamecube having Metroid Prime and Twin Snakes, combine all of those powers and give the console people the murderous gun blasting shooting frenzy, that the N64 was so famous for, so that console players of future generations can have more opportunities to be shooting d**ks off!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

And no, I'm not just saying that on my first person shooting rampage perspective. I read somewhere that this will be the next best thing ever, with the power to make the PS4 and XBONE its beaches. First person shooters are a great headstart to show off this next level tech that was talked about.

In all seriousness, I'm pretty excited for the release. The NX had some talk way back in 2015, and its good that they actually hold their own event for them not to be overshadowed by the current juggernauts.

Last edited:

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Considering this Fall is already packed with high-octane releases, I'm okay with this.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Skipping E3 is absolute madness, yet on the other hand, it fits with Nintendo's focys and reshaping of becoming a "brand name" once more. Its risky, but it makes sense. Tke the apple route, have a huge event in September, six months before launch. Focus not only on the NX, but the media branches, their theme parks, mobile, all things Nintendo. Make an event and an entire week all to yourself, instead of partaking in the self indulgent hubris for game media that E3 has devolved into. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.
This is armchair analytics, sure, but this the way I see things playing out. To be quite honest, its the ONLY reason I could posibly see this being the reason, as they will still be participating at E3 for Zelda. So yeah, to sum it up, I think E3 will be maintained as an option if things don't pan out with themhaving their own outlet, were as if its successful, I can see them going for an even more apple approach, with march/September conferences, perhaps with E3 just to get some good word out.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't really get why they're giving us an international release date for the thing but aren't providing any information about it at E3. AFAIK we don't really know anything about the NX, and now that they're officially acknowledging it that this would be the time to tell us something about it. Especially if it's something kind of major sounding like a new gaming device, that'd definitely be something to show at E3 (and given that they aren't planning to say anything about it at E3 means it's unlikely they'll say anything about it before E3).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
It'll be interesting if Nintendo announces something about the NX some time before or after E3. I wonder if the lack of news at E3 is because of them dancing to their own tune, or if it's because of some delay.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
It'll be interesting if Nintendo announces something about the NX some time before or after E3. I wonder if the lack of news at E3 is because of them dancing to their own tune, or if it's because of some delay.

It's because E3 is becoming less relevant each year. Even some AAA third-party companies like Activision aren't having a booth this year.

Years
I was hoping all those rumors about the NX coming this year will be proven to be false, and the fact that it's coming to Spring 2017 indicates that it might be a new form of handheld, as that's the usual release date of their handhelds (consoles come out during the holiday seasons).

Given the new Zelda game is also going to be on Wii U, it seems more likely this will be a home console, although I have had rumours there may be some part of the console that can also function as a handheld.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Given the new Zelda game is also going to be on Wii U, it seems more likely this will be a home console, although I have had rumours there may be some part of the console that can also function as a handheld.

Never trust NX rumors, and this video will explain to you why. It's a bit outdated due to being released prior to this news, but its entire message still works.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
They have also come out and said they are launching in March so that there is a decent collection of games upon launch.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
Years
Interesting...I wonder if this means that their current Legend of Zelda project will be postponed yet again. If so, means it probably won't have a WiiU release. It kinda sucks for me because I just got my WiiU last year and now I'll probably need to trade it in for a Nintendo NX. I also wonder if the release of the NX will come with a new Smash Bros. title...

Anyways, those are just some thoughts of mine.

-Midnight :)

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Interesting...I wonder if this means that their current Legend of Zelda project will be postponed yet again.

They already confirmed the next Zelda game would launch on both consoles at the same time.

Back