• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Trailer for Pokémon's 20th Movie released!

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
  • Things I like

Art style/animation - I love SM's current style (I do enjoy softer art styles). However, the animation here (as it is in all movies) is glorious.
    Pikachu's ball - the bolt of lightening is a nice touch
    Rainbow feather - this leads to interesting speculation about just what role Ho-oh will play (not to mention the extreme close up)

Things I didn't like

So far it looks to be a remake of the first episode, I don't particularly want this as I can go watch the original series for that
    Ash and Pikachu (and Oak/Ho-oh too) are the only confirmed people, not to say this is a bad thing, but Misty/Brock were instrumental in his beginning travels so I would have liked to see them here
    They better bring back Pidgeot or Pidgeotto here.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • ^The trailer footage must be taken from the first 25 mins of the movie... I assume that this is a modified adaption of the original series first season. (Like they did with dragon ball: curse of the blood rubies, the Gurenn Lagann Movies, the berserk movies, etc) taking the first half of season one and altering it in a way it would make sense on the big screen (1-2 hrs of screen time)

I bet we'll get 2 more movies like this, that concludes after Satoshi's fist pokemon league.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    The animation looks beautiful. It looks like a mix of XY and a more cleaned up version of Sun and Moon's style.

A big difference from the first episode here is that Ash sees Ho-Oh up close and he appears to know what it is. I too wonder if the movie will be an extended version of the first episode or will we be seeing more events from season 1. They probably could make enough additions and extensions to scenes to have it be just the events of the first episode.
    Small nitpick- Ash isn't wearing the rubber gloves his mom gave him in the part where he's dragging Pikachu by the leash.

Years
  • Article updated with summary of the movie.

I also like the animation so far. It's looking way better than Sun/Moon which is good too! I don't think this will be a remake. I beleieve we'll see some scenes from the first episode but that's all in my opinion.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • ^The trailer footage must be taken from the first 25 mins of the movie... I assume that this is a modified adaption of the original series first season. (Like they did with dragon ball: curse of the blood rubies, the Gurenn Lagann Movies, the berserk movies, etc) taking the first half of season one and altering it in a way it would make sense on the big screen (1-2 hrs of screen time)

I bet we'll get 2 more movies like this, that concludes after Satoshi's fist pokemon league.

Sincerely hope there is more than just the first three episodes.

I'm concerned because the current target audience (kids) wouldn't have been alive since Advance/start of DP, let alone the OS. Part of me thinks it's for them to understand how Ash and Pikachu came to be so close.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I really hope the Pokémon vocalisations in this are more akin to the realistic ones in Pokémon Generations. I recently watched a few episodes of the XY anime having not watced the anime at all since I was about 12 years old, and good god the Pokémon voices were embarrassing and cringeworthy to listen to. It totally took me out of the experience.

It's hard to tell from that trailer because Pikachu still 'says' his name, but that could just be because it's so recognisable. Ho-oh's screech was like an actual animal sound though, so not sure which route they're taking.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I really hope the Pokémon vocalisations in this are more akin to the realistic ones in Pokémon Generations. I recently watched a few episodes of the XY anime having not watced the anime at all since I was about 12 years old, and good god the Pokémon voices were embarrassing and cringeworthy to listen to. It totally took me out of the experience.

It's hard to tell from that trailer because Pikachu still 'says' his name, but that could just be because it's so recognisable. Ho-oh's screech was like an actual animal sound though, so not sure which route they're taking.

They seem to be going away from 'names are what noises it makes' in the Sun and Moon anime (at least in the raw version).

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Reading the summary posted it does sound like the premise will be to show how Ash and Pikachu began their journey together. I don't believe Ash saying they will meet Ho-Oh together one day was part of the first episode (at least not in the US dub), but otherwise it sounds like the first episode.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I'd be totally down for the movie to be a remake of the first couple episodes, which would allow them to retell the story in a more consistent manner and cut out the early installment weirdness that plagued the OS

Years
  • The trailer looks really cool but I am kinda upset that it's just a retelling of the first couple of episodes. Would have been really cool to see Ash's adventure throughout Kanto in an updated style.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Reading the summary posted it does sound like the premise will be to show how Ash and Pikachu began their journey together. I don't believe Ash saying they will meet Ho-Oh together one day was part of the first episode (at least not in the US dub), but otherwise it sounds like the first episode.

In the original episodes Ho-oh is merely flying up above and takes Ash's awe - here it's passing them and Ash officially gets the rainbow wing.

It very well could be just the first few episodes, but I'm interested about that rainbow wing.

Years
  • On the other hand, I'm extremely pleased that it's simply a retelling of the first few episodes. While I enjoyed them a ton, there wasn't much depth in the original episodes since they were made two decades ago, and now with how much more technologically advanced we are these are looking really great. Awesome effects and animation. Great facial expressions too, Ho-Oh flying overhead almost gave me chills. This is the first Pokémon movie I've been this pumped about in a looong time.

Years
  • There's surely no way its just gonna be a remake of the first episode, or the first few. I was thinking that they'd remake the Indigo League series but tell it differently.
    I've also seen different speculations saying "this could be a different version of Ash" or "its gonna be a different thing altogether", and while those are interesting, I personally think its just gonna be a retelling of Indigo League. It should be good either way though, and I'm keen :).

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I'm fine if they decide to use a movie to tell how Ash got started on his journey and clean up the Early Installment Weirdness of the OS

For example, golden Ho-Oh and the fact nobody realizes there's more than 151 pokemon

Back