• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Confirmed to be the Final Main 3DS Games for Pokémon

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • I really hate the size of my Switch I sold it for the PS4 back in April.

Guess I'll just play on the TV since I've bought one in my room anyway.
    But I'd prefers a 4DS or whatever to a Switch, I don't think I'll be getting a Switch, considering how much I hate it despite the chic look.

I'll say Pokemon will end at 7 generations for me if I absolutely have to get a Switch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    From what I've seen Switch < 3DS

The 3ds is light, fits in my pocket easily. The switch is big and clunky. It also has those stupid side controller things.

Oh well I'm probably not going to buy a Switch just for Pokemon. Not sure if I even want to buy Gen 8 since Pokemon's been on a downhill spiral recently. Unless gen 8 has all shiny hunting methods and all gens.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Excellent news to get this confirmed (for the third time). Means I can save space on my shelf and put away all my 3DS games once I beat Ultra Sun. And my 3DS as well. Running out of outlets.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Sweet, time to buy a Switch. I've always wanted to try out Splatoon.

It was only a matter of time anyway. Hopefully Gen VIII's first games won't feel as empty as XY or SM. Also, I have to wonder how the lack of dual screens will affect hypothetical DP remakes. Specifically the Pokétch, it'll be strange accessing it from the menu.

Last edited:

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Let's be honest though, we were all expecting this, and it's for a good reason as well, because the 3DS is about 7 years old right now. However, the thing about third games being developed for an older console when a newer one is out is not new - Pokemon BW2 literally saw the same thing with people complaining about it still being on DS when it was meant to be on 3DS, much like how people are complaining about why USUM are still on 3DS, yet Pokemon Stars was a trademark that fuelled rumours for the third game being on the Switch. The only difference BW2 had was a tie-in app for 3DS, Pokemon Dream Radar, but that was just a marketing ploy to tide people over to the 3DS ready for XY when it would release. If USUM do come with a Switch app then it could hopefully drum up excitement for the Switch game in this same vein.

Last edited:

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I am pretty curious to see if the Switch can take over the Pokemon niche in the handheld market. I'm really wondering how the majority of the Pokemon fan base will transition to this platform change. I'm not upset about the 3DS lifespan finally coming to an end. It had an incredibly long lifespan and did some amazing things, but it's over. However, I can't really just get up and buy a Switch on my current budget, eventually with a bit of saving, sure, but I'm not sure I can keep up with the Pokemon franchise for the next year or two, but who knows.
    What also might be interesting, is that if Nintendo starts losing sales based on the drop off of having a hand held outside of their main console. If the loss in sales is significant enough, we might see a brand new handheld console in a few years.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • My main system is always the handheld ones. For some reasons I just prefer them. I love my Switch, and mostly play it as an handheld. Still, it's sad to see Pokemon leaving the DS. I have a lot of good memories with Pokemon and my SP, my Ds, my 3ds.
    didn'T knew it was the last one on the DS family. I didn't want UsUm, but now... it kinda makes me change my mind.... I probably won't do it. Not first day, tho. We'll see later.

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • To be expected. I'm excited to see how the series evolves (pun intended!) on the Switch! Playing on the go or on the big screen will be a neat experience. I bought the Switch early mostly for Zelda and Splatoon, but I knew the main series pokemon games would eventually make the transition too.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • Like I commented on an TyranitarTube video Just because Ultra Sun and Moon are the last 3DS pokemon games it doesn't mean the next gen/ Remake will be on the Switch..

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I figured that USUM were to be the last and no doubt be the last gen 7 games too. It seems we are getting only four games per gen for now on. Gen 5, 6 and now 7 has only four main series games. I still feel that the Switch is likely to not work out. Pokemon main series games on tv is something i can't take seriously and i don't think i will ever like that.

Back