• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Hidden softlock prevention discovered in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Hidden softlock prevention discovered in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Hidden softlock prevention discovered in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Secretly keeping Cianwood City safe from softlocks since 2009!

Magitronique

I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
Years
  • There's just something so weirdly wonderful about little discoveries like these, y'know? Somehow after all this time there are still things to discover in games that have been out for over a decade!

Years
  • Smort

I'd totally never have known this. That's some pretty amazing foresight.

Though the mechanic would involve you releasing all your Pokémon bar one before it'd ever surface. You'd have to trade, use Poké Transporter or deliberately release everything before you find yourself hitting rock bottom. It kinda feels like a niche scenario for you to ever find yourself at Cianwood, hey.

Chron

The Forgetful One
    Years
  • Definitely a pretty neat thing to discover after all this time. Makes you wonder what prompted the inclusion of the feature: extremely good foresight from a developer, a very thorough bug tester, or an incredibly incompetent bug tester. :P

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • TENTACOOL SAVES

Definitely a cool find - not surprised this sort of thing took over 10 years to find but it's still quite a while!
    Definitely a pretty neat thing to discover after all this time. Makes you wonder what prompted the inclusion of the feature: extremely good foresight from a developer, a very thorough bug tester, or an incredibly incompetent bug tester. :P
    Good question. HGSS did have a lot of stuff crammed into it, with the director of those games on record of wanting to deliever that sort of experience, so that might have filtered down to accounting for strange edge cases such as this.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I wonder if there's something similar programmed in any of the other games, since HG/SS isn't exactly the only game you can have the problem occur in.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I wonder if anyone has checked this for Cinnabar Island as well.

Years
  • I'm actually amazed by this, great to see things still being discovered in Pokemon games 10 years later! Pretty cool that it can be shiny too.

Years
  • This is honestly an amazing find. Truthfully speaking though, I think I maaaaay have discovered this on accident a few years ago, but thought nothing of it at the time. I feel like I remember this happening to me. Who's to say for sure though.

Back