• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile The Hopes for a New Pokkén Game

The Hopes for a New Pokkén Game

The Hopes for a New Pokkén Game

Pokkén Tournament, the Pokémon fighting game published by Bandai Namco, has been left alone for 2 years without any news or updates and many are wondering about where the series is going and if it …

Ranko

Aloof Unmoving Maiden
Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2023
    I wrote about the Harada's recent tweet emphasizing Pokken's success, but the fact that any opportunity for a sequel is 100% up to Nintendo and the Pokemon company. I've also included a chunk of Pokken history leading up to it, where the sentiments lie, and the significance of developer support in the Pokken Tournament scene.

Last edited:

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • I really hope theres a new one since its a cool game, and a break from RPGs, but i can still lose myself in it. I still play my Wii U version!

Years
  • However, after the release of Blastoise on March 23rd, 2018, Pokkén Tournament, the great silence began again. To this day, no news, updates, or balance patches have been released or announced for Pokkén Tournament.

It hadn't hit me how long it's been. This is really sad, and the game had so much potential. I suppose at this point they may just not want to compete with giants like Smash? :s

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • No no no no no no no no and no and more no and still no and I could literally do this all day with how much no and one more thing....

HELL NO

I had enough trouble with this game not once but twice and dropped it both times. I don't need to go through that shit again with a sequel.

As far as I'm concerned I'm glad it's dead and it can stay dead for all I care.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    No no no no no no no no and no and more no and still no and I could literally do this all day with how much no and one more thing....

HELL NO

I had enough trouble with this game not once but twice and dropped it both times. I don't need to go through that shit again with a sequel.

As far as I'm concerned I'm glad it's dead and it can stay dead for all I care.
    If you hated playing the first Pokken, it's not like you have to play the (hypothetical) sequel you know

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2021
    Say, guys. I'm just wanting to know whether you think that Arbok and/or Gyarados (including Mega Gyarados) will become playable or support Pokémon in the Pokkén sequel? Why do you think?

Ranko

Aloof Unmoving Maiden
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2023
    Say, guys. I'm just wanting to know whether you think that Arbok and/or Gyarados (including Mega Gyarados) will become playable or support Pokémon in the Pokkén sequel? Why do you think?

Snake-like Pokémon sounds tricky! But they made Suicune work as a quadruped representative and they're AMAZINGLY well done. It'd be a great challenge to the developers to make them a fighter!

I think a support is more likely.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Man at first I thought I wouldn't like Pokkén, but now I'm liking it enough that I'd really hope to see a sequel that improves on a number of aspects of the original. It helps that it's a good game that allows me to pick up a number of underrepresented Pokémon, and lay the smack on overrated Pokémon like Lucario, Pikachu or Charizard for basically as long as I want to.

I think this is one of the aspects that needs the most fixing. Despite having a cast of 800+ varied creatues from all clades of life and then some, Pokkén fell into the trite, trodden trope of pretty much nearly only having a cast of "humans in fursuits": most if not all fighters are bipedals with two arms or otherwise fight like humans. Even Suicune, the token quadruped representation, majorly fights like a bipedal would and does not make use of any of the kinesthetical strengths quadrupeds have against bipeds, such as snap-and-drags, pouncing or flan tanking for counters (man, Terrakion would be interesting for that one). To make it worse, the one bird - Decidueye? A bird with hands. It does not even have raptorial attacks except for the jump front dive.

What Pokkén needs and what would first drive me more to the sequel is a more varied cast, more selectable fighters, exploring different avenues of combat. Lileep or Cradily could be interesting representation and could explore a novel gameplay, based around moving in hops, clinging to the opponent and using constriction and hold moves rather than kicks and punches. A heavier built quadruped like Meganium or Terrakion could work snap-and-drags, ramming and body presses. A facultative quadruped like Feraligatr or Beartic with a stance system could be a trick opponent against players who are used to the bipedal tropes. And we could have birds - and dragons- that fight like aerial creatures, not to mention better profit from 3D movement during Open Phase.

Pokkén could be a very good and promising franchise to add more to Pokémon with. But first it has to get out of the boring, "easy print money" / "abuse overrated franchise icons" mindset that has been already killing the mainline games for over a decade.

Back