• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • Hey there!

All you have to do is simply, using a DS Lite or original DS, put Emerald in the GBA slot and any of the Generation IV games in the DS slot (these are Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver). Go to "Migrate from Emerald" in the main menu and choose the Pokémon that you want to transfer. Press migrate and go to Pal Park in the game (this is south of Sandgem in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum; and in Fuchsia City, Kanto in HeartGold and SoulSilver). Go catch the Pokémon that you migrated.

Hope that helpled!

Anyway I'm going to move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread.
    See you around! :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2014
    Duplication Assistance Required

Hi everyone! So, I haven't been on here in a long while, but I've come back simply to ask for some help. You see, transferring my Pokémon from Generation IV over to the newer games would result in me being unable to ever transfer them back, and for me, that's an issue. So, to avoid this, I am planning to duplicate my Pokémon and transfer the duplicated versions to the new games instead of the old lot. Unfortunately, I've been having trouble performing the duplication glitch. The method I'm using involves trading between two DS's, and interrupting the trade at a certain point.

When the loading screen comes up just before the trade is complete, a type of clock is visible. Speaking as of it were an actual clock, I have been instructed to interrupt the connection on the six, just before the fifth turn. I have attempted this several times, and it's possible the reason I'm failing is because I consider the very start of the loading screen to be the first turn, but I've tried it both ways and nothing seems to be working. All I ask for is a more detailed guide to how I am to perform this glitch. And just to clarify, the game I'm using to do this is Diamond and Pearl.

Oh, and I hope this is the right section to post a thread like this.

Years
  • Hey guys, question.

How long does a Pokewalker battery last? Do you have to turn it on every time you go somewhere?

Lets say I put a Pokemon on it, but never turn it on. How long would it last approx, and would I get exp by not turning it on too often (like, once a day for 5 minutes)?

Years
  • Looking for others currently playing 4th gen.

Hello all,
    I want to find a group of people that enjoy playing the 4th gen games. I currently have 300 hours between HG and SS, and I am looking to start D, P and Pt soon. I thought it would be really fun to find others to play along with. If you have an acekard, or just plain play on a rom, we could even email saves to one another and do legitimate trades! ^^

If anyone is interested, please respond or send a message!

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Ah have you started this yet? I have a Diamond Version that I'm halfway through but unwilling to restart, so I might play on a ROM. However I wouldn't feel confortable with sharing my email, even for this....... But I would love to have someone to play against if you havenmt started it yet. :3

TheUnit684

Heedrim
    Years
  • Sinnoh Flashbacks

tl;dr
    Spoiler:

Sinnoh has always been a toughie for me. I would play Pokemon all the time when I was a kid, mostly the Gen 2 and Gen 3 games on GBA. Pokemon was my life. Then, all of a sudden, they weren't releasing anymore Pokemon games on the GBA. If I wanted a new one, I had to buy this weird thing called a DS, with two screens. I was in like seventh grade, there was no way I could swing that.

So, I simply didn't get the Sinnoh games. For a few years, whenever I wanted to play Pokemon, it was either Gold Version, one of the Hoenn games, or the Kanto remakes. Then, suddenly, I got a DS for Christmas! Whoa! And what's this?! Platinum version! A new Pokemon game! AWESOME! Man, I went nuts and played that game like crazy until I beat it. Then I did what I always did with Pokemon games the first time I play them. The second the credits stopped rolling, I shut it off and started a new game.

The only problem was, about halfway through my second playthrough, I just stopped. I put Platinum away and started playing my GBA games again. What was it about Sinnoh that threw me off so much? Once in a while, I would pick it up and try playing it again, but it felt slow, dull. Maybe none of the starters grabbed me? Maybe I wasn't intrigued by the region? Who knows. The point is, that's when I became disinterested in the new Pokemon games and stopped following them, sticking with the classics. (Although, I did purchase Heart Gold when it came out, because Gold was my favorite in the series.)

Several years later, I was in Game Stop and I saw something weird. "Pokemon White...2? A sequel? Whaaaat?" This intrigued me to no end for some reason. I thought about it over the next couple of days and ended up trading in my copy of Platinum to help buy White 2. I LOVED White 2, and that's when I got back on the train, following all the new Pokemon news I could, flooding myself in the series, even going back and picking up White to play.

What I'm getting at here is I think I want to give Sinnoh a shot again. I really regret getting rid of Platinum, even though I never really played it. I think I didn't give it a fair enough shot. I didn't have the patience for it then. But I feel like I'm ready now. So, my question to you all: Which Sinnoh game should I look to purchase? Is Platinum the best Sinnoh has to offer, or maybe Diamond? Let me know your opinions, please and thank you. :)

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    It depends on what you'd rather do once you get to Mt. Coronet xD

I don't know how far you made it in Platinum, but Platinum offers an upgraded storyline in my opinion. The whole Mt. Coronet scene with Team Galactic was quite basic in my opinion in Diamond and Pearl, the kind of simplicity you can come to expect from a Pokemon games storyline. In Platinum, you get to venture into the Distortion World. It's a little more difficult to navigate in there, but that's what makes it more fun. That, and Cyrus' Pokemon are stronger in Platinum when the time comes for the main battle. Watch out for that Thunder Fang Houndoom! His Gyarados also isn't easy if you aren't prepared.

Overall I feel like Platinum is the better of the three, which makes sense as the third games of series usually are. Extra storyline, stronger trainers, even the Elite 4 have some different Pokemon which makes the battles more engaging and tougher. If you're looking for a good, fun ride, I would recommend giving Pokemon Platinum another shot. The entire region itself is fun to explore, but then again these are just my opinions.

Years
  • Definitely Platinum. It had many new features and redesigns then the original Pearl and Diamond and it allowed you to catch Palkia, Dialga, as well as Giratina in one game. It's like an all in one!

First of all the clothes change:

4th Gen Help Thread 4th Gen Help Thread
    Pearl and Diamond Version of Lucas and Dawn

4th Gen Help Thread 4th Gen Help Thread
    Platinum Version of Lucas and Dawn

Since you want my opinion, I think Platinum's clothes look better then Pearl and Diamond's. However this is a very small detail compared to the whole game that you may not even care about, so you can decide whether this is something that matters to you or not.

If you enjoyed the Battle Frontier in third gen then you'll be glad to hear that in Platinum they brought it back.
    4th Gen Help Thread

Yep the Battle Tower, Battle Hall, Battle Arcade, Battle Castle, and Battle Factory are back and other than the obvious graphics improvement, I don't think any rules have been changed. Although the Frontier Brains have been changed, so if you liked Emerald's Frontier Brains sorry but they've been replaced.

Now, one of the biggest changes from Pearl and Diamond is the Distortion World, a Platinum exclusive area that added more to the story plot than Pearl or Diamond. This area really utilized the 3d features of the DS by throwing you into a world where you can surf up and down waterfalls and jump from wall to wall without ever knowing which way is up and which is down!

4th Gen Help Thread

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'd recommend Platinum by far. It's the sequel and more polished of the three. It has a bunch of aditional content, a unique story line and updated graphics. Platinum really is the way to go.

Anyway, this isn't really a 'quick' question haha but it's a question that's be asked 1002344945688 times nonetheless, so I'll just move this over into the 4th Gen Help Thread.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although it has been suggested a few times thus far, like above, I would also have to suggest Platinum version.

Platinum has all (or at least most) version-exclusives incorporated from Diamond and Pearl, and on top of this, it also has some feature additions, such as Battle Frontier. After we're done with main story-line, there isn't much to do, sadly, aside from exploring Fight Area and Survival Area, if I'm not mistaken, but Frontier does sort of change that, by giving us more things to get done (defeating Frontier Brains).

Diamond and Pearl, however, have some things different from Platinum, with one aspect being character design (as stated above). However, I wouldn't recommend allowing small things such as this alter your decision; Pokémon Platinum undoubtedly has more to offer.

TheUnit684

Heedrim
    Years
  • Haha XD Thanks for the input everyone. It would seem Platinum is indeed the way to go. Since that's the case, I'll definitely look into getting another copy. Thanks again. :)

Years
  • Ah have you started this yet? I have a Diamond Version that I'm halfway through but unwilling to restart, so I might play on a ROM. However I wouldn't feel confortable with sharing my email, even for this....... But I would love to have someone to play against if you havenmt started it yet. :3

I still have not started D/P/Pt, but have been breeding a bunch of new Pokemon on SS. I am definitely wanting to do this, but I have become a little busier as of late. Keep me posted on your progress!

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • What happened to Mana??

I've searched for the past hour for this and only seen it addressed once.
    I was playing my 'new' Diamond Version I got for my birthday, I only have four badges, but last month I traded over Manaphy from Ranger to it. Today I was looking through my PC boxes for a Mime Jr. I just caught but noticed Manaphy and possibly a Cranidos were missing.
    I want to know if this happened to anyone else and if there's anyway to get my pokes back. ;_;
    And yes I checked the Daycare, nothing's in there.........

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Oh... Thanks then... :/

I only saw one site where people were saying half a box of shinies disappeared, or just random pokemon migrated from GBA. But no one offered an explaination..... I guess I'll just keep looking....

ISNorden

Teddiursa
    Years
  • Button, button -- who's got the button?

Since the 4th-gen questions thread has apparently vanished, I'll ask here:

Where in the Team Galactic HQ is the button that sets the Lake Trio free? I've beaten both Saturn and Cyrus, searched the building from top to bottom and back... but can't find the button or the Lake Trio anywhere to save my life. Could one of you please tell/show me where to look?

Years
  • First, here is the 4th Gen Help Thread.

Second, are you in the Veilstone Building? Because after you've beaten Cyrus, and then Saturn, the latter steps aside and the red button allows you to free the lake trio. It's pretty hard to miss if you already beat both of them...

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2015
    What game should I play?

Hey guys, I'm Mr. Johto, pretty new here. I've been a fan of Pokemon for my whole life and lately I haven't had the time to play it, but I'm trying to get back into it and I want to replay a Fourth gen game, but dunno what one to do. If you couldn't already guess, Johto is my favorite region, so I've played HG/SS the most, so I dunno if I wanna play through them again, or should I go with a Sinnoh game? I can't decide for the life of me

weeman94

The Brave Little Weeman
    Years
  • Play through a Sinnoh game! (even though it's the only region I haven't got a game of!)

I've been meaning to pick up a Diamond/Pearl/Platinum copy for a while now, but I never seem to find the time in amongst all the new Pokemon games, and study, and so on, but I would definitely recommend playing through Sinnoh.

Why? Because I didn't think I'd like Kalos for the life of me. Or Unova for that matter. I thought some of the new Pokemon designs were "dodgy" at best, and that they couldn't possibly live up to their predecessors . But they do! Oh, they do! I think Kalos might even be my favourite region if Lumiose City wasn't so hard to navigate all the time :P

But yes. Play through. I still need to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back