• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6 questions related to Pokemon--

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years
    JUST ANSWER YES OR NO, OR A SHORT ANSWER. DO NOT ANSWER IN A LONG-WINDED MANNER THAT WOULD PROVOKE A FEUD.
    1. Do you check out pokemon wikis, such as bulbapedia and wikipedia, before posting anything related to pokemon information?
    2. Do you know about the history of the pokemon world (i mean the history of the story, not the real world of what it was created in)?
    3. (I rephrased it) Do you play the pokemon games for the sake of the entertainment and do not know anything about it, e.g what pokemon are?
    4. Do you know that digimon copied the concept of pokemon?
    5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon (nothing pertaining to first drawn) in the pokemon's story (there is an answer but i won't say it)?
    6. Why do you like pokemon?

For those who don't know why i'm posting this, please read one of the post down there. And I am not posting this because I think everyone is a retard. Please do not speculate, you might be surprise by some of the answers given here.

Last edited:

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
    1.) Yes (Bulbapedia)
    2.) Anime- Yes, Games- Yes, Manga- Getting there
    3.) Yes
    4.) Of course, doesn't mean the first two seasons weren't good though... after that they failed.
    5.) I'm pretty sure it was Caterpie
    6.) That's a good question... I guess I just like because I like it.

Feathing

Water Gym Master
    Years
    1) I usually read it, but never before posting a thread.
    2) Yes of course.
    3) Yes.
    4) You mean it's official? I always supossed it, Digimon is a bad copy of Pokemon.
    5) I don't know the answer. Do you mean the first that was created? If that's the case I'd say Mew.
    6) Because all it represents: Adventures, friendship, the pursuit of your dreams, a better world and the harmony with nature.

Won't you post your own answers?

Artyte

Years

Are you saying that caterpie was the first to be drawn or it is the oldest pokemon to live in the pokemon world? if your answer is the second one, then i'll say "nice try, but incorrect." :\ Sorry mew isn't the answer too.

My answers are
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes, but digimon is not that bad, except for the creature's design, some were terrible.
    5. Not telling ya
    6. Same as what you said Feathing.

Last edited:

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
    Are you saying that caterpie was the first to be drawn or it is the oldest pokemon to live in the pokemon world? if your answer is the second one, then i'll say "nice try, but incorrect." :\ Sorry mew isn't the answer too.

I was implying that Caterpie was the first to be drawn. This on the account of the fact that Pokemon was inspired by bug watching.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    1. Always. I live in Bulbapedia anyway.

2. Pretty much.

3. Well, I am on a forum, so that answers that. *shifty eyes*

4. Nah. >D Maybe it because I liked Digimon.

5. In actual age - Aerodactyl, perhaps Relicaith. Or that Pokémon that's on statues in RBY/GSC. What Pokémon is that?!
    First created, Rhydon. As far was I know it occupies hex number 1 or something like that RBY, so it effectically the first Pokémon.
    See?
    Anyways, I think its pretty convincing.

6. I've liked it so long I can't just turn it off like that!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    1. Sometimes, depends if I'm unsure on something. Usually, no.
    2. Yep
    3. Yes
    4. Yep, since Pokemon games came first.
    5. Mew or Arceus. Or just for the sake of it, Missing.No XD (Also, it depends on what you mean by oldest.) Oh, and it could be teh awesome Relicanth XD
    6. Because it is an intresing game where you compete with your friends =D Also, it has good replay value and I've been playing since Blue/Red =) Oh, and most of the designs are good (except Junx =\ And Bidoof O.oAnd some others XD)

Last edited:

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
    1. Well I just browse Bulbapedia all the time about stuff anyway.
    2. In the games, yes, I only watched the anime when I was a kid, and I never read the manga.
    3. I don't understand the question? o.o?
    4. Probably, I still watched when I was a kid...
    5. Nidorino =o
    6. Was a big part of my childhood and it just made me hooked XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    1. Do you check out pokemon wikis, such as bulbapedia and wikipedia, before posting anything related to pokemon information?
    I generally do out of simple curiosity, but if there's something I'm not sure on, yes.

2. Do you know about the history of the pokemon world?
    Can't say I do, aside from legends and people using apricorns for capturing.

3. Are you familiar with the concept of pokemon instead of playing the games for the sake of entertainment?
    As a trainer? Catch them and make them hurt each other, simple enough to understand.

I'm not surprised. It's funny how something can be copied, built upon and actually end up lamer IMHO, though.

5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon in the pokemon world?
    Mew.

Initially, I don't know, it looked cool and stuff.
    Now, I like to muse about it as though realistic, like with Team Rocket being heinous mobsters that actually poach and illicitly trade Pokemon; so as far as I'm concerned, Red and Blue were the only 'real' Pokemon games, since they are uninfluenced by the anime's... childishness.
    If I ever write a fanfic, you can expect it to be for adults only.

Last edited:

DarknessSneasel

Master of Dark
    Years
    1. only jsut heard of bulbapedia
    2. Not really
    3. I was a liitle kid and i went coll at lots of tihngs and now i play the games for entertainment
    4. Yeah but at leat it's a better rip off than that Dinosuar King rubbish
    5. Rattata (looks like a pretty simple idea)
    6. I like the fact that in the game I have this powerfull creatures at my will and back at the start i was about 4 so i thought lots of things were cool.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Generally, I already know what I'm talking about, but if I'm uncertain (because my memory isn't always the best), I look it up on Bulbapedia, yes.

2. Do you know about the history of the pokemon world (i mean the history of the story, not the real world of what it was created in)?

I'd like to say yes.

3. Are you familiar with the concept of pokemon instead of playing the games for the sake of entertainment?

Yes. (Although this is a rather vague question.)

No. Actually, Digimon was based on a virtual pet -- a keychain toy in which a person hatched and raised a pixel creature to use in battles against similar creatures. While this fundamentally sounds like Pokémon, in actuality, the game played exactly like Tamagotchi, only with PvP battling capabilities. (As in, literally, it had the exact same options as Tamagotchi, only with training and battling options thrown in. You were to feed, clean up after, medicate, discipline, tuck in at night, and play with your little monster, whereas the concept of Pokémon pretty much comes down to catch and battle for the sake of leveling them up.) In other words, Digimon is a rip-off, yes, but it's a rip-off of the virtual pet fad of the mid-90's, not Pokémon.

Furthermore, besides teaming up with monsters with the capability of changing forms (although with Digimon, it tends to be a two-way street unless you're talking about the games), Pokémon and Digimon actually have nothing in common. Even the anime possessed a completely different premise and was aimed towards a slightly older audience.

Long story short, just because one was released earlier than the other and they both have monsters doesn't mean that the younger one's a rip-off.

5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon in the pokemon world (there is an answer but i won't say it)?

Depends on what you mean by "oldest." In terms of mythology, science, or who was created first for the games?

The openness. The games let you pretend to be a trainer and to mix and match teams. You can go through an entire game ten times and never use the same team twice if you really wanted. There's a lot of variety in the monsters, many of whom are actually fun to level up. On top of that, I still love the first season of the anime (because it's so cheesy it's awesome), and each manga series has its own interesting story. Also, the fans are fun to hang out with, and it's a fairly easy series to work with.

Also, Bill. Enough said.

Years
    1. Yep, especially Bulbapedia
    2. Not fully, no, I'm still trying to catch up, I know the story of Ho-Oh and the three dogs and thats about it.
    3. Not sure I understand the question, I know what a Pokemon is, I know a lot of aspects of it through watching a lot of anime episodes
    4. I don't know much about Digimon except that they can talk English and all their names end in "mon"
    5. I believe that is Arceus, although I don't know much about it except it is the creator
    6. When the anime first came out and I started watching it, I became hooked. I don't know why I like it, there's something about it I just like, The fantasy, the mythology, the music, etc.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    1. Do you check out Pokemon wikis, such as bulbapedia and Wikipedia, before posting anything related to Pokemon information?
    Depends on what I'm saying. If it's something that I know a lot about or everyone knows, then no. If it's something I'm unsure of or I'm double-checking myself, then yes.
    Yeah.
    Yes.
    .... *punches you in the face* NO! Bad Freshman!
    >.> <.< I mean... Digimon came first. Japan had it out a while before Pokemon was created. America just sucks and gave it to us afterwards. The basic plot and idea of Digimon is completely different from Pokemon. People just hate it because it came out later that Pokemon in America. Stupid Americans. I wish I weren't one. I've never really gotten into Digimon myself, but I've seen enough to know that the plot is completely irrelevant to Pokemon. I'd like to watch it sometime. Xanthine pretty much summed it all up though.
    5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon in the pokemon world (there is an answer but i won't say it)?
    There are too many answers to that question. You could either be talking about oldest fossil; first one that Sugimori, Tajiri, or whoever else in GameFreak created the first one; or which came first the Arceus or the Mew?
    6. Why do you like Pokemon?
    I grew up with it, it's my first game, it is a part of me. More logical reasoning I don't feel like mentioning.

Last edited:

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Just answer yes or no, if not a short answer.

1. Hardly, but I had one reference for me EV training.
    2. Yes, if I hadn't read the story I wouldn't like pokemon.
    3. Yes.
    4. Obviously, the silly copycats.
    5. Arceus, then the other Legendaries then the fossils and then the modern pokemon.
    6. Because of it's variety and coolness.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2009

bulbapedia FTW!!!

Yes from what iv found out in the games, and the manga always gives me an insight

uhh...dnt get this question but i play the games for entertainment n read the manga cos its awesomeness, im into pokemon cos i enjoy it duh

yes thats what i always thought, but someone told me the digimanga was made b4 the pokemanga, dunno if thats correct tho

i always thought it was mew, or arceus?? who im not reli familiar with

its pretty much my fantasy, what i would hope 4 in my perfect world....playing the games, reading the manga...it gets me away from the reality of life and away from everyone.

Artyte

Years
    Long story short, just because one was released earlier than the other and they both have monsters doesn't mean that the younger one's a rip-off.

If you think that i think that digimon was a rip off due to pokemon being created at an earlier time, you're wrong. I was implying that pokemon's basic concept of what pokemon are is copied by digimon. Pokemon represents real world creatures, whereas digimon took that concept and changed it just a little bit and instead of using a real world, they use a virtual world. If you have any doubts on this topic of whether digimon copied pokemon, check www.1up.com 's essential 50 article. I myself was wondering whether digimon copied pokemon at first, then it appeared to be true through official websites. "An evidence is more convincing than speculations of the truth."

Oh and by the way, if you say they have nothing in common, that would be incorrect. Form changing was also an idea of pokemon that digimon copied. And the way digimons are controlled by partners just like how pokemon is, except that digimons don't need commands but rather digivolution choices. I don't think it was aimed on an older auidence, as the creator might not have that in mind, just like Satoshi Tahjiri. Satoshi never meant pokemon for kids (it is not even for kids, it is for everyone), he never had intentions of creating the now popular pokemon franchise on a younger audience. That was what Satoshi said, but indirectly.

I agree on one information that digimon was based of tamagotchi, but it was also based of the concept of pokemon.

By the way, invisible chan, digimon franchise products all came out after 1997, whereas pokemon started came out in 1996 first with the games. My proof is wiki, nothing else.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    If you think that i think that digimon was a rip off due to pokemon being created at an earlier time, you're wrong. I was implying that pokemon's basic concept of what pokemon are is copied by digimon.

Actually, a lot of games at that time had monsters-based-on-real-concepts ideas. Monster Rancher, for one. Then, there was Yu-Gi-Oh, Tamagotchi itself, of course, and all of the related virtual pets.

Besides, one element does not a rip-off make. By this logic, we might as well say every genre in anime (from mechas to magical girls) are rip-offs of each other because, really, they all share essentially the same basic traits. Digimon had to use real-world elements for its own monsters because, really, the creators looked to real life the same way Pokémon did. They didn't simply take Pokémon and "tweak" them.

"An evidence is more convincing than speculations of the truth."

In that case, you may actually want to play with one of the original Digimon. =/ I had one myself back when the franchise was still new. It's definitely a rip-off of Tamagotchi, not Pokémon.

Form changing was also an idea of pokemon that digimon copied.

Actually, no. Form changing was something adopted from the original Digimon games, and the set-up was actually based on Tamagotchi and other virtual pets. Egg, baby, child, adult. It's the exact same format as Tamagotchi, and in some cases, the forms in both franchises look exactly alike. (For example, the baby forms in Digimon tend to look like baby Tamagotchi.)

Additionally, Digivolution differs completely from Pokémon in that Pokémon treats evolution as a one-way street. A Pokémon that evolves gains a new psychological state, and there's no chance of returning to a past form. It's also a symbol of growth: Pokémon generally evolve when they reach a certain point in their lives. (So, in a sense, it's maturity.) A Digimon that evolves does so out of their own will in order to gain an increase in strength, so it tends to symbolize power. Additionally, Digimon generally don't change drastically in personality after evolution, and they have the option of reverting to a former state.

In general, you may want to read up on how Digimon is actually played before making judgments.

And the way digimons are controlled by partners just like how pokemon is,

Also wrong. If you've actually watched the show, you'd notice that all a partner really does is provide moral support and power boosts (in the form of either magical objects, cards... depends on the season you're watching).

I don't think it was aimed on an older auidence, as the creator might not have that in mind,

The show outright has character death in just about every season. It's got a lot more violence, and it occasionally implies sexual themes.

In fact, the show was rated Y7 when it hit American airwaves. In comparison, Pokémon has always been rated Y, a step below.

just like Satoshi Tahjiri. Satoshi never meant pokemon for kids

Considering the fact that he created a simple video game for children?

That was what Satoshi said, but indirectly.

Quote, please?

I agree on one information that digimon was based of tamagotchi, but it was also based of the concept of pokemon.

No, actually, it wasn't. There's no proof of this, and it's clear in the gameplay that the two have nothing to do with each other.

I apologize for my tone, but I always get annoyed with this argument because it's usually from someone who hasn't really watched the anime or played the original game. Yes, the two have monsters, but just because they both have monsters doesn't mean one was based on the other. This should be evident enough if someone actually sat down and looked at the franchises themselves. The anime bears really no similarities to Pokémon (in terms of storyline, how Digimon are treated, the role humans take, setting, et cetera), and neither did the original games (as I've stated before when I described how it's played and what the monsters are like).

As for the monsters themselves, same thing, really. Digimon tends to base its creatures more off inanimate objects, dinosaurs, and mythology. If animals are used, then they're usually common animals that usually pop up in the monster genre anyway (such as cats, insects, et cetera). In other words, if a Digimon bears similarities to a Pokémon, it's merely a coincidence.

Edit: I'd also like to mention my perplexity over the fact that you mention an article that proves that Digimon ripped its ideas from Pokémon, yet I can't find it on the site you linked to.

Last edited:

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    1. Do you check out pokemon wikis, such as bulbapedia and wikipedia, before posting anything related to pokemon information? Of course; sharing information is good, but sharing bad information is awful.

2. Do you know about the history of the pokemon world (i mean the history of the story, not the real world of what it was created in)? Pretty much, though I only recently started the 3rd Gen, so my knowledge is patchy but growing.

3. (I rephrased it) Do you play the pokemon games for the sake of the entertainment and do not know anything about it, e.g what pokemon are? A little of both; I play it for entertainment, but also as an electronic collection and for the social aspect such as sites like this.

4. Do you know that digimon copied the concept of pokemon? Yep, and that's why I don't like it.

5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon (nothing pertaining to first drawn) in the pokemon's story (there is an answer but i won't say it)? Any one of the legendaries, though Arceus or Mew are most likely the first.

6. Why do you like pokemon? It entertains me, it gives me something to look forwards to, the world is rich enough to excite me even after nearly ten years and it just never fails to give me something to do.

Sonido

阿散井 恋次
    Years
    Just answer yes or no, if not a short answer.
    Yes I do. I check Bulbapedia, Wikipedia and Serebii for most of my Pokemon info and strategy help. I find them useful and the info up to date
    I don't really think anyone knows the history of Pokemon world. No one has really explained it and the new regions and Pokemon seem to confuse me about the origins of the Pokemon world.
    3. (I rephrased it) Do you play the pokemon games for the sake of the entertainment and do not know anything about it, e.g what pokemon are?
    Yes and No, I play Pokemon but I also know quite a bit about it. I do competitive battling and I know some information about Pokemon. I play it for entertainment sakes but I do know quite a bit about Pokemon
    I'll give it to you this way.
    The first Pokemon games (Red and Blue) went on sale in Japan on - February 27, 1996.
    Digimon started at - March 6, 1999,
    5. Who do you think is the oldest pokemon (nothing pertaining to first drawn) in the pokemon's story (there is an answer but i won't say it)?
    I would think Arceus and Mew since they were known as the creators of Pokemon and It's world.
    Simply because It's a great animé and games entertainment which appeals to me a lot.

Now a question for you. Why did you ask all these questions? I mean most of us would be glad to answer it but I want to know why you posted this.

Artyte

Years
    Now a question for you. Why did you ask all these questions? I mean most of us would be glad to answer it but I want to know why you posted this.

Since this in pokemon general section, I would just like to know whether people really are knowledgable about pokemon before posting anything on the forums. I hate it when i see lots of terrible, misleading and horrendous information on the forums. Such as one of the previous post which states that digimon came out before pokemon, totally incorrect. Gosh, does anyone read news?

In addition, I can get a peace of mind by reading those really encouraging ones.

Back