• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A "Cynica" Debate: Should Cannabis Be Legalised?

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
  • The last debates seem to have fizzled out so I have come up with 2 new ones for fresh discussion.

I you do not know how a "Cynical" debate works, please look here.

As before I will wait for the debate to take-off before I make my input. I will usually make my points for the side that is loosing the debate, just to even it out and increase the quality of the debate.

"Cynical" Debate #3

Topic: Should Cannabis/Marijuana be legalised?

The debate regarding the legalisation of drugs, particularly that of soft drugs like cannabis (or marijuana) is capable of being characterised as one which pits the concept of freedom of the individual against the concept of a paternalistic State. Advocates of legalisation argue, amongst other things, that cannabis is not only less harmful than legal substances like alcohol and tobacco, but as a matter of fact has been proven to possess certain medicinal properties. In stark contrast, those opposed to legalisation argue that the legalisation of cannabis will act as a precursor to increased addiction to hard drugs, and will necessarily lead to an increase in the crime rate itself.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I think it would be an excellent idea if the world was filled with responsible people. But it's not.

Pure and simple, I do not think it should be legalized, because adding something else that can be - and is - misused, even if less harmful than what's already legal, is just another step down.

Years
  • I think it should be legal, but face all the same restrictions that tobacco and alcohol have and then some. I hate that people smoke in public places and I wouldn't want to smell cannabis on top of cigarette smoke so I'm all for limiting its use to people's homes. At the very least people arrested for possessing it shouldn't be sent to prison. That's just a waste.

I honestly don't see much difference between marijuana and alcohol or tobacco. Make 'em all legal or illegal, I don't care which.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    I think it would be an excellent idea if the world was filled with responsible people. But it's not.

Pure and simple, I do not think it should be legalized, because adding something else that can be - and is - misused, even if less harmful than what's already legal, is just another step down.

I see where you're coming from, but you just said something very important. "even if less harmful." that's a very big point. Cannabis causes very few side-effects, even less of which are present sober. The most it can affect you is by slowing your everyday reaction -- and even then, so many people just fake it so much more than it actually is to be funny (because pot does seem to be a lifestyle to most smokers).

As someone who smokes pot, I can tell you right now that I am not addicted to the stuff. The only thing that worries me when I smoke it is that my heart rate does jump right up. And I've heard of many people becoming extremely paranoid when high. I, myself, do get jumpy and much more concerned when under the influence. But other than that, weed is nothing more than a harmless, natural drug. Drug is an awful word to use for it because it engulfs so many harmful substances like heroin and meth.

However, pot isn't all fun and games. It gives a good high for the price, and people can get addicted to the high itself. I know that when I first started smoking, I loved the high and wanted to smoke a lot. But now I've gotten past that. Some people don't, and smoke everyday. Some people are in a bad mood if they haven't smoked that day.

But I do know that a majority of teen pot smokers are somewhat influenced to do it simply because it's illegal. Making it legal takes out a lot of the fun. But that probably won't stop them in the end. But I really think that making it outright legal just allows anyone to smoke it. I think age laws should be put on cannabis and all its forms of smoking, and there should be No Cannabis Smoking areas just like there are everywhere these days. I'm more of a European and believe that the drinking age should be 16 and the tobacco age should be 18, and I think that the Cannabis Smoking age should be 16 as well.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Absolutely. For one, all of the claims that marijuana is a gateway drug is an outright lie. The dutch legalised marijuana, and the actual use of other drugs was lowered. The dutch legalised marijuana and cocaine use actually fell. In Holland, where marijuana is easily accessible, only 13% of people said that they used marijuana. However, in America, almost 40% of people said they did drugs. The gateway drug. It sure is accurate, huh? The gateway theory on marijuana relies on pseudoscience to support its claims. There isn't even a good correlation to show that marijuana even does that.

You also have to remember that no one died from marijuana. People died while they were 'under the influence', but that isn't directly attributed to marijuana. I have yet to find one report of a child, teen, man, or elderly person dieing because they smoked cannabis. Not only that, but marijuana isn't even a drug. It's an herb. The only thing you have to do to make it ready for the black market is dry it. It's the healthiest 'drug' available, since the negative effects are few and far between, and I have never heard of any of them being exclusive to marijuana. You can get bronchitis from marijuana, sure. But anything you inhale with burnt carbon can give you that. It's much healthier than alcohol or tobacco, that's for sure. Studies have even shown that marijuana has little to no addictiveness(?). Not only that, but legalising marijuana will reduce crime rates. I think we can already make an honest (and accurate) assumption that prohibiting an object will lead to organised crime, especially when countries with legalised marijuana tend to have lower crime rates.

Geez, I hope I made sense.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2010
    It's probably about as harmful as World of Warcraft.

But I don't want it to be legal. That is hard to justify, because you can legally engage in much more destructive behavior. But it would still be a determent to society, so I can't support it.

Absolutely. For one, all of the claims that marijuana is a gateway drug is an outright lie. The dutch legalised marijuana, and the actual use of other drugs was lowered. The dutch legalised marijuana and cocaine use actually fell. In Holland, where marijuana is easily accessible, only 13% of people said that they used marijuana. However, in America, almost 40% of people said they did drugs. The gateway drug. It sure is accurate, huh? The gateway theory on marijuana relies on pseudoscience to support its claims. There isn't even a good correlation to show that marijuana even does that.

You also have to remember that no one died from marijuana. People died while they were 'under the influence', but that isn't directly attributed to marijuana. I have yet to find one report of a child, teen, man, or elderly person dieing because they smoked cannabis. Not only that, but marijuana isn't even a drug. It's an herb. The only thing you have to do to make it ready for the black market is dry it. It's the healthiest 'drug' available, since the negative effects are few and far between, and I have never heard of any of them being exclusive to marijuana. You can get bronchitis from marijuana, sure. But anything you inhale with burnt carbon can give you that. It's much healthier than alcohol or tobacco, that's for sure. Studies have even shown that marijuana has little to no addictiveness(?). Not only that, but legalising marijuana will reduce crime rates. I think we can already make an honest (and accurate) assumption that prohibiting an object will lead to organised crime, especially when countries with legalised marijuana tend to have lower crime rates.

Geez, I hope I made sense.

Physically addictive? No it's not.
    Psychologically and socially addictive? Very very much.

And death and injury under the influence is still a cause of the drug. Drunk drivers that crash and die is a side effect of alcohol not of driving.

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Physically addictive? No it's not.
    Psychologically and socially addictive? Very very much.
    It really isn't as addictive as you may think. It can differ depending on the person, but it is always less addicting than tobacco. Is it fine when a healthier 'drug' is prohibited and a dangerous, addictive drug is completely legal?

And death and injury under the influence is still a cause of the drug. Drunk drivers that crash and die is a side effect of alcohol not of driving.
    That's wonderful logic. You can choke on a donut, so should donuts be prohibited?
    I'm talking about direct deaths by drugs, not causes. People DID die from drinking alcohol. People DIDN'T die from marijuana use. The people that died under the influence died from sheer stupidity.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2010
    It really isn't as addictive as you may think. It can differ depending on the person, but it is always less addicting than tobacco. Is it fine when a healthier 'drug' is prohibited and a dangerous, addictive drug is completely legal?

It's less physcially addictive.

It is socially and psychologically addictive in the same way gambling or MMOs are. Which while won't physically hurt you, it is still destructive behavior.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Luck has points as always. And I see where Cassandra is coming from. After a bit of research, about 9% of average cannabis smokers become outright addicted to one degree or another, but some studies say up to 50% have trouble controlling themselves. There's mild withdrawal symptoms, and heavy users have to take up to 8 times the amount to induce the same high as new users... No practical lethal dosage...

After finding this and other studies, I would find legalization acceptable if they set regulations about only using it in designated areas and private property, no using cars or heavy machinery while or after using it, legal age 18 (it IS still mildly addictive, and it is still a high) at least in the US, judging by current standards. Reasonable medical applications make sense, of course.

...And then Magikarp said gambling, and I'm mad at the ESRB again.

Last edited:

OhMyFuzzy69

Dragon Trainer
    Years
  • cannabis should be legal. Its acually good for you. there are chemicals in the plant that not only fight cancer but helps with alot of other health problems but We will never see it legal though. Cali is gonna be as legal as your gonna get

~Fuzzy

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    In this economic time, I can see it actually boosting our economy (America).

So I say yes.

Giraffles <3

podɐʇǝɯ
    Years
  • I think it should be legalized for certain reasons and the stay illegal for certain reasons. The main reason I want it to stay illegal is because a lot of people have no friggin idea how annoying the really are when high and I already can't stand my best friend when high, so if everyone is walking around doing it, I'm going to get aggravated and just beat down a bunch of stoners.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    I believe marijuana should be legalized strongly. For medicinal and recreational.

It's already legal for medical use. That's how Medical Marijuana buildings exist. Governments just have to realize it'd be a benefit to legalize is for recreational use as well.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Legitimate debate threads? Oh sch-aweet.

But yes, marijuana should be legalized in my opinion. As Luck has stated, there aren't DIRECT deaths from marijuana occurring, while alcohol and tobacco do cause deaths directly from using the drug. Do people die under the influence of it? Yes, but not from just smoking it, people do stupid stuff after they have smoked it, therefore causing their deaths. If we can have alcohol and tobacco, which have historically show to cause death directly from taking them, then why not legalize a drug that isn't as harmful that people want?

Speaking of wanting it, if it were to be legalized, why not put a tax on it? If it is in such high demand, a marijuana tax might just help boost the economy back on track. I'm not saying to make it ridiculously high or anything, but seriously, if it is that much of a demand, the purchase of it would give us a lot of tax money, therefore economic help.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • I work in a (legal and clean) hydroponic gardening store. Hydroponics is pretty much synonymous with growing weed. However our store does not encourage that.

With that said: I deal with pot heads and pot dealers every day at my work (though they never say as much) and I can assure you that they are annoying as heck.

Seriously, try having a coherent conversation with a high person. Now imagine that same incoherent high person driving or doing anything else that requires motor skills. Scary.

Now, before you throw in my face "WELL WHY ARE CIGS AND ALCOHOL LEGAL HUH!?!?!?" I'm not into either of those.

Our country does not need another easy way to get behind the wheel under the influence.

And decriminalizing and taxing marijuana will do nothing to stop the dealers and gangs because people will always want it cheaper, easier, or less watered down (which legal MJ surely would be quality controlled). All you're doing is putting it into the hands of people that wouldn't otherwise get it.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • It's less physcially addictive.

It is socially and psychologically addictive in the same way gambling or MMOs are. Which while won't physically hurt you, it is still destructive behavior.

And you're exactly right, man. I hate the stoner mantra of: "It's not addictive!" Well, I guess technically neither is WoW. But people still get addicted to it. It becomes like any other addiction.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Our country does not need another easy way to get behind the wheel under the influence.
    Yeah, because marijuana just has absolutely no positive effects.

All you're doing is putting it into the hands of people that wouldn't otherwise get it.
    Marijuana makes billions in the black market. If history shows us anything, prohibiting popular materials only makes matter worse. Anywho, overall, less people used marijuana when it was decriminalised.

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Yeah, because marijuana just has absolutely no positive effects.

So if the choice is: Smoke marijuana or smoke nothing...smoking marijuana is healthier?

Like that's totally rad dude, let's go toke!111 420 for lyfe!

And I understand that marijuana makes a ridiculous amount of money on the underground.. but I disagree with the "Well, people are going to sell it anyway so you might as well legalize it." argument. Just because people refuse to follow the rules doesn't mean the rules are wrong.

Let me ask you this. Let's say we're discussing legalizing cigarettes, hypothetically, where would you stand?

Edit: Not trying to be confrontational but there are so many more important things to be woried about and working on. Instead of spending hours hollering for marijuana we could be working on more important things. The Iraq war, 40% graduation rate in inner cities, poverty in general.

Last edited:
    Back