• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] A Live-Action Pokemon Movie Might Be On the Way!

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    I honestly never thought I'd see the day, but here we are. Nintendo's been making some massive changes ever since the Wii U proved not to be the best market performer (understatement). The Nintendo NX for one, the mobile industry (Miitomo is kickin some ass), and lots and lots of reports about nintendo further branching out their IPs into the film and television industries (rumors of a Legend of Zelda tv series at Netflix and the such).

Now, Screen Rant and The Hollywood Reporter are reporting that Nintendo and The Pokemon Company are seeking out a movie studio to acquire the rights to and produce a live-action adaptation of the Pokemon franchise.

Screen Rant said:
    The Pokemon Company, which controls the franchise based on the games developed in partnership with Game Freak and Nintendo, has been actively seeking a major film studio to take up the reins of a proposed live-action take on the Pokemon universe, which has thus far inspired 19 (and counting) animated features since 1998. The film rights have been offered up in what's being described as a "top-secret auction," which had reportedly most-recently come down to bids from Warner Bros. and Sony — two of the film industry's most powerful studios. But reports now suggest negotiations may have been upended by the interjection of a potent newcomer: Thomas Tull's independent outfit Legendary Entertainment.

So what does everyone think about this? Personally I'm excited! This could either turn out wonderful or downright terrible and to be entirely honest I wanna see it either way. I just genuinely hope they don't white-wash the characters. I'd say "It's 2016!!" but Exodus Gods and Kings, Prince of Persia, Pan, and Argo are still fresh in my memory.

[1] [2]

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    This is what I wrote in an older thread regarding a Pokemon Live Action - although they were thinking about adapting the current anime cast at one point.

As an extremely large anime live action fan, as much as they could do a Pokemon Live Action, the chances of it being likeable are very small.

Unlike what most people have seen and said, there is a lot of successful and loveable live actions out there - though a lot of people haven't seen them and just go for the regular Dragon Ball and Last Airbender. However, there is a reason shows like that aren't great adapting into live actions is because they just won't work well.

The anime live actions that do become successful are a lot more realistic and therefore are a lot easier to make work - Romance, mystery, some horror, slice of like to name a few.
    However when we go out of the "realistic" scenarios to things like Pokemon the harder it is to make such a thing work (and especially if it was a movie no less).

There have been lots of cases where there have been a lot of out-there, fantasy, adventure, action sort anime adaptations to live action which can work - such as GANTZ and Parasyte (however a lot of their fans from the original sources didn't like it, yet people who watched it without knowledge of the original source loved it.) Mirai Nikki was also an anime/manga which had some pretty unrealistic parts, yet they changed the plot around to make it work and the live action turned out brilliantly.

I am pointing out again, that these live actions were likable to the audience because people had not seen the original source before. Pokemon on the other hand is an incredibly well known series and it will be rare for people to watch a live action of it without knowing it prior. Live action adaptations opinions are often carried by whether a person has seen the original source, and if they have their expectations. So even if an live action were to work out, the chances of people liking it is going to be brought down because of their expectations.

As for your second point. No way in hell Ash or the anime cast should be in it. I'd much prefer the cast to be original.
    Original cuts away half people's expectations and me having to hear how "Actor A is a terrible Ash Ketchum because _____" or how "Misty doesn't have the right hair colour" or how "Brock's eyes are shut enough".

Secondly, as much as Adventure/ Special or Origins cast would be better, I'd have to hear about how the live action cast would ruin how people portrayed the original - even if the acting was good -.-. Literally this bugs me every time I watch a live action anime.

Like I said, I am a huge fan of japanese live adaptations in terms of anime so even if they white-washed the characters, I wouldn't really care as long as they can play their role well - but a lot of people won't be so generous with that comment.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
    I don't know. There's potential for greatness but there's potential for horribleness. Like DB evolution horrible.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
    No way. Prayers answered. I'm excited to see how the Pokemon will look! And I agree with zappyspiker's point about the cast being original. I actually can't even picture how Ash would look... I don't think they would do a great job. Awesome share though, hope this actually happens.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I'll just quote this Disqus, which shows exactly how I feel about this:

The "Hollywood Reporter" source mentions no kind of backing for these claims, not even any kind of anonymous source. It's them saying "These guys are auctioning for movie rights". There is nothing anywhere that could back up their claims, especially with them claiming that all the companies declined to comment. Even Emily Rogers and Liam Robertson are more credible than this, and all they have is hearsay from "anonymous sources".

Take this with a grain of salt, and Echidna, the Zelda TV rumor was debunked by Nintendo themselves last year. Never trust video game-related rumors from other sources unless it's coming straight from the horse's mouth.

Years
    Like the others said, it would be an interesting concept but I could see the movie being a likely commercial flop. I know this because other live-action films based on cartoons suffered a fate like it, such as Dragon Ball and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    :<

LOL (found out about the news first in a random post on NarutoForums, of all places!); I do not know how to feel about this, if this development of a live-action Pokemon movie turns out to be true... {XD} I mean, we already get Pokemon anime movies on a yearly basis, many of which don't even seem to be given the time of day nowadays.. Heh, this brings back to mind the (rather brutal?) fan trailer of Pokémon Apokélypse.. This movie-making execution could end up going wonderfully/unexpectedly right (2012's Rurouni Kenshin movie? Not sure about the 2015 Attack on Titan: End of the World movie), middingly average/above-average (2008's Speed Racer movie, from what I've heard), or horribly wrong (M. Night Shyamalan's 2010 movie The Last Airbender, but that movie had cool posters.. XD) (I haven't fully seen any of those movies, by the way, save for the Pokemon Apokelypse trailer)..

In any case, I guess a live-action Pokemon movie could work, although I would probably dislike it if it was just a retelling of the story of Ash Ketchum or any of the other game player protagonists.. Given that pretty much anyone can be a Pokemon Trainer and the wide variety of Pokemon Trainers already spawned by the Pokemon games, main anime, and even some Pokemon manga, I would hope that the protagonist would be an original creation for the movie. I could relent if existing Gym Leaders and other Pokemon League personnel were used (as they encounter a plethora of Trainers in their line of work); not sure how I would feel if villainous teams and existing Pokemon crises (like the Super-ancient Pokemon (Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza) weather trio crisis) were re-used, though.

As for the Pokemon themselves, I think a style like the type seen in the first Pokemon GO trailer could work; the implementation would be a delicate balancing act in believability and avoiding Uncanny Valley with the visuals that are used. Somebody said that the people who contributed to the 2016 Jungle Book movie's creature designs could work, as well as WETA Digital.. And this Pikachu looks like something I could see happening in terms of implementation. I would expect that Kanto-native Pokemon and the Kanto region itself would receive emphasis for the movie (especially if it is the first of a planned movie series), although it would be nice if some of the other non-Kanto-native Pokemon could cameo as well; it would be a shame to let the sheer number of non-Kanto Pokemon go to waste.. And another person suggested going the "all-computer graphic imagery (CGI)" route, although I feel like if you're going down that route, you might as well make the movie an anime-based affair. >_>

I'm not sure how the pacing would work; it would be kind of hard to condense an average Pokemon game (8 Gym Leaders, Elite 4 members and Champion, in addition to thwarting the villainous team and potentially awakening/encountering Legendary Pokemon) into a 1.5-2-hour movie, unless you spread the plot across multiple movies and/or skipped some Pokemon League members.. Pokemon Origins had the right idea in condensation (although I felt that it should have been longer, and it managed to work because the Kanto story has been told so many times..), so I would be interested in seeing how movie condensation would pan out..

Somebody suggested Brock switching from choosing between "onigiri" and "sandwiches/donuts" and instead eating "rock candy and rocky-road ice cream".. {XD}

And the announcement is also kind of sad; Robin Williams stated that if a live-action Pokemon movie were ever made, he would love to play Professor Oak.. :( I feel that he would have done a good job with the eccentric role..

---

(Apologies if the wording/expression of this comes across weird. -.-)

As for concerns of potential "whitewashing"; that's kind of a mixed bag for me.. Being a fictional world with character designs that don't match reality (all that multi-colored hair!), I would say that the perceived "races" of Pokemon can't really be equated to those in our world, so really anyone could be cast regardless of race. However, with the Pokemon world's regions somewhat being based on real-life areas, I personally interpret that people from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh would be Japanese in real life, with the people from Unova being New-York/New Jersey American in real life (which runs the gamut of races already as a nice melting pot {XD}) and the people of Kalos being French in real life. With this, I would expect to have casting accurately reflect the regional origin of the Pokemon Trainer (Kanto-native Pokemon Trainer being played by a Japanese actor or actress).. I would anticipate that viewers might expect attempts for actors/actresses to match skin tones (if Brock happens to appear but the actor's skin tone doesn't somewhat match the anime depiction, I would expect that it would be jarring for viewers).

Then again, Pokemon doesn't seem to concern itself too much with "race" (forgive me, I feel like I'm using the wrong concept; maybe "culture" would be more appropriate?) except in select circumstances (Pokedex multi-language entries, those Pokemon Trainers that randomly speak other languages, the Pokemon Sun and Moon first trailer emphasizing worldwide connectivity and interaction) and is more focused on story/world-building, so again, potentially anyone could be cast. Casting ultimately should be race-blind (unless race factors in as a story element, like someone's origin/culture), and casting should amass people based on the best talent/ability, although it does seem like there are not many chances for Asian individuals to gain acting roles in Hollywood, so they would greatly benefit from such a likely blockbuster-ish movie opportunity (namely, Japanese actors and actresses, I guess, since Pokemon did originate in Japan and has a lot of Japanese-influenced elements). Sigh...I just hope that the casting department would do a good job, and that the people who are cast do justice to the role.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2016
    Omg, i posted about it minutes ago. I searched on google, and the old thread appeared to me. So i'll copy and paste:

No ash Ketchum. Ash is an anime product, and would be too childish with him as the protagonist. Red need to be the hero, or the other game progatonists depeding what game/region they chose to base the movie.

The game has a interesting lore that can make a good movie. Dimensions, alternate universes, aliens, auras, etc.. Kanto and Johto is fighting the mafia, Hoenn is eco terrorism, Sinnoh is pure sci fi, Unova discuss ideologies and politics, and Kalos is about motarlity/imortality.

The best route is a dark tone, like that fan made pokemon apokelipse and the manga. A miniseries would be a good option too, cayse in a serious pokemon adapatation will need worldbuilding, and if everything were put in a movie will be too rushed and confusing.

The games characters has no personality and background, so like the manga, the writers are free to insert any details they want on them to make the story work.
    :<

Heh, this brings back to mind the (rather brutal?) fan trailer of Pokémon Apokélypse.. This movie-making execution could end up going wonderfully/unexpectedly right (2012's Rurouni Kenshin movie? Not sure about the 2015 Attack on Titan: End of the World movie), middingly average/above-average (2008's Speed Racer movie, from what I've heard), or horribly wrong (M. Night Shyamalan's 2010 movie The Last Airbender, but that movie had cool posters.. XD) (I haven't fully seen any of those movies, by the way, save for the Pokemon Apokelypse trailer)..
    that is the movie I was mentioning earlier, pokemon apokelipse was amateur, but.. hm... I can see something with that tone but not exactly this plot.

I'm not sure how the pacing would work; it would be kind of hard to condense an average Pokemon game (8 Gym Leaders, Elite 4 members and Champion, in addition to thwarting the villainous team and potentially awakening/encountering Legendary Pokemon) into a 1.5-2-hour movie, unless you spread the plot across multiple movies and/or skipped some Pokemon League members.. Pokemon Origins had the right idea in condensation (although I felt that it should have been longer, and it managed to work because the Kanto story has been told so many times..), so I would be interested in seeing how movie condensation would pan out..
    I think a plot similar to pokemon special, focused on the evil team is better than the formulatic beat the gym leader to become a pokemon master. If someone want to see this simplistic plot, the there's the anime the offer this experience. Pokemon is more than beat the gym leaders.

As for concerns of potential "whitewashing"; that's kind of a mixed bag for me.. Being a fictional world with character designs that don't match reality (all that multi-colored hair!), I would say that the perceived "races" of Pokemon can't really be equated to those in our world, so really anyone could be cast regardless of race. However, with the Pokemon world's regions somewhat being based on real-life areas, I personally interpret that people from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh would be Japanese in real life, with the people from Unova being New-York/New Jersey American in real life (which runs the gamut of races already as a nice melting pot {XD}) and the people of Kalos being French in real life. With this, I would expect to have casting accurately reflect the regional origin of the Pokemon Trainer (Kanto-native Pokemon Trainer being played by a Japanese actor or actress).. I would anticipate that viewers might expect attempts for actors/actresses to match skin tones (if Brock happens to appear but the actor's skin tone doesn't somewhat match the anime depiction, I would expect that it would be jarring for viewers).

Then again, Pokemon doesn't seem to concern itself too much with "race" (forgive me, I feel like I'm using the wrong concept; maybe "culture" would be more appropriate?) except in select circumstances (Pokedex multi-language entries, those Pokemon Trainers that randomly speak other languages, the Pokemon Sun and Moon first trailer emphasizing worldwide connectivity and interaction) and is more focused on story/world-building, so again, potentially anyone could be cast. Casting ultimately should be race-blind (unless race factors in as a story element, like someone's origin/culture), and casting should amass people based on the best talent/ability, although it does seem like there are not many chances for Asian individuals to gain acting roles in Hollywood, so they would greatly benefit from such a likely blockbuster-ish movie opportunity (namely, Japanese actors and actresses, I guess, since Pokemon did originate in Japan and has a lot of Japanese-influenced elements). Sigh...I just hope that the casting department would do a good job, and that the people who are cast do justice to the role.

I think all Pokemon protagonists, except maybe Red/Leaf and maybe Ethan/Lyra look western. For example, May and Brendan have blue eyes and auburn hair, I can't see them being japanese. Much less characters like Silver, Steven Stone, Cynthia, etc... Regarding the hair color, mostly those who have red/green and other fantastic collor will be "translated" to brown more or less light, depending on the color palette. Like happened with Bulma.

Yeah, I don't like the eurocetric hollywood standard, but even the japanese have it when design their characters. Would be nice to see Leaf, for example, being japanese or with a beauty like Freida Pinto.

Take this with a grain of salt, and Echidna, the Zelda TV rumor was debunked by Nintendo themselves last year. Never trust video game-related rumors from other sources unless it's coming straight from the horse's mouth.

This was reported on forbes, so I don't think is 100% wrong... But I really hope is not true, because has great chances of be a flop like DBZ. And maybe they are buying the rights, but will not produce anything so early.

Last edited:
    Back