• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A... murder... of Murkrow?

Katrica

Shayan
Years
  • So while I was laying in bed last night, trying to sleep but instead thinking about Pokemon, I was thinking about it.

Pokemon plurals and group names.

Due to being tired and not thinking properly, I didn't think of many Pokemon. A cluster of Electrodes sounds like it makes sense! Or... just a cluster of Electrode? Pikachu or Pikachus? A flock of... Pidgey! A murder of Murkrow?

What group type would you put with what Pokemon? And plural with an s or not?

Shhmew

Years
  • I always tend to just leave off the "s" when I say any Pokemon plural. "a cluster of Electrode" sounds a lot more natural to me than "a cluster of Electrodes", when referring to the Pokemon at least. ;p

A murder of Murkrow sounds right to me. [: Haha. I guess using whatever group name is used for the species they're based off of works, like I could say... a clowder of Skitty. >w<

Evyl

t r a g i c
    Years
  • I actually throw on an 's' to pretty much every Pokemon name when talking about plurals. So like Ponytas and Electrodes. Makes sense to me. For Pokemon with names ending in s though, I just use the word as collective, so like "a group of Gyarados".

I haven't thought about group names for Pokemon, though it sounds like one could have lots of fun thinking up some.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2014
    I use Pokemon as singular and plural but add the 's' to Pokemon names, unless they end with s,z or sh.

As for the collective term, it could also be based on the mythology and dex entries of these pokemon like "an armaggedon of Absols", " a bouquet of Shaymins" and "a pantheon of Arcanines"

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    A coven of misreavus/mismagius
    A rampage of gyarados
    A gang of scraftys
    A field/garden of oddish

Just whatever sounds cool i guess

An army of durant
    A cloud of castform

Miracle Seed

Serpentine trainer
    Years
  • I normally say a bunch of (name here) rather than Sevipers or Drifloons. It sounds awkward to me. I do think that a Murder of Murkrow sounds neat. Or a Flock of Wingull, Stampede of Tauros, and a Pack of Mightyena

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    I don't add the -s when I refer to a group of Pokemon, so for me it's a murder of Murkrow for sure.

* googles animal groups names *
    • a pod of Wailord
    • a bed of Clamperl
    • a skulk of Ninetales
    • a pack of Houndoom
    • a nest of Buneary
    • a bevy of Swanna

Years
  • I'm pretty sure that aside from early anime dubs and a small number of cards in the TCG, the singular and plural names of Pokemon have always been the same. I don't really mind when people add an 's' to pluralize Pokemon's names, but adding an 's' to Pokemon itself ("Pokemons"), really throws me off.

As for some group names of Pokemon, some unorthodox ones like a smack of Jellicent or a bloat of Hippowdon might be fun.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    At first, I used to add 's', but then I heard in the anime that they never really said plural of pokémon like that. So I stopped. I'm not a native English speaker and tend to try and fit in and learn as much as I can, so whenever something seems right, I try it and see how others react. Such as saying "three Geodude" instead of Geodudes. It feels rather natural, actually, but perhaps that's because I'm used to it by now.

I cared a lot about it and used to ponder it just like you, haha, since I sort of want to write as properly as possible when I forum RP.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • A jangle of Klefki
    A brawl of Machamp
    A quarry of Graveler (most Rock-types, actually)
    A court of Gardevoir
    A heap of Garbador
    A rift of Avalugg
    A guard of Aegislash
    A fiesta of Ludicolo
    A flop of Magikarp
    A trailer park of Crustle
    A salon of AMPHABULOUS, because you're worth it
    A stage of Mr.Mime
    An Ohnoyoudi'int of Jynx
    A blazing saddles of Rapidash
    A congress of Wobbuffet
    An alphabetti spaghetti of Unown
    A hax of Mewtwo
    A 'Murica of Snorlax

I think I may have gotten slightly off track.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I go without the s or anything - One Geodude, two Geodude.

When in doubt, X&Y actually gives the answer on how the game canon treats it:
    A... murder... of Murkrow?

(Although there are other examples, e.g. group of Psyduck in DPPt, etc).

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    1. Diglett
    2. Dugduo
    3. Dugtrio
    4. Dugquatro
    10. Decadiglett
    11. MonoDecadiglett
    22. DoDecadugduo
    33. TriDecadugtrio

At least I think that's how it goes

Years
  • I never added the 's' at the end. It doesnt sound right, and they never did it in any of the Pokemon media. I do think that they do referr to groups of pokemon like we do with a pack/flock of ____

Back