• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A New Planet

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    A new planet. This was known to be comming. And it's here now. Somethings tells me that NASA is not doing much resarch right now. XD

Years
    BUt since there is also controversy on whether or not pluto should really be considered a planet(many scientists dont see pluto as a planet because it is a giant iceball, similar to many other ice balls found not orbiting the sun.), what if they decide pluto isnt a planet, and then this one is, but its farther out that Pluto?..... Wow, ive confused myself.(that dont take much XD)

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Dizzy, it couldn't be named Odysseus/Ulysses because planets are named after roman gods, not just roman mythological characters in general ^_^ I don't know enough of the roman equivalents of the greek gods to think of a good name. Ulysses would be a perfect name if they didn't work it that way, in my opinion ^_^ (I also like Prometheus, but it's greek <_<; )

As for Pluto being a planet, it's definitely not a meteor, meteorite, or asteroid as we generally imagine an asteroid, so I've always thought that it's closest in nature to a planet, even if originally it wasn't originally a planet and technically doesn't fill every requirement. And it has a moon named Charon (pronounced Kar-on), which is darned cool. Charon ferried the boat of the dead across the river Styx <_<;

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    Chairman, you do know that we have no idea what you just said, don't you (about mythology and all that)? i always thought of Pluto as a planet, and since it has a name, it would be kinda hard to prove it isn't a planet. after all, like CK said, it does have a moon.

Charon is an awesome name, though.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I suppose nobody will understand that, DP XD Let me break it down--

All planets are named after the various roman gods and goddesses, which are copied off of the more popular greek names, for instance:

Mercury-Roman equivalent of Hermes, the messenger god
    Venus-Roman equivalent of Aphrodite, goddess of love
    Mars-Roman equivalent of Ares, god of war
    Jupiter-Roman equivalent of Zeus, god of gods
    Saturn-Roman equivalent of Cronos, titan and father of Zeus
    Uranus-Roman equivalent of ?????, father of the titans
    Neptune, Roman equivalent of Poseidon, god of the oceans
    Pluto, Roman equivalent of Hades, god of the underworld

But what I was trying to say is that Ulysses can't be a planet name because he is a mortal and not a god of mythology; he was the one who claimed to be invincible after the trojan war and was thus sent on a multi-decade wandering through peril by the gods.

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    Dizzy, it couldn't be named Odysseus/Ulysses because planets are named after roman gods, not just roman mythological characters in general ^_^ I don't know enough of the roman equivalents of the greek gods to think of a good name. Ulysses would be a perfect name if they didn't work it that way, in my opinion ^_^ (I also like Prometheus, but it's greek <_<; )

As for Pluto being a planet, it's definitely not a meteor, meteorite, or asteroid as we generally imagine an asteroid, so I've always thought that it's closest in nature to a planet, even if originally it wasn't originally a planet and technically doesn't fill every requirement. And it has a moon named Charon (pronounced Kar-on), which is darned cool. Charon ferried the boat of the dead across the river Styx <_<;

Duhh I'm aware of that. I'm definately not an idiot :). I love to study mythology.

But most of the good names have been taken, like Ceres and Pallas, for asteroids. Also, Charon, surprisingly isn't pronounced like that. I saw an article about it on Wikipedia. :) It's prounounced Shah-ron.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    My school teaches me everything wrong...I thought it was Sha-ron, but my teachers said differently ;______;

If it were to be named, I would name the new planet Minerva, as that was the Roman goddess of Wisdom, Learning, the Arts, Sciences, Medicine, Dyeing, Trade, and of War, and it has taken us all our science and technology to discover this planet...not as a tribute to her, just as a tribute to what man can achieve <_<;

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
    I thought it was Charon until my father told me that couldn't be, because CH as in K only works on soft vowels (E and I). Plus it's Greek, so Kappa would definately be used.

Lucid

I know, It dosn't exsacty fit along with the others... x.x

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
    Xena? No, that's the single stupidest name for a planet I've ever heard of, lmao. I'm pretty sure they'll change it though. Uranus was the planet "Herschel" until a certain point where it just didnt fit in with the others.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Come on, there's no way the scientific community is going to accept that name...at least, I hope =/ I wonder how much money Lucy Lawless had to slip in their pockets to get that done...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    They aren't o.O All that it said was that's the name that those few men want it to have, it's probably not going to be the name...and I don't even see why this is a planet, it's barely larger than Pluto and even still, does it have a moon? Senda didn't and that's what got it thrown out.

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
    Chairman Kaga said:
    Come on, there's no way the scientific community is going to accept that name...at least, I hope =/ I wonder how much money Lucy Lawless had to slip in their pockets to get that done...

I hate it, they better take that awful name back.

Years
    I think they should learn more about the planet, and find some unique characteristics of it before they name it something stupid! I mean, come on, how much do we even know about this planet? Is it solid or gad? water or ice? life or no?(lets hope not)

Back