• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"A Pokemon Master"

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • We know Ash wants to be a "Pokemon Master", but the idea is never discussed beyond the title. So what do you guys think a Pokemon Master is, exactly? Try and keep the discussion civil.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    To me it's basically defeating each member of the Elite Four and then the current Master.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Becoming a Pokemon master...

The way Satoshi/Ash implied it at first, was someone who can use any pokemon to their fullest potential and become someone Pokemon love and respect.

That's why I think the major conflicts that arise from the first series where based on Satoshi/Ash pokemon. Ash/Satoshi coming to terms with releasing his pokemon, him building bonds with them over time. That's why at the end of the first League in the anime Ash/Satoshi lost because of his disobedient Charizard, the point being 'He will never be a pokemon master if he doesn't reign in his pokemon and make them respect and listen to him.'

Later in the series it's him wanting to go out to other regions to experience more pokemon in the world. but still, it's always been him being someone who pokemon can love and respect. The pokemon league is part of his dream but its really just a footnote to test his bonds with his pokemon. Also this is why I think story wise, Ash/Satoshi boxes his previous pokemon to be able to travel with new pokemon and build new bonds with them(marketing wise its to promote new pokemon) he keeps pikachu beacuse he's his partner. In the end, he test the bonds he's built with his pokemon and see how far they've come in the Pokemon League.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    We never really got much of a definition regarding how to become a Pokémon Master. Until the DP series and its revelations of a Champions' League (which also heavily implied that Ash actually WOULD win Sinnoh), the closest we ever got to an explanation or path to becoming it was either catching all known Pokémon, or otherwise beating the Gym Leaders and challenging and presumably winning the League. Even there, however, Orange Islands conflicted with that idea since Ash won that yet clearly didn't attain the title of Master. Heck, Misty's Water Pokémon Master Goal had more definitions on how to attain it as well as more development than Ash's did, and her goal was cut short. And don't get me started on Dragon Pokémon Master, Top Coordinator, heck, even Kalos Queen.

Guest123_x1

I think literally anything could be used to define "Pokémon Master", and not just according to what fans think Ash sees the coveted title as (you all probably would have figured this out sooner or later). But, since Ash can never seem to win any main series Leagues, it's obvious Ash will never reach his goal in this regard. In fact, he's way short of any fan definition of "Pokémon Master" (and no, I'm trying not to character bash him either, as much as I want him to be replaced as the featured protagonist. This is about as honest of an assessment that I can possibly make of him.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think literally anything could be used to define "Pokémon Master", and not just according to what fans think Ash sees the coveted title as (you all probably would have figured this out sooner or later). But, since Ash can never seem to win any main series Leagues, it's obvious Ash will never reach his goal in this regard. In fact, he's way short of any fan definition of "Pokémon Master" (and no, I'm trying not to character bash him either, as much as I want him to be replaced as the featured protagonist. This is about as honest of an assessment that I can possibly make of him.)

Have to agree there, though honestly, if they didn't even intend for Ash to achieve his goal, they shouldn't have even GIVEN him a goal in the first place.

Honestly, even Misty's Water Pokémon Master had more detailed explanations than Ash's goal.

Years
  • I always think that winning the league is the first step to be a Pokémon master. Ash can do many great things after winning the league. He can catch legendary Pokémon, fight awesome trainers and high level Pokémon, teach the new girl the basics of Pokémon, get popular, slove mysteries, crush the evil organisations, enter competitions like the battle frontier, etc.
    However, Ash loses his improvements every new region.
    The writers and game freak need to think beyond the current end and limits. What are the activities of the pokémon champions? How to be a Pokémon master?
    Sometimes I think that a Pokémon master is a proud, confident & talent trainer, who has skills that surprise the others & fights worthy opponents, not idiots.

zeno101200

The Wanderer
    Years
  • As far as being a Pokemon Master is completely up to what the person in question defines it as. Pretty much after the early anime Ash stops discussing it so much. It seems like a very subjective topic, especially as league champions are defined as "Winner of the region's tournament" rather than "Pokemon Master." So I'd say it's all up to opinion. Maybe Ash is a Pokemon Master in his eyes, as well as his friends' because he cares so much for and helps the Pokemon in his team. Or because he won the Orange Islands. Or maybe because he achieved what no one else has with Ash-Greninja. Or maybe because he saved the world (or smaller population) tens of times by now through the movies and the actual anime.

Back