• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] About the basics of Git and starting a project with the Pokeemerald-expansion

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
  • Why does this Error pop up now?

$ git checkout battle_engine_v2
    error: pathspec 'battle_engine_v2' did not match any file(s) known to git
    Are you sure that you cloned DizzyEgg's Pokeemerald repository and not Pret's?
    That error is basically telling you that there isn't a branch called "battle_engine_v2" in your repository.

If you're sure that you have cloned Egg's repository, then try git fetch master and then try git checkout battle_engine_v2 again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Without knowing what did you do, it's hard to tell. If you're using the item_expansion branch though, those items should be labeled as ITEM_X_DEFENSE and ITEM_X_SP_ATK.

I am using them what I did was commit a few of the branches from different repositories the Gen4bike and Gen6 EXP Share from your repo

A few from Ghoul and Dizzy Made sure to correct all the conflicts as well

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    A few from Ghoul and Dizzy Made sure to correct all the conflicts as well

I believe this is caused by Ghoulslash's bag sort feature. What Lunos said should fix your issue—just go into item_menu.c and find the cases of ITEM_X_DEFEND and ITEM_X_SPECIAL and change them to the proper values of ITEM_X_DEFENSE and ITEM_X_SP_ATK respectively.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2022
    Hi I've been getting a lot of makefile errors when trying to compile this and I was wondering if anyone could help me with it. The most recent one looks like this and I'm not sure what to make of it

Code:
    $ make -j4
    arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym MODERN=0 -o build/emerald/src/pokemon_size_record.o build/emerald/src/pokemon_size_record.s
    make: *** [Makefile:255: build/emerald/src/pokemon.o] Error 1
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym MODERN=0 -o build/emerald/src/pokemon_jump.o build/emerald/src/pokemon_jump.s
    arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym MODERN=0 -o build/emerald/src/pokemon_storage_system.o build/emerald/src/pokemon_storage_system.s

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hi I've been getting a lot of makefile errors when trying to compile this and I was wondering if anyone could help me with it. The most recent one looks like this and I'm not sure what to make of it

Code:
    $ make -j4
    arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym MODERN=0 -o build/emerald/src/pokemon_size_record.o build/emerald/src/pokemon_size_record.s
    make: *** [Makefile:255: build/emerald/src/pokemon.o] Error 1
    make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym MODERN=0 -o build/emerald/src/pokemon_jump.o build/emerald/src/pokemon_jump.s
    arm-none-eabi-as -mcpu=arm7tdmi --defsym MODERN=0 -o build/emerald/src/pokemon_storage_system.o build/emerald/src/pokemon_storage_system.s
    Are you sure that's the full log given to you by the Terminal?
    I honestly never came across anything like that :/ ...

I tried to merge the branches just now, and everything is still working perfectly and exactly the same as I explain it in the main post.
    I'd suggest you to start from scratch.

Years
  • Hey guy. Long time no see.

Have you faced this error?

Spoiler:

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years

Spoiler:

You are missing agbcc

Years
  • You are missing agbcc
    I have in tools folder. Inside has 3 folders:
    bin with 3 files, lib with 2 .a files and include with 2 folders and a lot of .h files.
    Am I missing something?

I am trying to compile with wsl2.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years

sed: file ../../ld_script.sed line 3: extra characters after command
    I have in tools folder. Inside has 3 folders:
    bin with 3 files, lib with 2 .a files and include with 2 folders and a lot of .h files.
    Am I missing something?

I am trying to compile with wsl2.
    How did you clone the repository? Did you use Git for Windows? If you did, don't.
    You should be using the git clone command as stated in the main post of this thread.

Also, I do not offer support to WSL2 as I myself haven't tried it yet, so if you are not willing to follow this tutorial to a T, I'd suggest you to open a new thread in the Decomp & Disassembly section of the forum for your needs.

Years
  • How did you clone the repository? Did you use Git for Windows? If you did, don't.
    You should be using the git clone command as stated in the main post of this thread.

Also, I do not offer support to WSL2 as I myself haven't tried it yet, so if you are not willing to follow this tutorial to a T, I'd suggest you to open a new thread in the Decomp & Disassembly section of the forum for your needs.

I'm following tutorial the way you made with every step made in cmd, I used wsl just to compile, but there is just one step that I skipped because pokemon.c conflict doesn't happen here. I forgot to say that on the first try. Sorry 😔
    Maybe something weird is happening here on merge.

I don't know if wsl2 can be the issue, it worked nice with your wsl tutorial and compilled the poke_emerald succefully.

I'll try to compile the branches separated and try to compile with item merged and after with everything merged to see where the issue raises.

Years
  • Would you know why this error appears?
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Sorry, I don't. Did you clone Pokeemerald by using the git clone command as stated in the main post, or did you download it from the repo at github.com?

I used these commands:
    Spoiler:

The error demonstrated in my image occurs after using the make compare command.
    Spoiler:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I used these commands:
    Spoiler:

The error demonstrated in my image occurs after using the make compare command.
    Spoiler:
    If you're trying to build a clean ROM of Pokémon Emerald, this is not the thread for you.
    In this thread, the focus is to build a ROM of Pokémon Emerald with Pokeemerald containing DizzyEgg's feature branches specifically.

That being said, the actual errors that are not allowing a ROM to be built, which are:
    make[3]: *** [Makefile:115: rom] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:169: payload] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:332: berry_fix] Error 2
    They're errors that I really don't know how to help you with regardless, as I never came across them myself, and they simply do not happen on my end.
    Plus, I do not know the exact steps that you are doing on your end.

The only thing I can suggest you is to start from scratch.
    EDIT: Oh yeah, if you actually used git clone in the terminal/shell of maybe Git for Windows, you utilized a GUI for Git at any point at all, I highly suggest you not to do that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Okay, thanks for explaining, and sorry for commenting in the wrong place.

Back