• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Accessing rom scripts for rom hacking on Android

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2021
    Hello all,
    I just wanted to start hacking a gba Pokémon rom on my Android, I found a tool called g3d for android and can use that but I need to know how to find the scripts to change the code because that is what my rom hack is mainly focused about...I want to change the internals of the game's behaviour(but not too much). So pls, how do I access the code/scripts on android?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @Gunroar Cannon

I'm not sure whether there is some kind of program that can execute .exe files on Android. But G3Tools (the tool you mean?) is probably the only tool available specifically for Android. For binary ROM Hacking on PC, XSE is the standard scripting tool that is used. I don't know a convenient way to make it work on Android, if there even is a way to make it work.

But I wouldn't recommend making a ROM hack on Android at all. For convenience sake, it would be much easier to make a hack on your PC. Pretty much any toaster you can buy nowadays should be able to run any ROM hacking tool.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2021
    Hey Gunroar Cannon, welcome to Pokecommunity.

I moved your thread here, to ROM Hacking Help.
    Oh, thnx. I didn't know 😅

@kalarie
    @Gunroar Cannon

I'm not sure whether there is some kind of program that can execute .exe files on Android. But G3Tools (the tool you mean?) is probably the only tool available specifically for Android. For binary ROM Hacking on PC, XSE is the standard scripting tool that is used. I don't know a convenient way to make it work on Android, if there even is a way to make it work.

But I wouldn't recommend making a ROM hack on Android at all. For convenience sake, it would be much easier to make a hack on your PC. Pretty much any toaster you can buy nowadays should be able to run any ROM hacking tool.

Hmmm... I see.
    For the meanwhile could I use an app like Hex editor? I don't know how that works? Does it? (Oh, and yes I meant G3tools, thnx).

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2021
    One of the main reasons I want to make a rom hack is mainly because I want to learn hexadecimal code. Making a rom hack gives me motivation to learn it. 😬
    😆

Any good tutorials on editing scripts in hexadecimal?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    One of the main reasons I want to make a rom hack is mainly because I want to learn hexadecimal code. Making a rom hack gives me motivation to learn it. 😬
    😆

Any good tutorials on editing scripts in hexadecimal?

How to Learn Hexadecimal

romhacking itself doesn't really use a lot of hexadecimal, by that I mean we're not just directly inputting different hex values and making things happen, we use tools.

Combined with some basic knowledge of byte structure to get things done.

The tools make use of existing code to make the changes we want, which are then represented as changes in the bytes, which are in hexadecimal format.

Pretty much people can hack without knowing hex, but you're typically more aware of your options if you do.

For Scripting use XSE or HMA

For Mapping use Advance Map 1.9.2

For everything else use HMA.

if you don't know the acronyms just do a quick search around here.

And I also wouldn't recommend using android.

Back