• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Adding Gen IV Pokémon/Abilities/Items/Moves

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2021
    So, I have a specific request here to make. I'm looking to specifically update one of the Gen III games. (Probably FireRed, though not entirely sure on that one), to play more like a Gen IV game.
    This means
    - Physical Special Split
    - Sinnoh Pokémon
    - Gen IV Moves / Abilities / Items
    - Gen IV Movesets for the Pokemon.

Though, I'm not really sure how to do this. I'm fairly new to ROMHacking and would like advice / a recommended tool to enact this.

(PS: I did look into Leon's base, but it says something about not being to change learnsets after it's applied, and that doesn't really allow the whole Gen IV movesets aspect...)

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    There are plenty tools around to do what you want through binary hacking. Gen 3 Hacking Suite (G3HS) lets you easily change everything about a pokemon including movesets and abilities as well as sprites and evolution. If you want to expand the pokedex tools like Pokemon Game Editor (PGE) have that functionally I believe. As for adding new moves, it's easy enough as long as the moves don't do anything exceptionally new. Gen 3 Tools (G3T) would help. If Gen IV moves need to do new and funky things, you'd have to write battle scripts, which isn't something I know about but I know that a tool called Battle Script Pro exists. And finally with the physical/special split I think there's a patch for that floating around which would do it for you, try searching for it :)

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    If you're using FireRed, install the CFRU and DPE. You'll find it easily with the search feature.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2021
    About that, I read through the CFRU & DPE Guide, but it said that after it was inserted, you could no longer edit move sets.

(And I think that the CFRU post said not to edit the ROM at all after insertion, but that info may be outdated)

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    About that, I read through the CFRU & DPE Guide, but it said that after it was inserted, you could no longer edit move sets.

(And I think that the CFRU post said not to edit the ROM at all after insertion, but that info may be outdated)

you can run basic scripts on the test file generated after you patch cfru.

but yes you can't edit movesets etc after patching cfru, but only because those are constants meaning once set that can't be edited. (least not yet, once its figured how to get learnsets into hma we should be able to change them whenever we want.)

If you want to change moves, just edit the file and clean the repository from the command line after each edit, by typing cmd in the address bar of the master folder/root folder (if on windows) then type python scripts//clean.py all

then run the cfru patch again. to generate a new test file, with the updated move sets etc.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2021
    I may be wrong, but aren't the post-Gen III moved added after patching cfru?
    So I wouldn't be able to put them in before it, which kinda puts me between a rock and a hard place.
    Still, I may have misunderstood it completely.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I may be wrong, but aren't the post-Gen III moved added after patching cfru?
    So I wouldn't be able to put them in before it, which kinda puts me between a rock and a hard place.
    Still, I may have misunderstood it completely.

before you patch cfru you edit the files in the folders to make it add the features you want. before you patch you go to the learnset file, and decide what moves you want each pokemon to have.

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2021
    So does this means that the Gen IV moves and abilities will be there before I patch, so I can add them to the learnsets?
    Again- sorry if it sounds like I'm asking the same question over and over again, just making triple sure.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    So does this means that the Gen IV moves and abilities will be there before I patch, so I can add them to the learnsets?
    Again- sorry if it sounds like I'm asking the same question over and over again, just making triple sure.

To clarify what he's saying, he's saying to change the learnsets in CFRU's files, and then apply CFRU to your ROM, not changing the ROM to beforehand

Back