• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new charas to the player metadata

xalien95

Developer of Pokémon Omicron
Years
  • Hello, I need to add a new or more characters to the player metadata.
    I found two modules that seem to define the PlayerA,B,C,etc. array in metadata.txt.
    Do I have to edit only CharacterProperty and PlayerProperty in PokemonEditor?
    How I could call then the new added chara?
    With @character_name=meta[8]?

Thanks in advance (:

EDIT: I found I need to add also a new "string" (dunno.. in the module PokemonMetadata there are six "s", and in Pokémon Essentials 5 there were five "s"... I need to add a new string also with the new chara I'm adding).
    What I need to do then?

Thank you (:

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    This is the part (actually, your first post was the part) where you need to be clear about what you want - giving an example of how you want to use whatever solution you're looking for helps a lot. Do you want to have more than 8 possible characters for the player to choose from (currently there are only 2 defined: boy and girl), or do you want to have additional charsets for each player character (in addition to the walking charset, the running charset, the fishing charset, etc.)?

If the former, read the tutorial FL linked to.

If the latter, ignore the metadata stuff and simply hardcode the use of your new charsets depending on the value of $PokemonGlobal.playerID (0=PlayerA, 1=PlayerB, etc.). The use of fishing charsets used to be hardcoded, so you can have a look at an old version of Essentials (version 9 or older) for how they used to work and mimic it. Trust me, it's easier.

xalien95

Developer of Pokémon Omicron
    Years
  • If the latter, ignore the metadata stuff and simply hardcode the use of your new charsets depending on the value of $PokemonGlobal.playerID (0=PlayerA, 1=PlayerB, etc.). The use of fishing charsets used to be hardcoded, so you can have a look at an old version of Essentials (version 9 or older) for how they used to work and mimic it. Trust me, it's easier.
    I added a lot of characters (PlayerA1, PlayerA2, etc.. plus PlayerB1, PlayerB2, etc.. PlayerB9).
    For each character I have to set a different charset, so the best solution would be defining it using the metadata PBS (the bike charaset when the player isn't moving, the charaset when the player is saving, etc..).
    I tried to find the differences between Essentials 5 and Essentials 12.1 and I found them, but I'm afraid of not having considered all the needed things to correctly add a new charaset to each character.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The easiest solution is to hardcode all that, as I said. To fiddle with the contents of a player line in the metadata involves all the work of hardcoding it anyway plus more effort in getting the metadata to work properly.

Back