• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Types into Emerald

Years
To make it appear in the Pokedex, navigate to 56EFC6, just like the palette thing you will find an index list. Place the index of your type here, though note that you only have space for 1 entry, you will need to expand otherwise.

I was wondering how you would go about expanding.
Would I just have to repoint the data?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
Hi,Im new to hex editing and need some help with adding more than just fairy type. on Step 5 it says "you will need to add pointers to the end of this table that will point to more entries."
I don't know what I have to do for this step. On Step 6 It Says "To add new entries just add the next series of numbers into the table" and "For every new type afterwards just add 08 to the first byte, leading to C0, C8 etc."
I Don't know what I have to edit for this either. This is what I'm up to atm. Hopefully someone can help me figure out what I'm failing to understand

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
I figured out Step 5 & 6 on my own, But now I happen to be stuck on the palette editing. I'm adding Fairy & Sound type, Using the type chart that was linked (with fairy) that I edited to have Sound on it, It's not using any colors that aren't taken from the others. and with adding more can I add fairy onto that extra spot and have the other in free space?

EDIT: Figuring it out more but still lost with all the palette stuff like "If you want to include more however, you will need to repoint this into free space, the pointer is located at 1C439C. " I don't know what I have to repoint.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 4, 2021
Does anyone have an ips file with fairy type? Please? I tried so many times and I still can't do it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 23, 2020
STEP 3 part 2
(You will need to add one more entry for the Fairy-type or others. This is pretty simple, first put a pointer to the text you used for the name of the new type, followed by the index 17, followed by 00 00 00. You will need to do this for every other type you add too. You can also if you feel the need replace all the pointers in the table to the new offsets of your respective Type Names, though this is not necessary)

can you send a picture ??? i am still beginner

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 13, 2020
You skipped a step in Part 1. How do I open the type chart in unLZ GBA?
It doesn't let me open BMP files in unLZ GBA
Edit: Got past Part 1 Step 3. Now stumped at Part 1 Step 5. What do you mean by "place it in more free space"?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
New here...
So I followed every step just like yours but the icon showing in the summary is for flying type, and then my rom resets. Maybe late on this post but I'm hacking now
Thanks!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 4, 2021
Please if someone can help me.
Everytime i get to Summary of the Pokémon the game freeze and about a minute later restart the game...
Please someone tell me why or something :'v

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 7, 2022
Please God can someone explain this to me in layman's terms. I'm trying to add two types to my rom hack. Fairy and Shadow, I understand the steps to get the bitmap into the game. I've done that. But I have no idea what I'm doing when I get to the hex editor.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 29, 2021
Hi, I've been trying to get this to work for a while now and I just can't seem to get it to.

The first time I tried, Fairy was almost fully functioning (i.e. the icon displayed perfectly) but it seemed that no type had any effectiveness offensively and the type display in battle was glitched (e.g. psychic displayed as 'C' in battle). The next time, the offensive & defensive type matchups were the only thing that worked whereas the icon displayed as Flying and made my game crash, so I'd just like a bit of help with trying to follow the tutorial because I don't see where I'm going wrong.

Step 1-5 says '5C' in writing and then '6C' in the image. Someone above said that 6C is the right one but the image in the next step makes it seem like OP really did use 5C. Normally I would just go with 5C but I feel like I need to be super particular about how everything ends up, because no matter what I do my type effectiveness chart does not seem to start at the same spot even when I follow the tutorial to a T. From then on everything is like 2 bytes to the right (minimum) from the tutorial steps. I tried to adjust the pointers accordingly and ended up with the file I mentioned earlier, where type matchups are functional but the game crashes if I try to display the fairy icon on status pages.

The last step is also a little unclear about which pointer to replace - do I repoint with 25 8B 5E 08, or the location of the new type name again?

I really appreciate the effort into making this tutorial and for the most part it's really easy to understand, but I'd love some more help from anyone willing. I was so close to finishing my romhack but I've been stuck on this final step (i.e. adding Fairy) for like, three days and it's really demotivating and I just want to play my own twist on Emerald haha.

Thanks again <3

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2023
Under Part 3 Step 2:
To make it appear in the Pokedex, navigate to 56EFC6, just like the palette thing you will find an index list. Place the index of your type here, though note that you only have space for 1 entry, you will need to expand otherwise.
Can somebody explain how to do this part to me?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 6, 2021
Am I just really dumb or something? Because I genuinely have no idea what indexing is ;-;

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Feb 4, 2021
Hi, I'm very bad at this, but, whenever I use an attack in this type, all it does is the effect, but no damage. I think it's messing up because it doesn't know whether it's a physical or special type, so it just decides that it's a status type or something. Plz send help

Edit: Nevermind, It was just messing up because of weird reasons(The attack was set to an effect that ignores damage)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
So... about the bag icon fix.
I just spent the past hour or so yanking my hair out trying to follow the post and figure out why it kept not working.
The problem was here:
Using any hex editor (I'm using HxD), replace all 38 43 DC 08 (image pointers) with the location of your image with the format of XX YY ZZ > ZZ YY XX 08 (I'm using 00 1A 9C 08).
That's the original palette pointer, not the image pointer. You actually need to replace 78 43 DC 08. :p

AdeptSceptile

That One With A Garbage Nature
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
I just wanted to say that you can replace the contest types as well.

AdeptSceptile

That One With A Garbage Nature
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
Can I release an ips patch for pokemon emerald which adds the fairy type ?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I have a question on this issue. Suppose I apply the patch or enter the fairy type manually. Then I modify the .ini of the G3Tools and I can modify the movements that will be fairy type. What type of movement will it be, physical or special? Because as far as I know there is no mention of which type of move the fairy type will use from now on (as well as by default the water type is special and the normal type is physical type).

Back